I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

beginner's ques on rod lathes
Posted by: Rocky Ryanto (---.rivrw6.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: August 11, 2008 10:16AM

Gdday guys,

greetings from down under. I'm rocky, n i'm so new to rodbuilding, thus, please pardon me for the really newbie question. Now, i know that i can start wrapping rods using V stands, but i think, in the long term that wont do. Therefore will it be possible for the seniors in this forum to give some guidance as to which rod lathes to buy? Reason being is, there are so many brands and types out there and I'm confused. Really need help.

p.s. if mentioning brands are forbidden, a pm would be most appreciated.

Thanks guys
rocky

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: beginner's ques on rod lathes
Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.fsepg.com)
Date: August 11, 2008 10:24AM

Not trying to make it seem like I don't want to answer your question, but if you do a search on here, I am sure you will find lots of information that has already been discussed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2008 10:25AM by Mike Sledden.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 11, 2008 10:24AM

The 2 top of the line machines would be the Renzetti and Custom Power Wrap. These are complete rod building machines that can do many things once you add all the various accessories.

The more simple, but quite adept machines from Batson Enterprises, American Tackle and Pacific Bay are good middle of the road choices that do a very good job at wrapping and light duty turning. Their relatively low cost makes them tremendous values.

Flex Coat offers a somewhat unique selection of machines that can be upgraded and retro-fitted depending on what you want to do. Many commercial rod companies use these machines.

Finally, there are a ton of smaller, simple yet effective hand wrapping jigs and wrappers that do very well for many. You may want to start with one of these until you have a better idea of exactly what your long term rod building needs are.

Posted by: Richard Kuhne (---.listmail.net)
Date: August 11, 2008 10:45AM

On no!, Tom just called the Batson, Amtak and Pac Bay machines "value machines." How dare he do that!!

Seriously these are good machines and ARE good values. The only thing that holds them back in any way is the lack of commercial accessory parts like those made for the Renzetti and CPW. You can adapt and make many pieces yourself. For somebody starting out one of these would be my choice. There is always resale value in them if you decide to ever move up.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: August 11, 2008 11:21AM

We use a PacBay, and someday we'll be able to afford a Renzetti (about 1,000 rods from now).

You might want to contact Paul Fannon - he's in Tasmania, Aus and can maybe help you more directly. His can be reached at <[email protected]> and is a great guy.time He uses the PAcBay unit.

If you select a PacBay or any of its derivatives, if there's anything we can help with as you go along with this please just contact me by direct email, anytime. Meanwhile do search the forum because there's just a ton of information there.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: David Teague (---.sip.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 11, 2008 12:50PM

I'm with Russ on this...I got a pac bay RW-XL from a friend in exchange for a building him a rod a while back...he already had what he needed for the rod so it only cost me time. the wrapper is really working out the way I want it to...I've done just about everything from turning grips to guide wraps on it with no problems.. and the way it is designed you can take it apart and put it together easily...I use the tubes and rod supports and make a nice hand wrapper to do butt wraps when I'm in a pinch...like Russ I can't afford a renzetti but hope to get one in the future.

Dave

Posted by: Chris Beverley (218.185.73.---)
Date: August 11, 2008 06:35PM

Hi Rocky,

I am a fellow Aussie and yes, rod building equipment is Australia is pretty much non existent.

I have both a Pac Bay and a Renzetti and let me tell you, I would not be without them. I prefer to warp on the Pac Bay and do all turning and shaping on the Renzetti. I have not even assembled the Renzetti Thread Carraige.. I just can't come to terms with the couter clockwise direction fo wrapping.

Anyway, stump up and get yourself a Pac Bay (Rodsmith etc). You will never look back. It will make it so much easier and you will be able to concentrate on the job at hand rather than worrying about the substandard gear.

You will find the international shipping rates reasonable. If you are @#$%& bent on buying locally, try Ross from The Rodworks.

Cheers
Chris

Date: August 11, 2008 06:58PM

The Renzetti can be set up to turn either direction - you can bring the thread onto the rod from behind and above, or from below and in front.

Posted by: Ben Hurlstone (---.perm.iinet.net.au)
Date: August 11, 2008 10:04PM

google ozrods, simon has recently become a major vendor for building supplies in aus and therefore has extremely good customer service.
he has a ton of wrapping machines at the best prices in aus. he's based in townsville and i think you should either give him a call or email as he is really helpful.

Posted by: Chris Beverley (218.185.73.---)
Date: August 12, 2008 12:31AM

How is this done Tom?

Date: August 12, 2008 01:05AM

The RodWorks is in Australia and he's a sponsor here. Give him a shot if you decide to buy one.

Chris,

The main thread feed arm is lowered to the base of the thread carriage - you can even make a short extension if you want to get it further forward. The reverse thread feed arm is reversed and starts up and is pulled downward under tension. I had photos of this in an older RodMaker. Let me see if I can find it and if so I'll put it on the photo page tomorrow.

Posted by: Rocky Ryanto (---.itd.uts.edu.au)
Date: August 12, 2008 11:22PM

Thanks for the inputs guys, really appreciate it. Btw, if i'm intending to get a lathe that can shape grips as well as wrapping threads, what sort of feature will i be looking at? Stronger motor horse power? And can anybody nominate a few make and models excellent for this job.

thank you
rocky

Posted by: Simon Oakley (---.sydney.spin.net.au)
Date: August 13, 2008 04:00AM

If you want to shape grips I would definitely look at the Pacific Bay with the upgrade machined alloy chuck and headstock. They have 2 bearings in the headstock so they don't run out or flex like the lathe/wrppers with the standard composite chuck and headstock and the Pacific Bay Lathe has enough power for shaping grips. You can usually pick the Pacific Bay Lathe/Wrapper with the upgraded chuck and headstock in Australia for under $600 and they are a good machine. I know a lot of rod builders with the Pac Bay Lathe/Wrapper punching out over 400 rods a year without any problems at all and they have been using them for at least a few years.
If you want the best have a look at the Custom Power Wrap it is one powerful Lathe/Wrapper as it has a reduction gearbox and machined metal chuck and headstock as well as a 1/10 HP Daytona motor and is made in the USA. The only problem is it only comes in 110 volts so a good quality 240 to 100 volt step down transformer will cost you around $100 to $150 and the CPW can be had in Australia for around $1150.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2008 04:08AM by Simon Oakley.

Posted by: john petrovsky (---.23.28.72.cpe.echoes.net)
Date: August 16, 2008 08:56AM

Rocky,
If its not to late I recommend the Pac-bay RW-3XL. Its what I use and suits me fine. If you got the bucks and build 10 rods a week go with one of the more expensive models, but just starting out the Pac-Bay will do fine. Oh, we have them at Johnny's Pond at the Guaranteed lowest price. Yah, I had to make a pitch.

Johnny's Pond
John Petrovsky, Owner
John @johnnyspond
1-888-NO-SNAGS
1-888-66-76247

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster