I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pac Bay wrapper /dryer??
Posted by: John Martines (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 03, 2008 09:38PM

I have a Pac Bay XL wrapper and dryer and as I type this I have a rod drying on it. The problem is that when ever I set it to spin on dry after about 20 min The rod comes out of the chuck. It's kind of like the supports kind of thread it out after a while.I'm afraid to leave a rod dry without checking it every 15 mins. It's happened to every rod I have built and I'm wondering if anyone has a solution !

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pac Bay wrapper /dryer??
Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 03, 2008 09:44PM

I use a hose clamp around the fingers of the chuck

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: August 03, 2008 09:46PM

Make sure you have it rotating the same direction that you tighten the chuck AND put a bit of masking tape around the butt cap of the rod, the chuck needs a bit of texture to "bite" into to keep from slipping.

Posted by: John Martines (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 03, 2008 09:58PM

I'll give them a try! Thanks

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 03, 2008 10:01PM

You got some good advice! Also, Make sure that the rod centerline is perfectly level all the way out. For piece of mind, You can also place something heavy (like a can of alcohol) up close in front of the tip.to keep it from moving forward

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Harold Dean (207.194.36.---)
Date: August 03, 2008 10:02PM

I use the same dryer and have never had that problem. Are your support stands at the same height as the centre of your jaws. If they are a bit lower, gravity will pull the rod from the jaws not to mention the epoxy will build ever so slightly to the right side of your wraps. Just a thought.

Sorry Mike, didn't mean to quote you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2008 11:26PM by Harold Dean.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: August 03, 2008 11:19PM

A few spins of tape around the jaws and into the handle equals peice of mind. Better safe than sorry.

NERB that types with a bar of Ivory soap in his mouth.

Posted by: Bill Lane (---.san.res.rr.com)
Date: August 03, 2008 11:37PM

I have tried most of the above with mine. I now wrap tape around the two disks behind the chuck jaws so that they can not loosen. Since my rods still want to work forward sometimes, I use a tiny bungee(shock) cord and hook one end on the reel hood and the other on one of the protruding chuck jaws. No problems since.

Posted by: Fran Park (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: August 04, 2008 12:55AM

I have seen this topic discussed here several times before. i have to say that my experience is the same as Harold's. I do not have the "new improved" chuck on my Pac Bay. My rods turn opposite of the direction of tightening the jaws, and I don't have a problem with the rod coming out. I always make sure the metal tightening bar begind the chuck itself is very snug, and in the case of a fly rod seat, I make sure to thread the bottom locking hood all the way forward and tighten the chuck onto the butt cap itself.

Leveling the rod is a critical step, and one that I have made the mistake of neglecting in the past. After removing and rewrapping several guides on an ultralight, because of the lopsided finish issue Harold mentioned, I make sure the rod is in the wrapper level.

As for Mike's suggestion about placing a can of alcohol at the tip, I was sure all of Mike's alcohol came in a bottle.

Posted by: Timothy Johnson (---.pubsafety.wesleyan.edu)
Date: August 04, 2008 02:21AM

I have the dryer and use the Hose Clamp trick. I also make sure the wheels are tightened and the large finger nut is also tightened. I use 2 dryer stands as well to better support the tip and level things out. No problems with the chuck coming open with that hose clamp on it! I will hand turn the rod for an hour or 2, depending on the the finish setting up and then let it turn. I leave a fan blowing on the motor, away from the rod to help keep it cool.

Posted by: Mike Pedersen (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: August 04, 2008 04:54AM

Velcro strap. Quick, easy hasn't failed yet.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 04, 2008 09:38AM

Level rod centerline is the first step for finish and for tightness.

I also hand tighten the jaws, then hold them closed with my right hand, and tighten the wingnut behind the jaws with my left at the same time. I don't use tape or clamps and haven't had a rod come loose yet. I've rotated in both directions so I guess I'm lucky.

Terry

Posted by: Russ Pollack (209.96.211.---)
Date: August 04, 2008 12:25PM

I think John is referring to the wrapper itself, which can also be used as a dryer. You can make it spin in either direction and as was noted above, the best thing is to make it go in the direction of the tightening motion.

You don't have to switch to the "Super" chuck, because it has exactly the same problem. We've heard a lot of discussion about Pac bay maybe fixing the problem for the high-speed function by reversing the threads on the chucks but they don't seem interested in solving this. So, the tape-around-the-jaws-and extended onto the workpiece is about all that's left to do.

If yiou have the little rubberized caps that go over the jaws, you can cut serrations into them like small teeth. This will also improve the "grip" on the workpiece.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Walt Davenport (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: August 05, 2008 09:25PM

Well, let's see if this response isn't removed.

Pac Bay couldn't care less about solving your problems; they have been aware of them for quite some time, and have had numerous complaints from many builders including a few that are what I'd call high volume Rod Builders (of which I am not one) I build on average of 6 rods a month.

I received several emails from Bob C. Lee stating how concerned they were with the chuck problems after I sent emails and posted a few concerns on this forum; he also stated several times to me that they would "be in touch" and "keep me updated" To date no solution has been offered other than wrapping rubber bands around the chuck, or using tape, etc. Flexcoat and Renzetti would never propose such a solution if they had similar issues

Even at the big show, in spite of my problems I asked Bob at Custom Tackle to get me a wrapper with the new chuck design; to date he hasn't been able to supply it.

In my very humble opinion, steer clear of the Pac Bay Wrappers / Dryers and spend a few more bucks with a company that's willing to stand behind a quality product.

If you'd like a copy of the email string from Pac Bay regarding the chuck problems I had, shoot me an email at roadhouserods@cox.net and I'll be glad to show you what lip service is all about.

Most of the sponsors of this forum are reliable, Pac Bay isn't one of them; spend your money wisely! A reputation takes a long time to build and a short time to destroy.

Tight Wraps

Walt

Walt Davenport
"Roadhouse Rods"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2008 01:22AM by Walt Davenport.

Date: August 05, 2008 09:41PM

I have had exactly the opposite experience with PacBay and have found them very good! One thing to keep in mind is that the PacBay, American Tackle and Batson wrappers are the same. NONE of the companies designed or build them. They import them!! I had the same problem until I realized that 1,000's of builders use them and have never had the problem. Once I started paying attention and made certain that the rod centerline was perfectly level the entire length and tightened into all 3 supports, I have never had one come loose. If the rod is at an angle, it's more than likely going to eventually come out of the chuck The fact that the large majority of users have no problem, would indicate user error.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Walt Davenport (---.tycoelectronics.net)
Date: August 05, 2008 10:28PM

Mike Barkley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have had exactly the opposite experience with
> PacBay and have found them very good! One thing
> to keep in mind is that the PacBay, American
> Tackle and Batson wrappers are the same. NONE of
> the companies designed or build them. They
> import them!! I had the same problem until I
> realized that 1,000's of builders use them and
> have never had the problem. Once I started paying
> attention and made certain that the rod centerline
> was perfectly level the entire length and
> tightened into all 3 supports, I have never had
> one come loose. If the rod is at an angle, it's
> more than likely going to eventually come out of
> the chuck The fact that the large majority of
> users have no problem, would indicate user error.

Mike, I certainly respect your opinion, but I suspect that of the thousands that use them hundreds have said nothing about the problems that exist. The Mgmt of Pac Bay acknowledges that there is indeed a problem with their chucks letting go and yet continue to sell an inferior product to an unaware public. I don't think the average rod builder should have to make sure their rods are exactly level to prevent falling out of the chuck.

Walt Davenport
"Roadhouse Rods"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2008 10:31PM by Walt Davenport.

Date: August 06, 2008 12:50AM

Walt,
I agree we shouldn't have to worry, but my point was that the same problem occurs with the American Tackle and Batson so why single out Pac Bay, They are ALL aware of the problem. I don't have the answer and obviously neither does the masnufacturer. If leveling the rod eliminates the problem, that would indicate that at least some of the problem is in the way we use the machine. I don't understand why you feel that a builder shouldn't have to use the machine properly and put the rod in level so it won't come out. If you apply your finish to rod that is not level and it forms a lump on one end or is wavy, is it the finishes fault??

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Posted by: Walt Davenport (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: August 06, 2008 02:30AM

Mike,

I hear you, and I agree that we should all be careful to use our equipment properly and follow the manufacturers guidelines for optimal performance. If I have a problem with my finish I know that I caused it everytime. If I have a rod fall off the dryer and ruin the finish of that one and any under it because I forgot to add a hose clamp, tape, rubber bands, check for level, make sure it's turning counter clockwise, etc, maybe it's partly the fault of the company that makes it, and not all me??

Why did I single out Pac Bay? John started this thread regarding a Pac Bay product and I was simply responding to his inquiry. On top of that I still have a burr under my saddle resulting from the lack of concern by the very same company listed in this thread that has continued to ignore the known problems they have with their product at the expense of the folks that have spent good money for reliable equipment.

If Amtak and Batson are selling the same product with the same problems it's news to me, as I only have experience with the Pac Bay product.

But Mike, It's hard for me to understand that any company, supplier, manufacturer would continue to bring a product to the market that has a known and well documented defect, without any remedy being offered.

I feel like I'm an average rod builder in this community building only 50-80 rods and roughly 100 repairs a year, and I can't yet justify some of the high end equipment that I'd like to have, but I feel like myself and every other consumer are entitled to a product that performs correctly for our hard earned bucks, no matter what we spend for it.

Mike, I have awesome respect for you as a builder and as a contributor to this industry; you are one of a handful that has inspired me along the way and have shown me the dark side. But on this matter I think we see it from a different perspective, you have a favorable opinion of Pac Bay; and because of your status in this industry I suspect that they are more accessible to you than I and would quickly remedy any problem you made them aware of. Myself on the other hand, joe average rod builder, small scale, 8-10k a year in components purchaser; am at the mercy of companies like Pac Bay that put entry level tools on the market at an attractive price for me to find that I got what I paid for, and then offer no remedy when the product doesn't do what It's supposed to.

I guaratee you If Roger Seiders or a member of the Renzetti family had this problem there would be changes to the product, and a remedy for the folks that purchased the faulty equipment, I can only wonder why Pac Bay and the other distributors you mentioned haven't done the same.

Whether I buy a product for $100 or $1000 I feel I have the right to expect it to perform as advertised; someone please let me know when Pac Bay includes rubber bands, hose clamps, tape, spirit levels, etc, and instructions of how to use same to keep rods from falling out of their chucks; and before anyone accuses me of Pac Bay bashing I'll say for the record that I really like some of their other products including the epoxy mixer and guides.

I only wish that they would fix this problem and provide a remedy to the folks that have the equipment in question.

Promises win customers; performance keeps them!

Walt Davenport
"Roadhouse Rods"

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2008 02:45AM by Walt Davenport.

Date: August 06, 2008 03:50AM

I'm pretty much agreeing with you. I'm not accusing you of bashing PacBay, just pointing out that it is a much wider thing than just them. I appreciate your comments but I have exactly ZERO status in the industry and you build as many rods a year as I do. They are not the only company out there that burys their head in the sand and hopes that problems go away. I just prefer to work my way around problems and if I can't, I avoid the product. I am unhappy with my wrapper and it is only used for repair sanding work on grips finish mistakes. I never wrap with it and use it as a dryer when my other dryers are all in use. I stick to handwrapping and have no interest in power wrapping. Basically, I look at it as as $300 decoration on the bar.

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: August 06, 2008 09:17AM

Here's my take ... it is $300, not over $1000. Perfection isn't obtained cheaply. IMO, the unit IS a good value. That being said, there are a few areas of weakness. However, I haven't actually found any actual defects.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster