I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tiger color suggestions
Posted by: Obed Patty (164.144.248.---)
Date: August 19, 2008 05:40PM

I am looking for suggestions for thread color combinations that make nice looking tiger wraps. I searched the photos page and was unable to obtain the information that I needed. Awesome wraps and colors, but often lacking thread detail. Ones with thread detail were not quite what i was looking for. I am working on two different rods and adding wraps to the split sections. I am practicing on commercial rods that I own. One is a Lamiglas -dark maroon or red (Competitor/CFC) with deep red wraps and silver accents. The second is a Falcon Original rod that is brown with dark brown wraps and gold accents. I have tried all of the combinations of threads that I have and was looking for suggestions so that I could purchase and experiment more. I could blindly order thread based on a picture in a catalog, but feel much much more comfortable going with combinations that rod builders here have used and liked.
For each of the rods, I was looking to compliment the dominant color schemes. ie. Deep red/maroon, and brown/dk brown.
Thank you for the help

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tiger color suggestions
Posted by: Joey Yeager (---.twinvalley.oct.net)
Date: August 19, 2008 06:04PM

Obed, I am fairly new to the tiger wraps also, so I did a lot of experimenting. My favorite is the black and metallic silver under wrap, two to three coats of Threadmaster, and finally the color you want to be seen. Black and white, black and yellow are also good. If you are wanting the color to compliment or contrast the rod, use that as your top color, as that is what will be seen. Take a scrap piece of rod or dowel, put the base threads down, burnish them in different directions, and add the top color with the sacrificial thread. This will give you an idea of what your tiger wrap or moire wrap will look like, with out having to do the finish. Keep in mind though, that the finish in between the threads is what gives the depth and 3D look.

Gone Fishin

Posted by: Obed Patty (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: August 19, 2008 10:19PM

Joey,
Thank you for the reply. I have done a few tiger wraps using the the basics as you descibed. I got an interesting pattern and color using black metallic with neon chartruese two coats TM and metallic green over. I was going for a green with an aqua tint and it came pretty close. My above request was specifically to match the overall moire wrap color pallette, if you will, to blanks of those colors. I have experiemnted with all of my threads, which is not that many, and simply wanted suggestions to try based on others' experience.
I am thinking about the black white under with Gudebrod red over and no CP. I am hoping it will darken close to the Lamiglas colors. On my cheapo practice rod, it looks close. Is there much of a difference in density or pattern based on rod diameter? Itseems to have a muted effect on smaller diameter blanks, at least to my eye. Thanks again.

Posted by: Scott Kelly (---.west.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 19, 2008 11:43PM

For the red, I would just go with whatever red thread you used on the wraps with silver metallic on the base. Then the red again on top. For the base silver Gudebrods "Electra" silver thread will give a touch more color.

For the brown, I wrapped a SCV blank with brown metallic and gold metallic as a base. And Gudebrod 541 on top.

Both will be subtle but not too subtle to go unnoticed.

Posted by: Bert Nagy (---.atl.fdn.com)
Date: August 20, 2008 10:05AM

I have done several Tigers - I am by no means an expert

The best (to me) colors for me has been Royal Blue and White underwrap, with Royal blue top wrap.

I tried a red and black (University of GA) wrap using a White and Black underwrap with a scarlet overwrap- It was too dark for my tastes.

One thing I tried that did not work as well as I would have liked was using metallic silver as a contrast for an underwrap.The silver overwhelms the other color, and you don't get as much of the holographic effect.

I hope this helps.

Regards
Bert Nagy

Posted by: Obed Patty (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: August 29, 2008 02:14PM

Scott, Bert and Joey,
Thank you for the responses. I am going to post the picture of my latest tiger.
I simply cannot take very good photos, but I think you can see that this turned out well.
Thanks again

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster