I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fugi concept ?
Posted by: John Martines (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 13, 2008 04:01PM

In Toms book he says when using the Fugi guide concept that from the choke guide to tip use the same size guide. Question is, Will it hurt to change down one size? On one surf rod I'm building I'm going from 12 size choke,12,12,to 10, 10 ,10, tip 10. I have test casted yesterday and all seems fine. I figured he had a reason for saying so in the book . Should I just switch the 12's out for 10s??

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fugi concept ?
Posted by: James Reed (---.org)
Date: August 13, 2008 04:42PM

From what I gather from reading about the concept system, once your past the choke point use the smallest guides possible to lessen the weight of the rod. Basically saying size 12's would be overkill but they will still work fine.

So unless you have a reason for having 12's use the 10's to save weight. If the 12's work good for you and you don't mind the negligible amount of added weight then keep the 12's.

Just fyi: for surf fishing I like to have at least size 12's to the tip unless its for throwing plugs or using braid. The reason I like this is because of the large shock knot that has to pass through the guides when casting. obviously when using plugs you shouldn't have a shock knot or when using braid the knot is much smaller. If you or the person you are building the rod for fishes around a place where sea grass/weed is a problem you might want to consider using size 16 running guides, esp if its a dead sticking weight and bait.

Please let other chime in on the concept system because I am new to rod building, so I might be a bit off course but I think I got the general idea down.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 13, 2008 04:59PM

Switch out the 12's for 10's. There is no reason to use so many different sizes. It won't likely hurt anything, but you don't gain anything either and the 10's will be ever so slightly lighter.

You do want your line and any connections to easily pass through your guides. If the 10's won't do it (it seems they already have) then try 12's or 16's. Otherwise, stay with the 10's.

The choker guide and the running guides should be all the same size.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 13, 2008 05:01PM

I would go with the smallest size needed to pass knots (all the same size) , like James said. I don't build surf rods but that's what I do on all of the rods that I build. BTW, the Fuji system is quite different than the "New Guide Concept System" outlined in the library and Rodmaker magazine

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.phlapafg.covad.net)
Date: August 14, 2008 09:44AM

This isn't really the question you asked, but I'll add this: a couple of months ago I realized that I've been using, for surf rods, running guides that are unecessarily too large. This is for bait and plugging rods. If you don't need to pass knots (like shock leader knots), and you're using braid (50 lb. test or less), you can probably get away with size 6 or even size 5 running guides. I've found in tests that 30 lb. braid will easily pass through guides even smaller than these, but I've stayed away from the micro guides, because any debris on your line, like seaweed, can give you a real headache if you're using tiny guides.

Braid is very, very thin, and you don't need a size 10 or 12 running guides if all that's going to be going through them is the fishing line. If you're using mono, you can likely get away with 8s or even 6s, depending on how heavy a test you're using.

Most surf rods are big and heavy enough that the difference between size 6 and size 10 running guides is not going to be gargantuan. But despite this, I've been pleasantly surprised that even surf rods fish noticeably better the less weight you put on them, especially in top-most two feet or so of the blank. So don't go any bigger than you have to.

Posted by: John Martines (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 14, 2008 04:39PM

Ok! Thanks guys! I'll change out the 12s for all 10s. This rod is for plugging and I really don't use a large leader(5ft on this rod) that passes through the guides although I like to have the option which is why I use larger guides. Most of my bait rods have 16's or 12s due to the long leader which I use on my soaking rods.
Chris I'm with you on the weight thing that's one reason I started building my own. Thanks again.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster