I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Mailing One-Piece Spinning Rods
Posted by: David Spence (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: August 02, 2008 04:53PM

Guys- I am mailing 3 seven foot spinning rods to Idaho. My last attempt a mailing a rod via UPS resulted in them somehow breaking an Ugly Stick (yes, that's right) that was in a pvc tube, and then in a cardboard box filled with those d%#@$%# styrofoam peanuts. It traveled the distance of one state and arrived completely shattered and the charge for such service was about $50.00. I have since been using USPS for lower fees and lack of breakage. The rods I am shipping are for a raffle to help a guy with MS. I will be flying out there but don't want the hassle of taking them on the plane. I would appreciate any suggestions for packing and mailing-I'm sure this topic will help others in the future-thanks in advance for any sage advice or even horor stories-David Spence, Cape Custom Rods, Beaufort, NC.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mailing One-Piece Spinning Rods
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 02, 2008 05:37PM

I use very heavy cardboard or PVC but pack the rods inside with sections of pipe insulation, butt, tip and one in the middle. The fit should be snug so if the package is slid along the floor and suddenly stops upon hitting a wall or something, the rod doesn't move inside the tube (this usually results in a broken tip).

Posted by: Joshua Turner (---.andassoc.com)
Date: August 02, 2008 06:36PM

my best advice - insure em when ya ship em

Posted by: Bobby Feazel (---.55.155.207.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: August 02, 2008 07:35PM

I highly recomment Fedex. Not a lot of restrictions. Fair price and fast service. Lower price if you have an account and they will pickup.

Bobby Feazel

[www.shockwaverods.com]

Conventional wisdom will not open the box.

Posted by: sam fox (208.74.247.---)
Date: August 03, 2008 09:55AM

There is no way you can pack them if they are intent on busting them up. I once had UPS break a bamboo rod that was in a cloth bag inside of a metal case inside of a cardboard tube. As Tom said be sure to have it insured. Also be sure to have all kinds of documentation of the value of your rod including all parts and labor. Even then you will get an argument that it is worth no more than a wally world special. They hate to pay full value. I had to fight UPS for 6 weeks to get $300 back on the bamboo. They said even though I had it insured for $300 it was only worth $50.

Posted by: Rich Gassman (71.237.62.---)
Date: August 03, 2008 02:05PM

I would like to mention a little method that has worked for myself. I go to Lowe's or Home Depot and buy a sheet of the 8'X4' wavy plastic porch roofing material. ( I forgot what it is called ) I cut the sheet into 8' long strips with a heavy duty scissors. I also buy a package of the cheap Velcro straps while I am at the store. Cut your PVC tube a couple inches longer than the rod and cut the strip of roofing material the same length as the tube. Push a couple slots at a good holding place for the rod with sharp scissors into the roofing material that the Velcro straps can be put through to hold the fishing rod centered on the strip of roofing material. Now just fold the plastic roofing strip a little so it will slide into the PVC tube and seal the ends. The Velcro straps will hold the rod to the roofing strip and the rod will not be able to slide length ways and impact the tube ends. This has worked well for me and makes a nice rod tube also. It makes it really easy to remove the rod by just pulling on the end of the roofing material. Sorry for the long drawn out explanation, I am not much at writing. Have a great day, Rich.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 03, 2008 05:39PM

just sent a 7 footer to Ontario Can. to my Son,2" PVC tube. USPS 6 days arrived just fine. Wrapped it in a length of foam pipe insulation and some bubble wrap spacers

Posted by: fred schoenduby (---.dsl.chic01.pacbell.net)
Date: August 03, 2008 06:06PM

You lucked out Barry....I sent a antique bamboo 4 piece in a metal original tube to Clearwater B.C. Canada and when the customer picked it up at the post office the metal tube was bent in half. This was sent U.S.P.S and was insured for $800.00 and now the customer is in heated controversy...the problem being is that this tube was in perfect condition and actually worth more than the rod that was not badly damaged inside, go figure. The cost of shipping and ins. was $35.00 and this customer had to pay $80.00 customs charges....our Govt. is not the only rip offs around.

Tight Lines
Tight Wraps
Fishin'Stix by Fred

Posted by: Joe Douglas (---.static.vsat-systems.net)
Date: August 04, 2008 01:59PM

After several attempts with several carriers and disappointments and broken rods, I have settled on USPS Priority Mail for everything, even international shipping. The damage rate is simply less than any of the others and the price is typically much less while the delivery time is quite good. None of them is perfect, but I just have much less trouble with USPS than any other and I ship odd sized items every day.

Seven foot, one piece rods are a personal challenge to the delivery driver regardless of how they are packaged. I think they feel it necessary to break the long packages if at all possible. I've had them arrive squashed, broken in half, portions of the package missing, tire tracks on the packages, and one that looked like it was used as a lever to raise the truck to change a flat tire. It's a gamble every time you ship.

Joe Douglas

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster