I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

off topic...homemade thread tension devices
Posted by: David Teague (---.sip.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 26, 2008 02:36AM

anyone have anyone good ideas about homemade thread tension devices? the one I built holds 2 spools of thread and works ok..one fault is has it that the wing nut keeps coming loose while I'm wrapping..if I don't stay on top it can create BIG problems especially with gudebrod metallics.

Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: off topic...homemade thread tension devices
Posted by: Chris Davis (216.186.210.---)
Date: July 26, 2008 03:45AM

David- everything I use is homemade-put a hexnut on 1st and use your wing nut to lock it in place, otherwise the turning spool will either loosen or tighten one nut by itself-depending on which way the spool turns. The drying motor I use was made from a magneto from an old hand crank telephone, some bobby pins, the propshaft from a '63 4 horse Evinrude and the wheel bearings from a 64 Rambler Wagon. Just kidding

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: July 26, 2008 05:05AM

My drying motor is an old rotiser motor. I used a threaded shaft that fits inside the motor opening . Iused rod bond to glue it in place. next I used a 2 inch PVC cap. I drilled a center hole in it . Next I place the cap onto the threaded shaft and screwed on a nut to hold it in place. now I drill 3 holes in the side of the cap and screwed 3 wing screws into each hole. the wing screws well hold the the rod while turning. As for a nut to keep the threat tenion constant I would use a nylon nut and a 3 washers. 1 washer sites against the spool and flat surface the next washer fits against the spool then place a small tension sping next to the washer, now place the 3rd, washer next to the spring. Now place the nylon washer on the threaded shaft adjust tension. How did you make your tension device? Do you have a pic? Email me and I well decrib my systom better.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Denis Brown (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 26, 2008 06:15AM

Ditto Rotisserie motor for my dryer, but I use adjustable plastic cable glands attached to the motor to hold the blank butt.
Ditto hex nut locked by a wing nut on the thread tension device ( I think we have all been there & suffered changing thread tension without a lock nut in our first efforts.......... but easily fixed ).
I have a shortened cheap open end spanner to suit the hex nut in my thread tool box......................makes adjusting the hex nut & locking with the wing nut much easier........................ fat finger under the wingnut holding the hex nut where I wanted it was not an easy go for me!!!!
DenisB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2008 06:16AM by Denis Brown.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 26, 2008 10:12AM

Grind two flats onto your threaded spool shaft. Now take an undersized washer and with a small round file, enlarge the hole top and bottom only, leaving the sides flat. Put this onto the shaft ahead of your wingnut. Presto - your wingnut will no longer loosen while wrapping.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 26, 2008 10:20AM

Wing nuts make adjustment without backing off or tightening very tough. Either use self locking nuts with a teflon inside sleeve or this:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Gon Fishn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2008 01:09PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: July 26, 2008 10:23AM

I am using some "rocks" (short, mixed-drink glasses) to hold the spool, and I run the thread through a book. Adjust the tension by placing or removing books on top of the book with the thread in it. For metallics (and all other threads, as well), this gives you an easy way to fine tune the tension for each type of thread. I have 4 rocks glasses, so I can run 4 threads at one time. If I need to undo some of the wrap, it's easy to maintain tension by pushing the stack of books back. Very low-tech, and quite effective.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2008 10:26AM by George Forster.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: July 26, 2008 10:53AM

Was my post removed for a reason? junkmansj@yahoo.com

Posted by: David Teague (---.sip.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 26, 2008 11:43AM

thanks everyone...I had been to home depot twice getting stuff to redesign my tension device and everything I tried the same issue...strange I never thought of the hex nut...this is one of the reasons I enjoy the site..I like reading about everyone's new ideas on homemade tools and rod design.

Dave

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: July 26, 2008 01:23PM

David, get rid of all the nuts and set it up like this, use paper clips.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 26, 2008 02:37PM

Jay's got the right idea!!!
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]
Works great vertical or horizontally configured!! The paper clips are quick easy to adjust and will NEVER slide, tighten or loosen

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 26, 2008 02:39PM

Here is something I posted in November, 2004.

If you're using all thread with spring and washer, eliminate the wing nut on the end and instead use a metal spring clip, often used in offices. The type I use is a black shell with folding clips on either side to squeeze to open the clip.

Thread spool goes on, washer on outside of spool, and clip is pressed against the outer washer. Very easy to slip in place and adjust tension as necessary.

I believe I also posted a photo.

Jeff Shafer

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: July 28, 2008 08:53AM

David,

Note Tom's response. If you flatten the shaft, and then elongate the hole in the washer, then it cannot spin and loosen/tighten the wingnut. Most of the new carraiges with the spool tightening devices come this way.

You should have also, some plastic/nylon washers of various widths and a spring to adjust the tension.

Send me an email and I can send some pictures of the commercial one I purchased with these features.

Terry

Posted by: Anthony Robertson (146.229.128.---)
Date: July 28, 2008 06:39PM

I put some teflon tape on the thread to keep the wing nuts from moving.

Anthony
AKRods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster