I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ultra lite flyrod components
Posted by: Paul Kolis (---.sctnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 13, 2008 01:59PM

Attempting to build an ultra lite 7'6" 2 piece 4wt (Cabela's SLi)
Would like to get opinions on what reel seat to use.
1) I do not want to use any sliding band or cork and rings
2) uplocking or downlocking is fine
3) blank diameter at butt is .312
4) recoil guides will be used

Thanks for your input,
Tight lines,
Paul

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ultra lite flyrod components
Posted by: Walt Natzke (12.22.21.---)
Date: August 13, 2008 03:17PM

I would think something like the REC AUSL would be a good choice, high quality, extra light weight:

[www.reelseats.com]

alt

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 13, 2008 07:07PM

Any of the nylon/graphite reel seats would be excellent. Tough, durable, long lasting, non-jamming, and very light. Hard to go wrong.

Posted by: Gavin Schar (---.telkom-ipnet.co.za)
Date: August 17, 2008 04:59PM

Paul, I am a ultra light junkie. In the past I deemed sliding bands on my reel seats as being too heavy and I would just use cable-ties on cork reel seats. I woulds just clip the ct's off after each day on the stream. Over time I came to realize that those few ounces really made very little difference in the scheme of things (especially given the hassles associated with it - like getting to the stream and realizing you left the ct's at home) and I eventually moved toward traditional reel seats. I have used both the REC AUSL and Bellinger 660 series and I can vouch that they really suit light weight outfits well. Not to mention they are really pretty. Go with either of those on a 4wt and you wont look back.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.dsl.frs2ca.pacbell.net)
Date: August 18, 2008 03:52AM

i understand you don't want to use any sliding band seat, but if you ever reconsidered, i REALLY like my struble D-27 on my 8' 3wt... i got the rosewood insert and it's a very classy, lightweight, sturdy and attractive (to me) reel seat for my backpacking rod. i like it so much more than my bellinger DLSB660.

eric
fresno, ca.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster