I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How many Fly Rods is enough???
Posted by: Pete Sansone (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: August 04, 2008 03:22PM

Well Guys,
I've posted about 10 times or so now and I'm not sure when the "newbee label" wears off but I have a question for you experts. Exactly how many fly rods do I need? When I made my 1st fly rod, I was 17 years old in 1969, it was a Fenwick 9' 2 peice 6 weight which I still have. Although I only started the habit up again a little over a year ago, I've built about 10 fly rods, some for family and friends but most for you guessed it, me! I don't really know how many store bought rods I own but I have also started giving them away as an excuse to make more. So guys, where does it stop? Do I go pro? I know I'm surely not that good after seeing some of the masterpieces that you guys have made! So what do I do? How do I explain this addiction to my wife? Will my family and friends show up for one of those interventions or will the de-programmers kidnap me in a moving van? I just wondered how the rest of the crowd manages this highly addictive activity???
Thanks in advance,
Your friend in S.E.Fla,

Snooker Pete

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How many Fly Rods is enough???
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: August 04, 2008 03:50PM

I tell my better half that when she quits decorating the house with her collections and starts throwing or giving away the shoe collection and "I'm saving this oufit to wear when I get skinny collection", come talk to me.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 04, 2008 04:00PM

You need 23 fly rods. It would be hard to get by with less.

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: August 04, 2008 04:13PM

Pete,

I started building fly rods in the early 60s. Sometime around 1990, my beloved wife asked me how many fly rods I needed. She told me I had one for each finger. So between my day job and her comments I stopped for about 10 years. In 2000 I returned to building rods again. I can also say that even if you extend your fishing to almost all fishing types from pan fish to saltwater monsters so that you have a flyrod dedicated to each type of fishing, you will still want to build another rod. This is an addictive avocation which can also become a vocation.

When I retired in 2001, I decided to begin selling my rods. In 2002 I opted for a business license to enable me to buy components at a lower cost. By selling rods, I am able to continue to build new rods each year withoutputting too much pressure on our family budget. I also try to limit my business so that I stillhave time to fish. Unfortunately Rodmaker Magazine and this forum bring me so many new ideas that the urge to build a new rod is irresistible.

You can also donate rods to chariable organizations and even offer rod building classes at your local highschool or community college. This will also provide you rod building opportunities. Good luck and enjoy your addiction--it is perfectly harmless except on your pocket book.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Joshua Turner (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: August 04, 2008 04:23PM

I agree with Tom, and believe it may be 25 by this time next year.

you should get back to it.

Posted by: John Martines (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 04, 2008 04:35PM

I don't know about how many fly rods but I have 37 surf rods (13 blanks) 5 boat jig type rods and a few fly and freshwater. My father only fishes fresh now (83 years old) but has over 100 rods. I have know idea why but he does!! I just got a old Harnell from him to restore!! You can never have to many!! Can you??

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: August 04, 2008 04:38PM

Tom's and Joshua's numbers sound about right. In other words, they are about 20 rods more than I thought I needed before I began building my own! There's a guy who posts on here named Matt Davis who signs off with "better to have and not need than to need and not have." That's brilliant!

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: August 04, 2008 05:31PM

I started by building a fly rod in about 2001 as I needed something different from my factory rods. I recently completed my 64th rod, (not all fly rods) since that time and have several blanks beckoning now. Like others I sell one on occasion but give away or donate many and have a few standing in corners that have yet to be fished. I have no idea how many remain on hand presently as knowing such might cause me to rationalize that I have enough.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Bill Lane (---.san.res.rr.com)
Date: August 04, 2008 05:42PM

The answer to "how many is enough?" or as I hear, "how many fishing rods do you need?" is always...ONE MORE!

Posted by: Thomas F. Thornhill (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: August 04, 2008 06:08PM

I only have six fly rods and I think I might build a few more for myself. This doesn't count the fly rods I build for others, today I wrapped thirty Sage rods and tomorrow I will wrap fifteen more. The low number of personal fly rods is due to the fact that I don't fly fish.

Thomas F. Thornhill

Posted by: Russ Pollack (209.96.211.---)
Date: August 04, 2008 06:51PM

Why stop with fly rods?

You know it might be a bit much when you have to go buy bigger rod racks and more transport tubes for your rods because there's no more corners to stand them in.

But you need them. And if you need them, you want them.

Think about this - you never leave home without a minimum of three rods - two for all the possibilities of the day you have planned, and one for a spare. And that's just for a half-day trip to the local lake or pond. You don't know what the surf will be like this morning or this afternoon, so you need a rod for each possibility. You have no idea if there will be 'cuda in amongst the dolphin and grouper you were originally going out for, but that's three different rods - plus spares.

Every customer we've had who takes delivery of his new rod, says the next one he wants is - - - (fill in the blank) before he even leaves the shop. We don't even ask anymore. We just build 'em.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: David Spence (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: August 04, 2008 08:10PM

48-one in two, three, four and five pieces in weights 1-12-if my wife says anything, I merely point to her shoe boxes. Extra rods if using fiberglass!

Posted by: Harold Krause (---.satx.res.rr.com)
Date: August 04, 2008 10:18PM

It reminds me of an old lollypop commercial…One, Two, Three…The World may never know.

Posted by: Robert Moffat (---.253.205.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: August 05, 2008 09:20AM

I'm with you!! Sound like you and me have the same mindset.

Posted by: Pete Sansone (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: August 05, 2008 09:45AM

Well Guys,
Thanks for all your advice! I got a little bit from all of you and I'm going to use a combination of all your combined knowlege as you guys sound like you've figured out how to build your cakes and fish with them too! or was that eat your rods and fish with your cakes? I think I'm more confused than when I started! I guess I'll just go w/ the flow and keep pumping out rods for Charity (which I've already done) give some to family and friends, maybe sell or trade a couple and aim for the perfect number of rods to keep for myself!
Thanks again,
You guys are the BEST!

Snooker Pete

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dotnet.com)
Date: August 06, 2008 09:14AM

10 fly rods? That is a "starter set" dude.

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: August 08, 2008 03:09PM

One is too many...Then again, I'm center pin/float rod freak!

Paul

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster