I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

UK customer want to avoid customs/duty
Posted by: Joshua Markvan (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: August 06, 2008 02:15AM

Got a nice fly rod order from the UK last night (Im in CA). The guy wants to avoid paying duty. Wants me to enclose no receipt but instead a dummy repair receipt. Also wants me to state on the postage/custom form that the rod is being returned for repair.

Id like to see what you guys think about this one.

What would you do?

Josh Markvan
www.markvanheirloom.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: UK customer want to avoid customs/duty
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 06, 2008 03:32AM

Take his money and then fill out the papers correctly and list it as a sale of a new rod and put an inflated value on the customs form. Let him explain that to Customs

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Harold Dean (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: August 06, 2008 06:53AM

Just tell him you don't do business that way. Why would you jeopardize your integrity for someone you don't even know. If he wants your build bad enough, he'll pay for it including the applicable costs to get it to the UK.

Harold

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 06, 2008 07:36AM

The first thing you want tot do is put your question on the internet.
Were some government official can read it, and then check latter to see how you handled the situation.
And also check on the people who gave you answers in favor of doing something against the law.

For all you know, unless he is a returning customer? He may be a government official already checking up on you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2008 07:38AM by Steve Gardner.

Posted by: Joshua Turner (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: August 06, 2008 08:15AM

steve makes a good point

but

if you do what you know is right, no worries

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: August 06, 2008 08:21AM

Hi Josh,

The info the above gents have given you is spot on ( I really likes Steves post - LOL). The big thing you have to be thinking of is your payment. How is he going to pay you? Be very sure you get payment in U.S. funds only or the exchange rates may get you. If he is paying by check or money order be sure to check with your bank to see what their fees are for cashing foreign payment. This can be $25.00 of higher.

There is a way to except foreign payment (from some foreign countries) without these fees is to use your US Postal office. The USPS does not advertize this but they have agreements from some foreign Postal services to accept their money orders without charging you any extra fees. I'm unable to find my list this morning but I'm sure England is on the list, but check with your Post office to be sure. Again be sure payment is made out to be cashed "IN U.S. FUNDS ONLY".

I'm not sure of the process involved in extra fees in credit card sales (if you take credit cards). I accept credit cards via PayPal and s far as I know they only accept payment in US funds only.

There are a lot of tricks and turns when dealing with foreign sales. I try to stay away from them as much as I can.

The sale may look good to you right now but with all the problems that can occur with foreign sale you can get burnt.

Good Luck

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2008 08:24AM by Milton (Hank) Aldridge.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 06, 2008 08:22AM

Joshua,

I'd tell him that you're not interested.

No sale is worth breaking the law and this isn't the type of customer you want.

Posted by: Bud Murphy (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: August 06, 2008 08:53AM

Joshua Markvan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Got a nice fly rod order from the UK last night
> (Im in CA). The guy wants to avoid paying duty.
> Wants me to enclose no receipt but instead a dummy
> repair receipt. Also wants me to state on the
> postage/custom form that the rod is being returned
> for repair.
>
> Id like to see what you guys think about this
> one.
>
> What would you do?

Just ask yourself if you are you an ethical and honest person, you will then have your answer.

Posted by: Robert Moffat (---.253.205.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: August 06, 2008 08:55AM

Joshua:

Tell him in a nice way Thanks but No Thanks. Like all the others who responded its not worth the risk. I would tell him that I am flattered that he wanted me to do his build, but I think that they are some builders in the UK that could do it for him.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: August 06, 2008 09:06AM

No, no, no. Do you have any idea how hot and humid Guantanamo is this time of year?

Customs fraud, mail fraud and insurance fraud (when you insured a fraudulent transaction) ... they are ALL felony charges. Give me another hour and I can figure out two or three more FELONIES to stick on the list. The good news is that IF you haven't been in trouble before, you will probably get only massive fines, a pair of IRS audits, future international travel restrictions and federal probation.

BTW, if you think Steve's post is funny ... just imagine how funny the IRS agent is going to find it later today. And YES, we do have various federal LE officers all over this board - you would be surprised.

Posted by: Rena Hall (---.oc.oc.cox.net)
Date: August 06, 2008 10:53AM

Bud Murphy is the man! ---- with the obvious answer.

Rena

Posted by: Richard Hahn (199.173.225.---)
Date: August 06, 2008 11:18AM

If you want a cheap rod go to Walmart ...........

Do you really want someone who will cheat the government and maybe you displaying your workmanship?

Is that the kind of clientele you really want?

In my humble opinion, rod making should be considered a crafted art where the clients treasure your work and others envy their treasure .........

Not someone that wants to sneek it through customs to save a buck .......... if you did this, how do you think this person would regard you or your work?

Just my opinion ........

Posted by: Bryan Ion (---.cable.ubr04.gate.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: August 06, 2008 12:45PM

I live in the UK and buy quite a bit of rod building stuff from the USA,one things for sure,if you send it under insured to beat UK customs and it goes missing or there is no proof of delivery,you will only get the insured value back,not what the item is actually worth.
in The UK HMS customs and exsise will base the duty and VAT on the goods actual insured value.Some parcels even dont get picked up and are delivered without duty and vat but that is a bit of a lottery these days,
I always work on the principal that if they haggle the price then they dont really need it anyway and are plain time wasters.

Personally why would you want to take the risk on a one off for a guy you dont even know and who probably wouldnt care if you went to jail,as long as he got his rod.

Just my tuppenth worth anyway.

Bryan

Posted by: Russ Pollack (209.96.211.---)
Date: August 06, 2008 02:21PM

If this guy is worried about the shipping/customs, etc., then trust me, he's not gonna be fun to deal with on the price, or worse, once you deliver the piece, he's gonna come back at you for something "wrong" and hassle you about the price. If it was a Stateside deal, and even if he paid full price up front, I'd tell him no, because this kind of customer is nothing but trouble from a business standpoint.

From a legal standpoint it's just plain ugly. The initial jeopardy is all on you. Think he cares? Think again.

Overall, the answer is not only no - but no bloody way. And unlike some of the suggestions above, no way would I be nice about it, either.

Buit that's just me.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2008 02:25PM by Russ Pollack.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: August 06, 2008 04:00PM

I find it very simple, If you have yo ask what we would do, you must know it is wrong.

DON`T DO IT!!!

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Mike Adams (71.80.150.---)
Date: August 07, 2008 12:13AM

Ethics and legalities aside, it sounds like a scam to me. You send him a real product and he sends you a bogus money transfer and a laundry list of excuses why you must expedite the order. He receives the product and then sells it on @#$%& or wherever for a quarter on the dollar.

We might all be wrong but he stumbled badly by initially wanting to circumvent the law.

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.prtel.com)
Date: August 07, 2008 01:45PM

They don't care about the repair receipt, they go off the declared value of the package.

So if you send a $500 rod and a $50 repair receipt, they are going to put duty on the $500 rod.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.)
Date: August 07, 2008 04:27PM

Have him contact FEdX for a pickup on his number and then it all falls on him to provide all that info. All you do is build the rod and charge him for it.

Posted by: Bob Nicklin (---.range81-156.btcentralplus.com)
Date: August 08, 2008 02:57PM

As someone born and living in the UK it saddens me to hear that someone wants you to commit what looks like an offence just to save some money, he's hardly cutting you in on the deal. Not that that should cloud your judgement. English VAT would add 17.50% to the cost.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster