I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Mag Spool Reels
Posted by: Todd Theodore (---.fuse.net)
Date: August 04, 2008 05:44PM

I just bought a new BPS spinning reel w/ the mag-spool technology. I have to admit, it seems great so far. But, it brings up a question about the first guide size. Normally I start w/ a #25 Concept guide. But, I'm wondering if Fuji's suggestion of a #30 (which I've always felt was just too big) might work better w/ these reels. Anybody have any experience w/ this?

Also, I've always used the guide sizing and spacing system outlined here by the New Concept Guide system (putting the rod on the table, etc.) and from info given by many on this forum. However, I've never really felt like the finished rods casted as well as they should. So, I re-wrapped a rod by using the Fuji suggested guide sizes (minus the #30, I use a #25) and spacing and it does cast better than that same rod did set up the other way. It seems to me that the line traveling through more, smaller guides is more restrictive to line flow. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Todd

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mag Spool Reels
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 04, 2008 06:52PM

Fuji has no idea what reel you're using. Dump that suggestion and set the rod up manually - that's the only way it'll be fine tuned for the reel you're using.

Read the article in RodMaker about the NGC. If you do what it says your rod will cast better than it ever has before.

And remember, the guides need to be tuned to the line size you're using. You don't just use "small guides" - you need to use the "proper" sized guides.

And do keep in mind that the larger spool reels will reduce distance, not increase it, regardless of what the advertising people tell you.

Date: August 04, 2008 09:41PM

I've actually read all the articles and followed the directions. I think I have used too small of runner guides. That may be part of the problem. I don't know if the larger spool has increased casting distance. But, it certainly hasn't decreased. I wanted to see if it would cut down on the nasty loops that the braided lines seem to invent. So far it has had a dramatic effect.

Date: August 04, 2008 09:48PM

Smaller guides aren't what you want - you want the smallest guides that will still perform the required task well. There is a difference.

Try it again and use a larger choker and running guides. Move up until distance no longer improves, then move down until it drops off. Back up one step and stop there.

Just out of curiousity, what size line are you working with, how long of a rod and how many guides are you using? This might help us dial you in a bit closer right off the bat.

Date: August 04, 2008 10:12PM

I've been using 20lb power pro braid on a 6'6" Medium action spin rod. First guide is #25, #16, #8, & 5 #6's for runners. Total of 8 guides.
There just seems to be friction when casting. And this is with normal spool spin reels. Not the mag spool. I just got it and have only tried it on the rod I repositioned the guides on. It seems to cast much smoother. However, I have gone to #15 braid on that spool and that may be where some of the smoothness comes from.

Date: August 05, 2008 09:41AM

The smaller the diameter of the line, the better it's going to cast.

I can't say for sure but having that #8 in there would seem to upset the straight line path. But I'm not there to see it so I can't say for sure.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 05, 2008 09:59AM

Todd;
Like Tom I haven’t seen your set up. So I don’t have all the info needed to support you.

But I can tell you it’s not your “runner” guides. I use 20lb braid on spinning rods with down to 2mm running guides with out any distance lose. In fact I have experienced increased casting distance with the smaller guides. But I also am not casting leader knots through them.

I also think Tom is on to something with the 8mm guide observation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2008 10:01AM by Steve Gardner.

Date: August 05, 2008 10:37AM

Look through your guides, from the butt to the choker guide (which is also your first running guide) and what do you see? Does each ring concentrically frame the next one? What you see should resemble an archery target. If the rings are helter skelter, one high, one low, etc., then you've found your problem.

Date: August 05, 2008 08:30PM

Sorry. Change that #8 to a #10.
Looking down the guides (first three), they do look good as far as being concentrically sound.
I don't know, maybe I'm just imagining it. Back to more testing.
Thanks guys.

Date: August 05, 2008 08:44PM

One more question. Is the choker guide going to be a high framed guide? I've been using the low framed fly guides for the choker and runners. Of course, they don't make a high framed #6 so I guess they'd have to be low frame.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: August 05, 2008 09:05PM

"And do keep in mind that the larger spool reels will reduce distance, not increase it, regardless of what the advertising people tell you."

Tom,

Why would a larger spool (diameter) reel reduce distance if the stipper guide is matched to it?

DR

Date: August 05, 2008 09:53PM

The line leaves the spool in larger coils. That reduces distance any way you cut it.

Todd,

Have you read the article in Volume 10 #4 issue of RodMaker?

The choker will be the lowest and smallest guide you use.

Date: August 06, 2008 09:30AM

It's been awhile since I read it. But, that's what I thought and how I have them set up.
Thanks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster