I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

2009 Custom Rod Expo
Posted by: mike brune (---.fidnet.com)
Date: August 28, 2008 06:15PM

Tom,
I would like nothing better than to come to my second Rod Expo, but it does get costly with gas, motels and all the goodies. What I really want to come for is the seminars. Have you thought about taping them and selling DVD's and using the profits for the library program or a youth fishing program. I would be more than happy to buy such a DVD as I'm sure others would also. Coming from Missouri gets costly, then trying to get vacation also is a hassle.

Just a thought.
Mike

Mikes Custom Fly Rods

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 2009 Custom Rod Expo
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 28, 2008 06:20PM

There is next to no demand for such DVDs, sorry. I've been down that road before. The cost to tape, edit, produce and sell them would never be offset by the small demand. We'd have to sell hundreds, which we'd never do. Very sorry. Hope you can understand.

Beyond that, a taped seminar is one of the worst study guides possible. To put out something like that you'd want a true studio environment where you can do what you need to do aimed at the DVD viewer, not a large audience. Taped seminars really don't make good rod building DVDs. That may be why they don't sell very well.

I know it can be expensive to attend, but I try to make it a good value that it's worth the money spent. Otherwise the DVD thing just isn't within my means. Again, sorry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2008 06:35PM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 28, 2008 06:44PM

Mike I agree with you
It does cost to attend!
But the return on investment of the last 3 I have attended has so far exceeded any investment I’ve made to the point I could not imagine not attending.

I am aware that my costs are not as high as some others. But knowing what it cost to travel cross country if I had to I would make the trip.

Posted by: mike brune (---.fidnet.com)
Date: August 28, 2008 07:02PM

Tom,
I guess I'll just have to come and go fishing on the way home. Any good suggestions?

Thanks

Mike

Mikes Custom Fly Rods

Posted by: Pete Sansone (---.sip.bct.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 28, 2008 07:09PM

I just started to read on this forum right before the last show. I wanted to go really badly but it was short notice for me. I'll make next years if I have to ride my bike (no motor) as I' not swimming in $$$ either! I can't wait to meet so many of you guys. Just try to think of any other hobby, craft or line of work where you can go to one place and meet the best of the best and not only will they give you the time of day, from what I've heard and seen here on the board, they will share their secrets with you and truely want to help you succeed. You would be hard pressed to find anything like it in any endevor anywhere! This is a special group of people we have here and I for one just can't wait to be there in the epicenter of it all! I'll see you in Febuary!!!

Snooker Pete

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 28, 2008 07:47PM

One thing you might do is look for someone to share gas,etc with. As it gets closer, you will start seeing post here looking for people to share rides. Same with rooms, IMO, the Radisson, ICRBE Central LOL (about 100 yds, door to door) is the place to be. They have a show special $79 a night (per room, not person) and you would have NO problem getting a room mate.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: August 28, 2008 08:39PM

I can fully appreciate the fact that sometimes a guy just doesn't have or can't appropriate the money no matter how good the event is. The suggestions from others here are good - doubling up with another builder is one way to shave costs. Feel free to use the buy/sell/board to post asking for carpools or guys to share a room with.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 28, 2008 09:26PM

Mike there are several fantastic fishing lakes with in and hour of the show, if you are into bass fishing.

Posted by: Ray Cover (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: August 28, 2008 09:56PM

I sent my table form and money in today so I guess I will be there.

Ray

Ray Cover
My Projects Blog
[raycover.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Mark Carlton (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 28, 2008 11:13PM

The excuse I use is that I save enough on all the blanks and other assorted goodies that I actually make money by attending. So far my wife is buying that story. And there is some truth to it if you really break things down.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 29, 2008 01:03AM

I put my repair money in a "show fund" all year It's worth it even if you had to hitch hike!!!

Ray,
Looking forward to meeting you and actually seeing your work!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 29, 2008 09:22AM

Ray I am respectfully applying for the sole licence to market and sell the solid brass engraved Perma Gloss application container that will undoubtedly be displayed on your table for the descriminate and well heeled rodbuilders in attendance. Please do not bring duplicates as it could damage the value of Swampland's commission after applicable discounting. I was really glad to hear of you intentions to display your work! If you have the opportunity to make just one more I will fund the cost of the item if you will also engrave the name of Ralph O'Guinn on the side. I do not know if you know Ralph or not but everyone who attends the show would really like for Ralph to leave this show with something special.

Date: August 29, 2008 09:36AM

Spelling it that way would make it special indeed, but perhaps not in the way you, or he, would want.

"Ralph O'Quinn" would be better.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 29, 2008 01:37PM

Oh My!

Thanks Tom for catching the typo - "Blue Beard" would have me flocked for sure!

Posted by: Ray Cover (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: August 29, 2008 01:54PM

Well, Now I know what I'm doing the next time an engraving job is going sideways. :-)

Ray

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster