I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Big Boost for Custom Rod Building!
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 31, 2008 05:03PM

Since 2001, The RodMaker Magazine Public Library Program has put over 450 books on custom rod building into our Nation’s public and high school libraries. To date, this is the only large scale program in place designed to create and grow the craft of custom rod building.

Making rod building instructional information easily accessible and free to all who want it is the key to perpetuating and growing our craft. Today I learned that Mud Hole Custom Tackle recognizes the importance of the RodMaker Library program and has donated $5000 in support of these efforts. These funds will allow us to quickly add another 600 to 700 libraries to the list of those already participating. Mud Hole should be congratulated for their efforts and these funds will which ultimately help everyone involved in this industry.

If you would like to see a rod building book added to your local public library, please forward the address to me along with the name of the person in charge of book acquisitions at your local library (a quick phone call or email to your library is usually sufficient to get that name).

In addition, Mud Hole Custom Tackle is announcing their own initiative for getting more folks involved in our craft - the Mud Hole Rod Building Education Program is aimed at our Nation’s public schools, clubs and scouts and intends to add custom rod building to the ciriculum of perhaps hundreds of schools within the coming year. The importance of this program cannot be overemphasized - it will expose more young people to custom rod building than any other single effort in the history of our craft. It is also the most comprehensive and complete rod building program ever made available.

For more information on the RodMaker Magazine Public Library Program please visit:
home.earthlink.net/~rmlibrary

For more information on the Mud Hole Rod Building Education Program, go to:
www.mudhole.com/education

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Big Boost for Custom Rod Building!
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 31, 2008 05:24PM

That is Awesome!!!! Hopefully others will follow Mudhole's great example!!!! Kudo's to Mudhole!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.coi.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 31, 2008 06:42PM

In an age when there are no viable rod building organizations -hint,hint- it falls on individuals like Tom and companies like Mud Hole to do this very important work. I'm just glad they are doing it!

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 31, 2008 06:59PM

Mud Hole
Thank you!
Not only for what that will do for our craft. But for the investment you are making into the future and lives of the many young people your efforts will impact.

Posted by: Joe Douglas (---.static.vsat-systems.net)
Date: July 31, 2008 08:32PM

Interesting response. I am aware of at least one viable rod building organization in the sponsor list to the left...RBI.

Joe Douglas

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 31, 2008 10:07PM

The Rodmaker Library Program and the new MH Education Program are welcome signs for the future of custom rod building. Well done gents. Keep up the really great work and generous contributions on behalf of the entire custom rod building hobby. Maybe the hobby won't always be a collection of graybeards with programs like these underway. And they're large enough to really make a difference.

I'm not yet aware of how RBI is growing the craft and recognition of custom rods. This would be a good thread to add their accomplishments and ongoing programs as well.

Donation of $5,000 for 700 Books
Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.151.119.70.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: August 01, 2008 11:26AM

Mud Hole Custom Tackle, Inc is pleased to donate $5,000 to the RodMaker Magazine Library Program. This donation will place 700 books, “Rod-Building Guide: Fly, Spinning, Casting, Trolling” in to 700 public libraries throughout the US. These books will expose rod building to thousands of potential new rod builders.

Mud Hole Custom Tackle believes this donation is just the start of what this craft is capable of. If each vendor, supplier, manufacturer, distributor or sponsor of this forum would give back in some way to this craft we would lay the ground work for future generations of rod builders.

Mud Hole Custom Tackle has always believed in the “build a bigger pie” principle in regards to rod building. New energetic fresh faces are what will keep this craft flourishing. Education, teaching, schooling or tutoring of the rod building craft is needed to help cultivate and broaden the craft.

Giving back may take various forms not just monetary; services, donating new or used goods, mentoring, seminars or educating are great ways to start. Examples for this craft include support of prison rod building programs, teaching rod building in Big Brothers /Big Sisters programs, helping disability programs learn and teach rod building to the disabled, fundraising programs, starting a local rod building group or donating a space for rod builders to meet, involvement in scouting or 4H groups.

Only by getting proactive in the support of rod building can this craft grow and expand for generations to come.

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Date: August 01, 2008 11:47AM

Well said!!!! Again, thanks to you and Tom K for realizing the importance that introducing the craft to younger and wide ranging groups to ensure the growth of this great craft!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: August 01, 2008 01:39PM

I want to point out that previously I had always made sure not to supply the book I did for Amato as the one donated through the program. I placed the books from Clemens, Morris and Pfeffier into the libraries because I didn't want anyone thinking that this program was about getting my book out there.

I discussed this with Tom McNamara of Mud Hole yesterday. He choose my book primarily because it is the most recent and up to date and due to it's weight we can ship a far greater number of them than any of the other book titles. With the Pfeffier book (which is excellent and contains all sorts of "Tackle Craft") we'd only be looking at about 200 books going out. With the one I did for Amato, that number jumps to 600 or 700.

Since Mud Hole made the donation, I was happy to let them choose the book. And, it will triple or better the number of libraries we can include at this time.

Date: August 01, 2008 01:52PM

Out of all of the books available, your's is, IMO, the best suited for introducing new people to the craft. While the others are fine books, much of the info/theories are outdated and they may be somewhat advanced/confusing to people just getting started.

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Another $100
Date: August 01, 2008 03:23PM

I just received a $100 donation from someone who prefers to remain anonymous. He understands the worth of this program. I will be sending out 5 copies of the book, Advanced Tackle Crafting to libraries on my list and providing him with a list of those establishments.

For those of you who would like to participate, you can do so on your own - consult the official website for the program [home.earthlink.net] or simply visit your local library and ask them if they would shelve a donated book on custom rod building. You can buy one yourself and hand carry it to them. Most would be happy to add it to their fishing/crafts collections.

Re: Donation of $5,000 for 700 Books
Date: August 01, 2008 04:12PM

I should mention that Mud Hole will also be handling the procurement and mailing of these books - all I'm doing is sending them the list of libraries to send books to. This saves a ton of time on my end. If I had to take the money, buy the books and mail them myself, well... the next issue of the magazine would be more than a little late.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster