I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank for Rattle Traps
Posted by: Richard Milliser (---.ks.ok.cox.net)
Date: August 14, 2008 11:32AM

What is your favorite blank for tossing 1/2 and 3/4 Oz. Rattle Traps.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank for Rattle Traps
Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.fsepg.com)
Date: August 14, 2008 11:45AM

I use the same as I do for my big crankbaits. I like the St Croix 3C70MHM or 4S70MHM.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 14, 2008 12:47PM

For trolling, anything with a light tip so I can see the vibrations from the lure. If they're upset, either a fish or the bottom has been contacted.

For casting, any regular fast action rod that will handle the casting weight. Take your pick.

Posted by: John Sams (---.listmail.net)
Date: August 14, 2008 12:50PM

For short range, any MB783 type bass blank. For longer casting, any MB843 type bass blank. I find popping blanks too light for these lures. Mag Bass blanks seem better.

Posted by: Bill Colby (---.charlotte-16rh16rt.nc.dial-access.att.net)
Date: August 14, 2008 01:06PM

I will second the St. Croix 4C70MF. I'm sure there are others that will work great but I have used this one in the SCIV and find it to be really special. The SCIII in this same model would be almost as good and would be less expensive and a bit tougher. But I have not had any trouble with my SCIV and like the "purty" blue color and the very light weight it offers.

Posted by: Eddie Taylor (98.105.97.---)
Date: August 14, 2008 01:48PM

I will throw out another option.

I love the Lamiglas CCB845MF. Great blank. Strong backbone and soft/fast tip.

Eddie

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 14, 2008 01:58PM

Castaway XP3 Bass Blanks Task Specific

MB844 7' MH 1/4 - 5/8 oz Moderate Action 2.4 oz

Spiral this one and throw a long long way!

903 7'6" 3/8 - 3/4 Oz MH Mod Fst 2.2 OZ

The 903 handled a 11# 11 OZ personal best on a crank at Falcon last week in the hands of Jim Behnke of San Antonio.

[www.swamplandtackle.com]

Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.)
Date: August 14, 2008 02:51PM

Pac Bay Tradition II T2MBC844 or 845. The 845 for the really big fast wiggle baits and the 844 for anything under an ounce. These are NICE blanks.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 14, 2008 03:09PM

Richard this is a little scary but to show the durability of the Castaway XP3 cranking and spinner bait blanks take a look at this picture.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Scott is the production manager at the Castaway plant in Montgomery, Texas. He is about a mile from the boat launch and loves to field test stuff on "nooner time". He caught this monster on a Rattle Trap rigged on a light power spinner bait blank about two weeks ago. All of the blanks listed on the [www.swamplandtackle.com] site are designed with lengths, taper, power and actions to match specific bass fishing techniques. If you have any questions please visit the site for explanations of each.

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.coi.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 14, 2008 04:42PM

I will toss this out. On crankbait blanks we are often told to not use rods with stiff tips, or to use glass or glass tipped rods. I'll buy that. But on the fast vibrating lures like Rattletraps I find that a stiffer tip and graphite construction are a plus. It helps to feel the more fast and subtle vibrations of these lures and usually when a fish strikes one they hit it hard and end up hooking themselves. My .02. The choice of actual blank is up to you. I think these builders above gave some good suggestions.

Posted by: justin keithley (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: August 14, 2008 04:45PM

i use an s-glass... seeker i believe. its basicaly a 7' MH. Soft tip mod action. rips through weeds and keeps fish pinned. I like to through red-eye shad on 30lb power pro and this makes a nice setup.

Regards,
-Justin

Posted by: Ed Sabatini (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 14, 2008 11:45PM

Loomis MB843 IF you can find one! You'll love it!

Posted by: Vern Metcalf Jr (---.mn.warpdriveonline.com)
Date: August 15, 2008 08:41AM

St. Croix SCIII, 7' Med Fast.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: August 15, 2008 10:46AM

I use a crankbait rod in more open water and my carolina rig rod in grass and timber.

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: August 15, 2008 05:25PM

I throw a lot of traps--it's one of my best go-to baits all year long. I throw mine on a 3C70MHM. It has enough power to stick them, and enough bend to keep them stuck.

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: August 15, 2008 05:46PM

My suggestion is to try as many different rods as you can and figure out which works best for you. I would encourage you to use one of the crankbait blanks or popping blanks with a very soft tip to keep those big fish from throwing your bait. I loose allot fewer fish v. throwing a traditional medium or medium heavy graphite blank.

My fishing partner, who is also a full time guide has probably boated more 10#+ fish on Rattle Traps the past 4 or 5 years than anyone else in the country, at least that's what the guys at Bill Norman tell him and he uses a 7'6" Loomis medium crankbait rod. He uses a slow speed Chronarch with 15-20 lb fluorocarbon. He fishes a trap heavily from October through May in 4-12 feet of water over grass.

His only complaint with the Loomis and most other factory crankbait rods is the handle length. It's too short. My buddy is Loomis sponsored so I asked him to get me 4 or 5 of the 7'6" crankbait blanks which aren't typically available to the public and I'll build him some spiral wrapped split grips to test. He goes through about 10 crankbait rods every few years and if he approves, I know it's a pretty good rod.

Posted by: Joseph Bailleaux (---.gt.res.rr.com)
Date: August 16, 2008 01:49PM

As nice as graphite is , I can't get away from glass. Lamiglass light weight glass rod blanks are what I like for crank baits.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster