I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

installing fly rod fighting butt
Posted by: Bil Gburek (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: August 28, 2008 12:19PM

I'm beginning to build my first saltwater fly rod, but am at my home away from home with no directions or similar resources. I have a PacBay RS8A machined aluminum reel seat and an AmTak F2M fighting butt with a plug that fits nicely into the end of the reel seat. However, I'm at a loss as to how to get these pieces together when the reel seat is installed over the blank? The smaller diameter extension of the fighting butt plug that fits into the reel seat is too large to fit inside the butt of the blank I have, so it seems as though I need to leave some space inside the back end of tthe reel seat for it to fit. However, this would give less contact between the blank and the reel seat -- in other words, the blank wouldn't go all the way through the reel seat. So, when putting the reel seat over the blank using arbors, do I just leave it short so there's enough space for the fighting butt plug to fit inside? Or is there some other option? Or am I off base? Or do I simply have the wrong components? I hope I've explained the problem. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The Spanish are on the beach and I'd love to get a fly to them!

Bilgee

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: installing fly rod fighting butt
Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.phlapafg.covad.net)
Date: August 28, 2008 12:36PM

Someone will probably tell me that I'm doing it wrong, Bil, but I've run across the exact situation you're describing a couple of times, and what I've done is:

1) Epoxy fighting butt to the reel seat
2) After that's dry, apply the whole thing (reel seat / fighting butt) to the rod.

I do think it's a bit better when you can fit the fighting butt stem inside the blank, but if the components don't allow me to do so, I just put the stem against the end of the blank rather than inside it. I've done this on a few saltwater fly rods without a problem. The reel seat does come into contact with the blank less this way, but you're only sacrificing about an inch of a 4-inch reel seat, and if you're using good epoxy (which you should be doing), the 3 inches or so that's left is plenty of area to secure a good bond.

This is one of those issues, by the way (this is the editorial portion of this post) that seems much, much more important when you're building the rod than it really is. Just put the thing together, wrap it, and go fishing with it. Once the epoxy has dried, you'll never think about this again.

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: August 28, 2008 12:44PM

I do the same Chris but I would add this suggestion:

Make sure you slap a piece of tape over the end of the threaded hole so that when you glue the seat to the blank the glue cant go into the threads and cause you some grief.

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: August 28, 2008 05:07PM

Bil,
That is the way it is suppsed to be. In addition to the above - make sure you "cut" a channel parallel to the seat in the bushing to alow the excess epoxy AND AIR to flow out. Otherwise you will develop an "air-lock" and your seat will want to "oooze" off of the bushing backwards. I us vasoline to keep the threads from gluing.

Herb

Posted by: Bil Gburek (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: August 28, 2008 05:28PM

Thanks for the help, fellas. Glad to hear I was going in the right direction. But I didn't realize that the threads on the fighting butt stem went right through the plug and there was a chance of bunging things up by letting epoxy get onto the threads of the plug -- so thanks for this info and ways around it. Additionally though, it struck me when thinking about the construction that I could also put an arbor around the butt plug extension, helping to stabilize the installation a little more when the plug is epoxied into the reel seat. This sound OK?

Bilgee

Posted by: Harold Dean (207.194.36.---)
Date: August 29, 2008 10:19AM

Bill

I don't think an arbor would be necessary. That's just one more thing that would have to be epoxied in place and thus one more place for a point of failure.. The fighting butt should self centre on the end of your reel seat, if that is your concern. Karry and Herb's suggestions are right on the money. I didn't tape the end of the plug on the first one I did, and sure enough some epoxy got into the plug. No big deal though, in this case all I did was grind off a couple threads on the fighting butt section itself, and that solved it. Since then though, I use the tape.

Harold

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster