I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: How to tell a customer they were "duped"
Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: August 15, 2008 11:19AM

This is a lot simpler than it sounds.

First, just tell him you can't match the components. Then tell him to take it back to the guy who built it.

That's it.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2008 11:20AM by Russ Pollack.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: August 15, 2008 01:44PM

Rule of thumb in business. Never say any derogatory about your competitor. Just show your client what you can provide 0r do for them. What has been created here is a 3 way fight that you do nor want to be in. How do you know your cop friend was not totally telling you the whole truth. Did you see his sales recite explaining what blank was used an what components were used. We are not talking about the price he paid for his rod now. Price does not inter in to this equation. What we are talking about is did the customer get the parts he was quoted. Each one of us that has made a post here, work off a different price range. A lot of pricing has to do with location and experience. Having a builder with years of experience well charge more than a builder that is new to building rods. Experience is costly. Remember an experienced builder has experienced every down fall in rod building and learned how to over come them without making a post for help or doing other research on how to correct their problem.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 15, 2008 04:48PM

I realize that I'm in the minority, but I feel that saying nothing just compounds the "fraud" The fact that the original builder called him and laughed about milking the guy and threatened him tells me that the guy was indeed screwed! By standing by and not pointing out that he does NOT have what he thinks he has, is pretty much like standing by while someone steals a co-workers monety from his desk!! What happened to people looking out for each other?? Putting your head in the sand is a cheap cop out. The guy asked him to replace his titanium SIC guide and use the "special" thread. IMO, to not point out what he actually has is just as bad and cowardly. That can be done without blasting or even mentioning the original builder. Whether or not he should have known is not the point. I'b bet that if a vendor was selling you some offshore made blanks as SCV's and you found out That I knew about it and never said anything, I would certainly be off your friends list and it wouldn't make any difference if I jusst said that you should have known the difference!!! If you've never seen one, how would you know?? I've never actually seen a cold cermet guide so if I bought one, I would be taking someone word for it!

It's called common decency in my book!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2008 06:01PM by Mike Barkley.

Date: August 15, 2008 05:57PM

Mike I agree with what you said. Like I posted and never received a comment on it. Did that customer have a recite stating on it what he received. The type of blank, the type of guides, the thread used. Plus manufactures info.. In my shop I always had on display blanks, guides, reelseats an thread with the manufactures name an model on them so a customer could see what he was getting. Also on my recites, I listed the manufactured parts and model numbers. Price is not an issue here. What is at issue did the customer get what he ordered. Just a recite stating I received a custom rod does not fly in my book. When you order from a supplier do you not receive a itemized list of parts. I do not know about this customer, who is suppose to be a Officer of the law, but the ones I deal with are muticus about recites. They want every (i) dotted and (t) crossed. Just my 2 cents on a long discussion that has no end
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: David Page (---.81.19.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: August 15, 2008 06:58PM

Ok I just went back and read what I typed and realized I mixed some names up, sorry not much sleep. Just clarifying, Danny is the brother of the guy that had the rod built and is a cop. I guess I probably should have left the names out anyway, again not much sleep. I'm pretty new at all this and this was my first experience with the undesirable sort so I thought I would talk about it. I handled this the way that I thought was "right" rather than what was "business like" because I know the guy well. He's a trully good guy that would do the same for me if the roles were reversed, he just has a lot more money than he has sense. No I didn't say anything derogatory about a competitor and when I was asked if "I got screwed" I made it clear that I had no idea what the guy that built the rod was thinking, and I neither could or would speculate on it. As far as a receipt goes, I didn't feel like it was any of my business to ask. All I was trying to do was make the guy a more informed customer so this wouldn't happen to him again in the future.

David Page
E-town, KY.

Date: August 15, 2008 07:10PM

David you said the guy made thes comments about what his rod, guides and thread were made of. Not seeing a recite how do know what is true. If he was told this he may have miss understood. Seeing it in writeing. Makes things much clearer and if there is a missunderstanding things can be straightened out. Remember a recite for goods provided is like a binding contract.
Good Wraps Bob

Date: August 15, 2008 07:40PM

David, Personally, I think that you did the right thing Regardless of what transpired between the builder and him, you didn't bash the builder or put yourself in the middle of them BUT you did inform him of what he actually had and let him draw his own conclusions. You provided him with the truth and that was the right thing to do and what I would certainly expect from a friend!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: August 15, 2008 07:47PM

Like Mike said inform your customor. An stay out of the cat fight. I would almost bet. This guy well come to you in the future.
There is nothing wrong about stateing the truth.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: john channer (---.228.180.177.Dial1.Denver1.Level3.net)
Date: August 15, 2008 11:23PM

Sounds like you handled a bad situation the best you could under the circumstances. This other builder should go to work for a production company, he would fit in better there than as a custom builder.
john

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2008 11:38PM by john channer.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: August 15, 2008 11:48PM

A comments I've seen on here a couple times bothers me a little.

"...the customs go back to the builder." (not picking on you John... just the easiest to copy.. sorry)

What's the difference in repairing a custom build and repairing a factory build? I know I've seen quite a few posts where guys talked about poor quality, etc of another builder because they were working on those rods. A rod is a rod.

You control what comes out of your mouth in regards to another builder. What's the difference in blasting a custom builder and blasting a factory rod company? I say you don't blast either, you state only provable facts, you conduct yourself professionally and respectfully and you're fine.

Posted by: john channer (---.228.180.177.Dial1.Denver1.Level3.net)
Date: August 16, 2008 12:00AM

Alex;
You caught my post before I had second thoughts, so I'll stand by what I said first. I build bamboo and only work on bamboo rods and I would never, ever work on a rod made by another man who was still alive, nor would I comment on his work. I do feel a bit sorry for the friend who got ripped, but the other side of the coin is the guy should have done his homework before spending that kind of money on a fishing pole. In this day of the internet, the sum total of the world's knowledge is pretty much at your finger tips, all you have to do is search and you'll find out everything about anything. As for working on production rods, I can't imagine they want to be bothered with repair work, it's a PIA and not what they do anyway, I think you would just be saving them aggravation over something they don't make any money on.
john

Posted by: Herb Knowlton (---.dhcp.trcy.mi.charter.com)
Date: August 16, 2008 09:41AM

A fishing "pole"? The word just caught my eye----not trying to start another topic.

Date: August 16, 2008 10:02PM

Edison makes "Poles", I make and use "Rods" LOL!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Date: August 16, 2008 10:17PM

Just ask Gary Loomis about his fishing poles. He well give you a hour about wire climbers. They climb poles. :)) He buikds rods
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: john channer (---.228.186.76.Dial1.Denver1.Level3.net)
Date: August 16, 2008 10:40PM

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone, but from the description it was a fishin pole even tho he paid a fishing rod price for it.
john

Date: August 16, 2008 11:12PM

John I wonder what kind of club he got LOL
Good Wraps Bob

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster