I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Drilling cork rings in a lathe
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 29, 2008 01:29AM

Thanks for the recent article and pictures about drilling cork rings - using a lathe to spin the cork and a fixed drill to bore the hole.

I have used the lathe for years, and have always used the lathe to drill hole into something round that I wanted centered.

I don't know why I haven't used the lathe before for doing the cork drilling. So simple, slick, dead on accurate etc. etc. etc.

Wonderful idea that works very well and it is something that I should have been doing for the last years.

This method is far superiro to the use of a drill press, since it is a guarentee that your hole will always be centered in the cork. That isn't true for a drill press.

If you happen to get a cork ring or other ring that is a bit larger or smaller, the latch chuck will self center the ring, and you will be set with a centered hole.
The drill press is all right, as long as the drill jig is setup and the rings are always exactly the same size.

Take care
Roger

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Drilling cork rings in a lathe
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 29, 2008 08:57AM

If your lathe chuck jaws are deep enough to allow it, you can often bore the rings 2-up, which cuts the overall time required by half.

And... put a piece of tape on the drill bit to mark the depth required. You don't want to run an expensive drill bit into the back of the chuck.

Posted by: Harold Dean (207.194.36.---)
Date: August 29, 2008 09:25AM

I drill the wood inserts that I include in my cork grips on the lathe prior to assembly. This way I can drill them at 3/8 or 7/16 before I glue them together with the cork. I do this with my reel seats as well. I drill them to 3/8 prior to turning them. It's a lot easier than trying to drill them out afterwards, and no risk of splitting or chipping the wood.

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 31, 2008 02:29AM

Thanks Roger,
What type of bit do you like to use?

Jeff

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 31, 2008 08:37PM

Jeff,
The fosner bit is nice if you happen to have one the right size.
Otherwise I use a conventional machinest bit that I have modified.
I will take a standard machinest bit, and face it off flush on my disk sander. i.e. I take all of the cutting edge off the bit. I also take all of the point off the bit.
Then, I put sharp edges back on the cutting edges of the bit, with a very flat edge - and nearly no point. i.e. I make the bit essentially flat on the end.
The result of this is that the bit becomes much more of a shaving bit - as opposed to a chunking bit - as happens with using a standard machinest drill on cork.
The idea of facing off the drill is to make the bit much less effective and allow the bit to only take very small bites of the cork as it spins. This results in a very clean cut, with no chunking of the cork.

I use the same type bit, if I want to drill rubber or eva. Very very clean cut.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 31, 2008 09:11PM

Since I always glue up rings on a threaded rod and then transfer to a mandrel for turning/shaping, that seems like an awful lot of work for nothing. I have a benchtop drill press and I use a Flex coat pilot drill (usually a 3/8) and just turn it on grab a ring, push it up the bit and chuck it in a bin and do up as many as I want/need Probably take less than 5 seconds. If it's off a few mm, it doesn't really matter at all since after I glue them up and clamp them on threaded rod, I put the cured grip on a mandrel and turn/sand/shape on the lathe. If you use a lathe tool, the grip HAS to be perfectly concentric to the hole, no matter if it was a little off when you started. Subsequent reaming will give a nice interior surface for mounting to the blank. I use that same method with burl, foam, EVA and it works very well

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 31, 2008 10:39PM

Mike,
I hear what you're saying about simply feeding the cork against the turning bit. I'm more interested in knowing how to avoid tearing a jagged hole when the bit emerges from the cork. BTW, I don't have a drill press so may try the lathe method.

Jeff

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 01, 2008 01:00AM

Jeff, If I get that, I just flip the ring and go through from the other side! I got the drill press from Harbor freight for $39

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.chi01.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 14, 2008 10:07PM

I use a sharp regular bit in a drill press, take it slowly, let the ring spin a little as the drill contacts it to allow it to center, and have no problems with concentricity (that subsequent turning on a mandril won't fix) and no noticeable chunking on the drill's exit from the cork. I am using burl. I use 7/16 threaded rod for the mandril, turn the handles in the drill press (I have a 7/16 bore ball bearing mounted in a piece of wood that I clamp to the drill press bed to give me a stable setup when turning using the drill press.) Using 7/16 means that I have less hand reaming to do-you can use whatever diameter makes sense for the butt size of the rod you are building.

I'm sure a lathe would work better, but this method with the drill press is pretty good.

Mick

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster