I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Color recommendations for St Croix SC III?
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.chi01.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 14, 2008 09:32AM

I am building a 6" 6" St Croix SC III-it is a sort of satin gray color. Any recommendations for sharp color combinations? I like to keep my windings sort of simple, usually using a single color with a little metallic accent, but am open to your thoughts.

thanks, Mick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Color recommendations for St Croix SC III?
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: August 14, 2008 10:10AM

Garnet wraps, silver trim.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an1.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: August 14, 2008 11:21AM

Try any of the reds with out CP and gold trim

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.chi01.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 14, 2008 12:04PM

How will the reds w/o CP look? And I'm surprised to hear gold with the gray blank. Would have thought I would hear silver. please elaborate.

I do a lot of rods w/o CP, but usually use colors that are about like the blank so that they tend to disappear on the blank.

thanks, Mick

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dca.untd.com)
Date: August 14, 2008 12:16PM

I like reds , just personal preference. The gold maybe one or two single turns I think gives all rods a look of class.
If you don,t have the handle on yet, try several colors on the butt section with and without cp. See what YOU like. Or get a scrap piece of blank and do it on that. Keep it after done for future reference.
Take a look at the photo section of guide wraps and get some ideas. A picture is worth a thousand words.

Posted by: Timothy Johnson (---.177.58.236.adsl.snet.net)
Date: August 14, 2008 01:18PM

On the matte type blanks, I've used Dark blue and Silver metallic, Dark blue and Gold, Black and Silver, and Dark Brown and Gold. Tonight if I get moving quick enough, I hope to do a Dark Green and Gold trim!

Posted by: justin keithley (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: August 14, 2008 04:46PM

i used black wraps with metallic Green and metallic silver trim bands on an scIII and thought it looked nice.

Regards,
-Justin

Posted by: Chris Beverley (218.185.73.---)
Date: August 14, 2008 05:08PM

Black wrap, gold and silver trims.. keep trims really fin ie: 2 x silver, 1 x black then 3 x gold then into the main wrap in black. Very sharp looking!

Posted by: Scott Kelly (---.west.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 14, 2008 08:04PM

Cobalt blue with copper trim bands.

Candy red with "Electra" silver trim bands

Posted by: Mark Pearson (---.apacn.com)
Date: August 15, 2008 01:36PM

I just finished a 6'6" 2 pc. UL SCIII blank and used black, white, and gold.

Posted by: Dennis Scott (---.dhcp.rdng.ca.charter.com)
Date: August 15, 2008 09:13PM

Garnet with metallic rose trim.... no CP. The Garnet will turn dark bing cherry color. Look great.

Dennis Scott

Dennis Scott
dmsc0tt@charter.net

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: August 16, 2008 09:05AM

Any dk. reds, dk. blues, or dk. greens without CP. (Now, if you're not using CP, even a medium toned color will turn dark on the blank.) It's really hard to go wrong on the gray blanks--they go well with just about everything.

Posted by: Steve Wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 18, 2008 12:16PM

Black metalic (guidbrod) with lt pink metalic trim (sulky) looks good on a rod I made for my daughter (pink camo grips). Also black or grey either CP or non CP with a pink NCP and/or lime green NCP trim. Garnet and gold looks good as do any of the classic twist colors

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster