I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly reel selection
Posted by: Eddie Taylor (98.105.189.---)
Date: August 08, 2008 02:55PM

Know that this doesn't pertain exactly to rod building, but kinda (I hope)….

I have been asked to build a 7 wt fly rod for saltwater - mainly for drum on back-bays/sounds here in North Carolina. I have now been asked to go get a good saltwater reel - an area that I am not that familiar with.

After researching saltwater fly reels, I have landed on what I think are two good options:
Galvan Torque Large Arbor Fly Reel (~$350)
Ross Evolution fly Reel (~$350)

As an alternative, the G Loomis Current(~$270) looks good as well, but the two above seem to be getting a lot of favorable press from a lot of people. Especially the Galvan Reel. Hadn't heard of them before I started this but everyone seems to love the Galvan's that use one (or more).

Anyway, just curious what others know about these reels, or have other recommendations. I am building the fly rod on a St. Croix SCV Graphite Saltwater 7 wt blank.

Thanks,
Eddie

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly reel selection
Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: August 08, 2008 03:03PM

EDDIE..

Just my .02. I have sold hundreds of Ross reels back when the Ross reels were made well, and has no problems what-so-ever. However, over the last 8 or so years, the reliability of Ross reels has dropped like a sack of hammers.

I have friends that own large fly shops that sell both reels, and the more reliable reel BY FAR betwen the two...is the Galvan; every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Ross has become like the old STH fly reels that we used to call the "boomer-rang reel". "Sell the reel and it comes right back to ya!"

Ross has MUCH catching up to do.

Good luck...
Paul

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 08, 2008 03:08PM

Go buy a Pflueger Trion and don't look back. $100 and it will perform with many reels costing 2 or 3 times as much.

The Pflueger President is the same reel in a wider spool model if you desire more backing for the same diameter.

At the price these sell for, instead of buying a reel and an extra spool, just buy 2, or 3, reels. You'd be hard pressed to wear one out, but sometimes switching an entire reel is easier and quicker than swapping spools.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2008 03:09PM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Ed Sinn (mrsinbad) (192.193.220.---)
Date: August 08, 2008 03:58PM

You might look into Waterworks-Lamson Reels where the cheapest reel has the same drag system as their most expensive reel. Guaranteed to have a reel in your price range.

Also, another one you can look into is the Nautilus reel with their CCF (Carbon/Cork Fiber) drag system that is hermetically sealed with almost no user maintenance to perform. This is one of those reels that you rarely see being sold used, because it's that good.

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 08, 2008 05:01PM

The two reels I would buy right now are the Lamson Litespeed on the higher end and the Orvis Battenkill Mid Arbor on the lower end. I'm sure you will get a lot of opinions as to the best reels, so you will just have to wade through them.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: August 08, 2008 05:43PM

I own some of the higher end reels, mostly Sage and Lamson Litespeeds, and if I had to do it again I would have done exactly as Tom suggested. I really enjoy my reels, but I'd enjoy the money in my pocket a lot more going with the Pfleugers. Sponsors like Angler's Workshop has a hard time keeping them on the shelf.

Posted by: Pete Sansone (---.sip.bct.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 08, 2008 08:34PM

Hi Eddie,
In the past couple years I've bought several Okuma Helios fly reels which is there top of the line reel. I am very pleased with their performance in both salt and sweet water and think its the best buy for the money. They range from $130.00 ~ $200.00 but can be found cheaper if you look around. In my opinion they compare with almost all the $300.00 ~ $500.00 fly reels on the market. Check them out!
Your freind in S.E. Fla.

Snooker Pete

Posted by: mike brune (---.fidnet.com)
Date: August 08, 2008 08:49PM

Eddie,
I like my Pfleugers, but I also like my Galvan, I try to always buy the best I can afford at the time. The I used once Salmon fishing the Plfeugers I've been using for trout fishing the last five years with no problems. Good luck fishing.

Mike

Mikes Custom Fly Rods

Posted by: les cline (---.dsl.ksc2mo.swbell.net)
Date: August 08, 2008 09:12PM

The Loomis Venture 7 (7-8 wt) is a great buy at $100.

Posted by: LARRY PIRRONE (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: August 08, 2008 09:27PM

j. austin forbes salt water disk drag reels show up on @#$%& as new old stock all the time. they can be had for about 220.00. they are a superb reels and will handle a seven wt well. at 3.75" they may be a tad large for seven wt but will hold all the line and backing you need for species up through good size yellowtail. if you can find a 3 1/2" salmon/stellhead it would be a better match.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: August 08, 2008 11:50PM

For my part, I'd buy a Van Staal and never think twice about it, despite the price, especially for saltwater use.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Eddie Taylor (---.midsouth.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 09, 2008 12:04AM

Wow! Folks, appreciate all the great feedback. This is what makes this site so great. Definitely gave me alot to think about.

Personally, I am all over Pflueger, but, I know this gentleman is definitely into the high-end gear. He loves his Tibors, but, just do not want to go down that path.

I have the fear of getting something that he may view as not the "quality" he is use to. Then, may question the same about the rod I have made for him. On the other hand, do not want to get a $600 reel like what he has now and have him feel that I am trying to run up the costs or spend more than I/he should.

I know - over analyzing too much.

Want to give him a quality setup that he will be thrilled with. He has mentioned some other rods he wouldn't mind having, so want to get this one right.

Thanks,
Eddie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2008 01:11AM by Eddie Taylor.

Posted by: Erik Osterby (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: August 09, 2008 02:49AM

les cline Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Loomis Venture 7 (7-8 wt) is a great buy at
> $100.

Agreed. I just picked one up and I'm impressed. I haven't used it yet, but for the money it's a nice reel.

Erik

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: August 09, 2008 08:34AM

I think your customer will see the Galvan and be very pleased. Granted, he could have performance as good from a much cheaper reel, but if he has a need for the top-shelf name, Galvan should please him and not break the bank.

Posted by: Kyle Ligon (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: August 09, 2008 11:32AM

I fish offshore in my yak so I need a waterproof reel for punching through he surf. After searching for awhile I found Danielsson-flyreels(.com, with 3- s's). They are expensive, but are good to 300' deep(incase I take it scuba diving with me) and have wide arbors in both directions(arbor is wide and so is the reel). They have been dunked in salt repeatedly with no problems, and they are a dream to use. I am Pro Staff for them but I am not a sponsor here so I will not sell you one, but you can always go to their website in Sweden and order one. They might even give you a discount if you mention my name.(I don't get any $ for this) They didn't pick me for Pro Staff, I picked them because I love their reels. I wouldn't recommend them if they weren't my first choice for the salt, or anywhere else for that matter. Reguardless, good luck......................Kyle

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: August 09, 2008 12:34PM

Don't overlook older 2nd hand models. Ross Cimmaron's and Gunnison's post 98 are great reels and often can be picked up at bargain prices. The Cimmaron's are usual sold for less but are extremely good sound reels in my experience.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: mike brune (---.fidnet.com)
Date: August 09, 2008 03:18PM

Eddie,
Just ask him what price range he wants to spend, because there is just to many good reels to choose from,and that would help to narrow your choice of reels.

Mike

Mikes Custom Fly Rods

Posted by: Gavin Schar (196.35.158.---)
Date: August 12, 2008 04:06AM

Hi there, I have been following this thread with interest. I would highly recommend the Shilton SL 5 for your purposes. Some of you may not know the brand...it is a line of reels that has taken the South African flyfishing market by storm and distributors are springing up all over the world (which is testimony to the reels capabilities and performance). I once read a review about them which referred to the shilton as the "poor man's Abel". Well, while the reel is significantly less than the equivalent Abel (around $470) I can assure you there is absolutely nothing inferior about this reel. I have fished with Shilton reels and can vouch for there superb capabilities - put the right shilton on and it will handle sailfish, GT's, Tarpon etc all day long the smaller reels are also superb for stillwater trout fishing! Best of all they are very pretty looking reels and built like a tank. I believe there is a distributor in the US somewhere. Have a look on their website they have reviews and views which may help you.

Note I have absolutely no affiliation to shilton.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster