I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Be Prepared...
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 22, 2008 02:52PM

I was speaking with one of the sponsors (Bob at Custom Tackle Supply) this morning and he mentioned that rod builders who sell rods to the public need to be ready for personal inquiries from fishermen who spot and then come over to ask about the new International Custom Rod Building Symbol.

It’s going to happen - fishermen will recognize the rod tiptops and wonder what the darn thing represents. Many may approach you and ask about it - what it is and what it means. This presents you with an opportunity to not only explain the symbol, but to present them with one of your business cards.

While this isn’t the intent of the symbol and decal, it is going to have that nice side effect of drawing fishermen to you. They might never bother to approach the driver of a car or truck with a custom rod building advertisement on it - they may not be very interested in custom rods (so far) nor not currently need repair. But they will be drawn in the simple, bold symbol just because they want to know what the heck it is. Don’t be caught empty handed - this situation is most likely going to present itself very shortly and you should be prepared to make the most of it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Be Prepared...
Posted by: Steve Bro (---.automatededm.com)
Date: August 22, 2008 03:15PM

I noticed that Mud Hole has it on the top of their web pages.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 22, 2008 03:26PM

[www.swamplandtackle.com]

And if you want to have a full dose for dinner or Go All In On TV!

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2008 04:05PM by Bill Stevens.

Date: August 22, 2008 03:31PM

Most dealers will soon have it on their websites somewhere. Many will also provide you with one at no charge when you place an order.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 22, 2008 05:07PM

I put my sticker on my drying box, along wiht 26 Olde English beer labels and a bunch of fish pictures. I've had 4 people (3 fishermen, and 1 builder) come into my shop this week, asking what the heck it was. Tehy also asked if I had a beer in the fridge, lol.

Tom, I'm about to get NERB tee shirts made up, and would consider putting the symbol on the sleeve - I'm just not sure if I have to get any approval or anythign of the sort because I will be selling the shirts.

Date: August 22, 2008 05:52PM

Billy,

You're the second person/company to ask about using the symbol on shirts, hats, etc. On the one hand, I hate seeing it used for pure financial profit (not you necessarily) but on the other hand, it would be nice to have it on shirts, hats, etc.

Most likely what I'll do, is consider some sort of nominal licensing fee and set it up so that the fees will go to the RodMaker Public Library Program or something like that. I'll in touch with my copyright attorney next week and will hash it out with him and get his opinion on how to do this.

I suspect this sort of use will be approved, I just need to carefully consider the best way to do it for all concerned.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: August 22, 2008 06:23PM

I took Tom's symbol, shrunk it, and made it Avatar size for use on other sites as a "personal avatar". Great way to avertize that your a builder without doing so. I've noticed since I created that avatar and put it to use, other builders on other sites have adopted it as well for their avatar. I think it's a "good thing" all the way around for everyone that builds.

DR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2008 06:33PM by Duane Richards (DR).

Date: August 22, 2008 06:48PM

So do I - that's the sort of use I envisioned for it.

Eventually it'll be all over the place and will wind up on shirts and hats and all that. But I want to make sure there are some guidelines as to how it's used. Just like the publishing company that owns the copyrights to the bible, I don't want to restrict its use, but do want to make sure it's used as it was intended.

Posted by: Eddie Hinote (---.dhcp.leds.al.charter.com)
Date: August 22, 2008 07:07PM

When will the car tags be available? Later, E...

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 22, 2008 07:08PM

Tom, I don't know if you have ever seen it or not, but you could create some pretty simple shirts on Cafe Press. you basically create your designs and when someone orders one they print it and ship it, take their cut and send you the rest.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: Mark Fisher (---.sa.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 22, 2008 07:22PM

Sorry to sound ignorant, but what's this all about. I haven't seen the symbol and don't know anything about it? Can anyone please enlighten me?

Mark
Outback Rods

Posted by: Brad Young (---.sub-75-202-244.myvzw.com)
Date: August 22, 2008 07:34PM

Go to swamplands web page. They have it posted on their main page.

Date: August 22, 2008 07:37PM

I don't really want to get into the shirt business - they don't sell in great numbers and take up too much of my time. I'll let others do it once I figure out a fair and equitable way to carry that out. But I do appreciate the tip.

Mark,

Read up on it here:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

If you subscribe to RodMaker through Ian Miller, you'll be getting a free decal with the symbol very soon. If not, send me an SASE with enough international postage to get it back to you, and make sure it is 5x7. I'll be happy to send you one at no charge.

Date: August 22, 2008 07:38PM

Eddie,

The tags weren't really something I wanted to do, but they sort of came with the large decal package. So I went ahead just for those that wanted something extra - they contain more than the symbol. Should be ready in 2 to 3 weeks. I'll also flip in an extra free decal with the tag.

Date: August 22, 2008 07:51PM

This will explain it somewhat better:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.36.154.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: August 22, 2008 10:28PM

Mine is on my car, and I'm already planning on having the folks at Decal Connection make a bunch more in various sizes that I can stick on all kinds of stuff, even on butt caps. Thank you, Tom. I think it is not only a great idea, but it looks very cool and classy. I spend a lot of time looking for this symbol now to find folks to talk shop with. I didn't know it was coming so it was quite a surprise.

I saw a truck last week on the road with the antenna wrapped with guides and a miniature metal model spinning reel. First thing through my head was "that HAS to be a builder". If any of you with something like this was in the Ballwin, MO area then, give me a yell. Also, I've been slowly working on my own car antenna and if anybody knows where I can get a small reel model, I'd sure appreciate it!

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 22, 2008 11:32PM

A tackle shop around here has small key chain reels. Might work. I have on I built on my Jeep . I will post a pic next week (left the jeep at work for the weekend).

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Darrell Diskey (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 23, 2008 12:22AM

Tom, I've put the logo on both my truck and boat, which I hope garners some attention at the tournament this weekend. However, I have someone working on getting it on my business cards. Is this okay or a problem? I can stop it before it goes to press if i need to.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 23, 2008 01:24AM

Darrel,

See this

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Date: August 23, 2008 08:53AM

Go ahead on put it on your business cards. No problem. I'll even provide the artwork for you.

As far as making decals for sale, have the maker contact me. I am working on how I'm going to handle the copyright. But we should be able to clear that in a couple weeks or so.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster