I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help! Old Swivel Roller Tops, For Meat Lines
Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 19, 2008 01:17AM

Hello All!

Been away for a bit, but I recently had a request for the following:

Here in the Puget Sound area, we sometimes troll for salmon with "meat lines". They are a short, stiff rod, that uses stainless braid for trolling lures. (I think there was a post about a similar rod, used in the great lakes, recently).

The tip top of the rod is a roller guide top. But it is a guide that also swivels left and right.

I have not been able to find any of these for sale anywhere, and was wondering if anyone has any they would like to sell? Or if anyone knows of a company that may carry them?

Here is a link to a picture of two types of these tops.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Chris

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help! Old Swivel Roller Tops, For Meat Lines
Posted by: Robert Tignor (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: August 19, 2008 06:48AM

Swivel Tops

Black Chrome.
Double plated to resist corrosion.
Perfect for heavy duty saltwater trolling rods. The ones we have only come in black

Robert

Posted by: Tony Childs (---.mi.dial.123.net)
Date: August 19, 2008 10:10AM

Chris,
I have been working most of the summer on a wire rod program. There are really no great solutions that work 100% effective. That wire is very squirly stuff. Aftco also makes a swivel roller with a SIC guide ring on the outbound side, but it is very pricey. I haven't had any issues with the wire on the outbound side myself, since my rods are all spirals. I have had a couple of rods requested with Pac Bay rollers, had to use a Twilly tip on those to accommodate the guides being on top of the blank. As I have stated before, I hate the Twilly tip, but can't argue its effectivness. My customers issues usually stem from the inbound side of the roller tips. With no tension, the wire gets very crazy and wraps the tip up if the angler is not very cautious. Wire gets curly after repeated use, no way around that. I am messing around with wrapping a 6mm sic casting guide right at the entrance to the roller so see if it helps calm down the wire while the line is slack. As much as I hate to say it, the problem is almost non existent with the Twilly tip-man that hurt.

Date: August 19, 2008 02:42PM

Thanks for posting, guys.

Tony, any idea how heavy of wire the twilly tops can handle?

Chris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2008 03:57PM by Chris Herrera.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 19, 2008 04:29PM

Chris, I have some of those guides in the picture on the left. But not many.What tube size do you need?
Dennis J. Danku(Sayreville,NJ)

Date: August 19, 2008 05:38PM

Dennis, email sent.

Chris

Date: August 19, 2008 06:28PM

Most of th guys here are running 30# .012 dia. stainless. You would be able to go much heavier than that as the opening in the entry end is almost .125, then opens to almost .5 . I checked-my 150# downrigger cable slides thru no problem, so they will take pretty heavy stuff.

Date: August 19, 2008 07:08PM

Thanks Tony.

Also, do you guys run just divers and lures off of these? We run a 5 lb weight, and a silver horde plug behind them. 'Course the rods we use are pretty stiff, too.

Chris

Date: August 19, 2008 10:21PM

Yes, .012 stainless main line, Mag Dipsy Diver, 6' - 50# leader, then plug, spoon, fly rig, or meat rig with teaser. Water fleas don't stick to the wire, gets serious depth even compared to braids, and has the same harmonics as the rigger cables. Only con is the no stretch thing, and a propensity to eat inferior guide materials for lunch. The wire also works well fishing the combat harbor patrol program when the fish are inside the pier heads, along with 100 boats-kind of reminds you of the Muslim Hodge pilgrimage; everone going around in circles screaming and hollering obscenities at one another. You only need to have 30-50 feet of line out, and can stop a fish in it's tracks if need be.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster