I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxing tip top problem
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: August 27, 2008 09:08AM

I used to use ferrule cement to install my tip tops until I looked up one time and saw it pointing 90 degrees to the right while fishing so I switched to epoxy. Once in awhile it seems air gets trapped inside the tube and the tip top wants to push back off during insertion. I'll spread expoxy on the rod tip and then poke some into the tube with a toothpick. Should I just put epoxy on the blank's tip only? My thinking is when I put epoxy inside the tube I'm sealing off air inside the tube and that's why it wants to push back out. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxing tip top problem
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 27, 2008 09:12AM

Normally air can escape out the small hole in tiptop tube end. Putting epoxy in there might seal that off, but I'd still put epoxy in the tube. Otherwise you may just be pushing the adhesive down the rod tip and not end up with much, if any, on the actual mating surfaces.

Try this - as you slide the tiptop onto the rod tip, seat it fully, then withdraw it partly, then reseat it. Normally this helps to expel any air that has been trapped inside. In fact, if you do this enough times, it actually creates a vacuum and you can sometimes feel the tiptop being sucked back onto the rod blank tip when you try to withdraw it again.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: August 27, 2008 10:15AM

I take a popsickle stick and force load the tip top tube with epoxy, then add a swipe to the rods tip, Install the tip top and epoxy will come out the hole Tom speaks of right below the ring of the tip top. They STAY put.

DR

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 27, 2008 10:46AM

Every once in a while I do end up with a top that has that hole missing or closed from the coating.

Solution is your dremel tool with an ultra tiny bit >> 1/256 or less depending on the top size. All you need is a tiny hole to allow that air to escape. Its a nearly invisible hole as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2008 10:46AM by Sean Cheaney.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 27, 2008 10:49AM

DUH!!!! Thanks, Sean!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 27, 2008 11:09AM

You have no idea how long it took me to figure that out even though the thing was staring me in the face. I love those times when you just think to yourself..."Was I really that dumb?"

Posted by: George Roth (---.bois.qwest.net)
Date: August 27, 2008 11:13AM

Tim...

I personally use 5-minute epoxy instead of thermal glue, which allows me a bit more time to work with the top. I load the tube then place it on the blank, then twist it a couple of times, distributing glue all around the blank tip. I then reload the tube with epoxy and reapply. As mentioned above, the glue will usually squirt out the end of the tip top. If it doesn't, it will squeeze out the front of the tube as you displace the excess glue / air. Align the tip and wait for 5-10" and you'll be set. To remove glue that forms in the braces of the top, heat it slightly with a lighter and it can be easily removed with a needle.

Hope that helps.......George

Posted by: Ash Carlton (---.fairchildproducts.com)
Date: August 27, 2008 12:31PM

I started cutting slivers of tip-top adhesive and slide one or two into the tip-top and then heat it and slide it on. I think that way I get the tube full of glue.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 27, 2008 12:35PM

Hot melt glue is pretty good provided you do get it up inside the tiptop tube. That's hard to do unless you do as Ash advises, because it's thick and most often just gets pushed down the rod tip without any getting inside the tiptop tube.

One other thing I'd advise if you use hot melt, is to make a short trim wrap up against the tiptop tube and then make sure to extend your epoxy finish from the trim wrap up onto the tiptop tube surface for a distance of about 1/8th to 3/16th inch. This helps to "lock" it in place.

Posted by: Richard Forhan (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 27, 2008 07:50PM

Do yourself a favor - get the flex coat video - follow their tip top advice - your tip top glue problems will be solved. Smart way to use their tip top glue sticks.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.airband.net)
Date: August 28, 2008 12:12AM

We use TM's 15min glue for tip-tops. We let it dry and cure for 24hrs.

We straighten a paper clip and apply glue inside the tube, and a small nit to the rod tip. If we get a pushback we put the paper clip into the tube and pull it out, wipe it off, and try the tip again till it stays in place. Sometimes the pushback happens even with the little hole open.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster