I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Snook Rod suggestions
Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.)
Date: July 29, 2008 04:35PM

I have been asked to build a snook rod for a florida vacation trip. I'm thinking a 7 footer is long enough and something along the lines of a heavy bass type 844 style blank. Is there any reason to go longer or stouter? I have fished for and caught snook some years ago and know they can be tough customers but I'm thinking this type rod will still get the job done. But I'm not so sure that I won't take the suggestions of veteran snook guys.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2008 04:37PM by Peter Sprague.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Snook Rod suggestions
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 29, 2008 04:54PM

GUSA 70M, SW70M have both been recommended for Snook in the past on this forum.

Posted by: John Britt (---.97-97.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 29, 2008 05:31PM

Peter depends on how and where you plan to fish, the blanks Billy mentioned are excellent in many cases, for really tight dock fishing the B70 H may be the ticket
John

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 29, 2008 06:05PM

I would suggest a St Croix 2SW70MHF3. Portable, durable and reliable. Snook are structure fish, so you definitely don't want anything longer than 7'0" ... many days I only fish a 6'6" for the additional leverage AND casting accuracy. For line class, definitely 10-20# or even 12-25# - snook don't play and they aren't small fish.

Posted by: John Britt (---.97-97.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 30, 2008 08:38AM

Peter as I said before much depends on where and time of year the angler chooses to fish

Winter will usually find the fish in deep canals and calls for very slow movement of artificials blanks in the 6'6"-7 ft are ideal line ratings run 8-17 to 12-25 a blank capable of handling 1/4 oz jigs are a good bet

Spring- finds them moving out through the passes with stronger tides a blank that can handle a heavier weight is preferred

Summer Snook will tend be located near some type of structure early they will be spawning but as summer wears on they can be found cruising the swash channels along the beaches a great time for lighter rods and many are found in the Bays on grass flats or near mangroves-White bait is a favorite free lined so a blank with a light tip gets the nod.

Fall back to the passes and inside to the bays heavier tackle in the passes while the flats call for a lighter presentation
Most of the year night dock fishing is popular and productive here the shorter rods come into their own skipping bait under the docks is far easier with the shorter blanks and you need extra power in your ATTEMPT to get them out from under the docks.

A bass blank as you mentioned should work for most of the fish and conditions you will loose a number of fish but we all do why it's called fishing not catching
i like the GUSA blanks simply because they seem to be a little tougher then many of the high end high modulus blanks

Bridge and pier fishing is a world of difference the tackle used is closer to grouper fishing
John

Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.)
Date: July 30, 2008 09:15AM

Thanks for the info. He'll be fishing from a boat in shallow water. Maybe this rod won't be stiff enough after all. I will look at a few more options and talk to him a little more.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (209.96.211.---)
Date: July 30, 2008 11:13AM

Peter - I don't usually suggest blanks but this time I'm going to suggest a Swampland 843 or 844, 7', 1pc blank. These are tough blanks and good all-rounders. Check with Lance to see what he has.

John's just spot-on with everything he said. We've found the key to snook fishing is to know how to use your drag.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2008 11:15AM by Russ Pollack.

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dotnet.com)
Date: August 01, 2008 02:24PM

Peter,
i agree with Jim Gamble. Have built many on those St. Croix blanks he mentioned, and everyone that has one, including me loves them.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster