I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Very Old Fly rod restoration; HELP HELP
Posted by: Walt Davenport (---.tycoelectronics.net)
Date: August 06, 2008 12:38PM

I'm in the deep end now! Today I received what looks to be a very, very old fly rod (hexagonal) for restoration, it will only be used as a decorative piece, but I have no idea of what components, or thread colors that should be used to restore it.

The rod needs a couple eyes and a ferrule, and I'd really like to do it justice in the restoration.

I can send photos to anyone willing to advise me on this project.

Many Thanks for any help

Walt
roadhouserods@cox.net

Walt Davenport
"Roadhouse Rods"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Very Old Fly rod restoration; HELP HELP
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 06, 2008 01:25PM

Put a couple photos on the photo page here and let's see if we can identify it. The handle/seat and the area just forward of the handle will be helpful.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (209.96.211.---)
Date: August 06, 2008 02:13PM

Send me the photos by direct email and we'll see if I can help.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Walt Davenport (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: August 06, 2008 06:16PM

A few pics posted on the photo page.

Here'a a link that has several other / better shots.

[s7.photobucket.com]

Thanks for any input

Walt Davenport
"Roadhouse Rods"

Date: August 06, 2008 07:12PM

Walt,

It's very hard for me to see any real detail there, but from the ferrules I would say the rod has little monetary value. Although, that doesn't mean that it doesn't have tremendous sentimental value for your customer.

A few companies still offer similar ferrules - get the male and female so they match well. You may have to take a photo and send it to a few dealers so that they can match something up for you that looks very similar.

The rod doesn't appear to simply be a fly rod. More like a mooching rod, although I can't really say from the small photos.

Do you have any of the original guides left at all?

Posted by: Walt Davenport (---.tycoelectronics.net)
Date: August 06, 2008 08:43PM

Tom,

Thanks for the reply; if you look at the link above you might be able to zoom in on the pics for a better look. I don't have any of the old guides, just the tip was on it when delivered.

Thanks

Walt Davenport
"Roadhouse Rods"

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 06, 2008 09:12PM

It does look more like a boat rod than a fly rod, but hard to tell with the small perspective.

Replace the ferrules as close as you can. You'll probably want to scrape the finish and redo, as well as replace guides and re-wrap. If there are no splits in the bamboo joints, you'll avoid that chore of re-gluing.

Good luck!

Terry

Date: August 06, 2008 10:14PM

If that's not the reel that came with it, and it may not be, it could very well be a boat/pier rod. In which case a standard steel braced boat rod guide, or 2, would be fine.

I'd have to see th butt section a bit more clearly.

Posted by: Jeffrey Van Zandt (64.186.101.---)
Date: August 06, 2008 10:29PM

It looks some what like a old hendon boat road or a utica what is wrap color? length eyes and that typ of ferrules can be found on @#$%& there were some new ones like on your rod last week but not sure of size look at some of the cane boat rods or cane rods and you may see one like it they go for aroun 10-20 if you could match it up for a parts rod God Bless Jeff Rhonda and Kaya net pup

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: August 07, 2008 01:39AM

Is it bamboo, or wood?
What color is the thread at the tip top? (I'm color-vision challenged) That might be a good starting point for color choices. You could probably imitate that thread diameter with nylon D or E. If nothing else, Gudebrod Candy Apple Red and Metallic Gold trim would look sharp. For guides, Arcane Components, available through some of the sponsors, has agate strippers that would give you a "period" look.

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: August 07, 2008 03:01AM

Tom,

I remember many years ago someone describing a dappling rod, whih was a two handed rod used to cast a short amount of line and then "dapple" a fly on the surface. Just a guess.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Ash Carlton (---.fairchildproducts.com)
Date: August 07, 2008 09:04AM

That looks a lot like an old Montague boat rod. The handle looks a little different but the hosel looks like the few that I've seen. Of course I've been known to be wrong before. The fly reel has me scracthing my head though.

Ash

Date: August 07, 2008 09:30AM

Looking at it again, I'm going to guess the fly type reel is out of place - it doesn't belong there. It's a boat rod.

Many of the older wood boat rods had tops that either allowed line to enter from one side or the other, or could be loosened via a small set screw and flipped to the other side. This allowed you to flip the tip section over when the rod started to take a set. Look at the end of the tiptop and see if you find a small set screw in there.

If not, then you need just one or two guides to put it back like it was. That's about all that rods in that length used.

Montague rods had no particular thread color. Most of the wrapping was done by out-labor and the ladies often wrapped the rods with whatever colors they wanted. This also makes Montague rods somewhat harder to date than those from other makers that used specific colors on specific models for certain years.

I can't say that it's a Montague - a lot of companies built similar rods from the 30's up through the early 1950's.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 07, 2008 10:13PM

Walt, Do yourself a favor. Do'nt tell anyone you can restore old rods.My basement is full of them. Send me a pre paid mailer, the guide and tip/top sizes you need . Sweat that fuerill off and size that up too.I think I have what you need. It looks like a 6ft boat rod with a mooching reel on it. (you can tell by the swevil base on the reelfeet.) I dont believe that reel belongs on there. Too short. E-mail me for more info if I can help. Dennis J. Danku (Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 07, 2008 10:31PM

Walt, Oh yeh, those rods are great steaking our Jersey tomatoes.Now in season and heavy.
Dennis J.Danku(Sayreville,NJ)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster