I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

For Professional Builders
Posted by: Ken Finch (---.coi.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 25, 2008 11:41AM

Really for anyone who sells rods in any amount. This is sort of a poll question I guess. I was wondering how your sales are this year compared to the last several years in the same time period. With the tough economic times for many, are you seeing an increase or decrease in sales? Are guys in your area fishing less and buying less tackle, or are things about the same or greater?

Just curious as to how others feel their rod building businesses have been affected if at all by the higher fuel and food prices, mortages, etc. Also if you reply, what part of the country are you in?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: For Professional Builders
Posted by: Perrie Thomas (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 25, 2008 12:02PM

interesting bit of market research !

im in Australia...

i think for me over all i have noticed a drop in mid range priced rod sales...but an increase i the high end sales. so probly up id say

HOTRODS - Perrie Thomas Custom Rods
[www.perrieshotrods.com]

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dotnet.com)
Date: July 25, 2008 02:17PM

Ken,
Custom rods are up slightly from last year. I sell custom rods in Wisconsin and Florida. Repairs however are through the roof! People are saving money by spending $8.00 for a repair instead of $30.00 for the same factory rod new.

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: July 25, 2008 03:00PM

Ken,

I know in Alaska, fishing license sales are down 18-20% ish from last year. Quite frankly, I like it. My fun meter is pegged out on people selling out Alaska all for the mighty $$$, but that is another thread. In the meantime, I'll enjoy fewer people on the rivers!

Paul

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 25, 2008 03:08PM

Tampa Bay here ... sales AND repairs are down, compared to last summer. It costs a LOT to put gas into inshore/offshore boats - powerboats are the transportation choice for 98% of my clients. Sales are down simply due to the majority of the funds going into the gas tank - boat and possibly tow vehicle. Repairs are down simply because they are making fewer fishing trips ... less use = less breakage.

Summer is always the slowest time of year for me ... the heat, humidity and summer squalls keep folks in more.

I do 75% of my work from December thru May. So this isn't the best time to gauge the total effect, but definitely there is one AND it is likely to persist for at least another year or so. We are getting the TRIPLE whammy here ... gas, food and housing/tourism slump.

Posted by: John Britt (---.97-97.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 25, 2008 03:36PM

I stopped selling rods a few years ago prefer doing them for myself and friends BUT repairs here are through the roof in some case total insanity might be close to triple what i did last year. I don't know if it is attempt to save money but as long as the repair is less then a new rod it is go for it.
John

Posted by: fred schoenduby (---.dsl.chic01.pacbell.net)
Date: July 25, 2008 06:32PM

Far North West California here...........What with all the fires and no water in the lakes and rivers due to no snow packs the year has been a complete bust for the local fishing supply houses and on the coast there is no Salmon fishing.....But sales are triple the amount last year or two for rod repairs...Money is tight everywhere it seems.

Tight Lines
Tight Wraps
Fishin'Stix by Fred

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 25, 2008 07:32PM

I will add this “data” for whatever it might be worth. RodMaker Magazine subscriptions are at an all time high. Back issue orders are at an all time high. The sponsor list on this forum, which has always been either full or nearly full, now has a waiting list for companies that would like to be added here.

Maybe people are staying closer to home and just want to read more about rod building instead of fishing. Maybe the reason there are so many sponsors and companies waiting to become sponsors is because business is bad and they feel a real need to advertise. Or, maybe it’s just the opposite. I really can’t say. All I know is that the summer thus far, has been the busiest for the magazine and this website at any time since 1998. The numbers are up all the way around and by a very obvious amount.

My geographical location for sales would be mostly all across the U.S., although worldwide to at least some extent.

Posted by: John Martines (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 25, 2008 08:45PM

Not a pro builder and do not sell, But the place I buy my supplies from also builds customs and they say they are doing very well and have for the past few years. As a fisherman and with the price of fuel I pick and choose my time carefully over years before where I would just go no matter the conditions. I beleive many are doing the same. Also it seems a lot of people (like me) Are starting to build rods now and one would think that would take some costomers away.
Rod building was for me a "you can't do it yourself" kind of thing and now with all the info out there it's more accessible to people. As a craft and for the hobbie I think it's great, for the custom builder it might not. I might be way off as I'm sure there are alot more fisherman then builders but... you also have factory rods getting better as well!

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: July 26, 2008 05:40AM

I have been retired for a few years, so my missed spelled comments may not hold much lead wait.(LOL) My belief is this if you are an established custom rod builder you should have a long list of customers who do not care what your rods costs. If they need a rod they well come.. Never compete with big box stores. That is like comparing apples an oranges. I would not want a customer who goes to Wal Mart and buys a 30 buck rod. Here on the West coast that rod would fail in a month. Here we fish for big fish not pan fish. Just my 2 cent. Ken where are you from? . I know a few builders like Doc Ski, Mark, Kerry, Adam and Randy are always busy. These guys specialize in certain types of a rod and design speciality rods for those big trophy fish. If you are just starting out selling custom rods you better keep your job and work part time selling custom rods.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: PAUL FANNON (119.77.68.---)
Date: July 26, 2008 07:07PM

I am in Tasmania, Australia.

For me, repairs are up. Rebuilds are up, quite a bit.

Except for regular customers, new builds are down.

Rod building classes which I teach are up. More people wanting to get into building their own rods and save money.

Fuel costs have really impacted the fishing scene. $1.70 a litre, last night when I filled up.

Paul

I fish therefore I am.
www.hookeduprods.com

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.sip.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 26, 2008 08:29PM

I just started my business this year as a side business, in a down economy on purpose. My reasoning for this is that IF I am able to turn a halfway decent profit in a down economy, when people are wiling to spend money, I will have no problems whatsoever. I GUARANTEE I am the worst judge if business is up or down for the reasons listed above however. I am getting more calls about repairs vs new builds if that means anything.

Posted by: Lyle Stokes (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: July 26, 2008 08:32PM

After reading this post I did some checking, over all we are up about 17% with the lite weight stuff down 25%, and the high end stuff down 15%, the mid range builds are up about 45% and repairs up 75%. The 17% came from money taken in.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: July 27, 2008 01:05AM

Repairs in time turn into custom rods. When I was in business 2/3rd of my repairs turned into a custom rod in about a year.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 27, 2008 09:29PM

Business is booming! Repairs are at an all time high and custom rods are holding their own. I think some people are having stuff fixed rather than buying new rods.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 27, 2008 10:04PM

Repairs are becoming a mainstay and very profitable and consistant income. Many sales are generated from past repair customers. Thos builders that don't want to bother with repair work are really doing themselves a disservice. One other thing, A couple local stores send me a lot of repair work (They don't want any money and don't know how or want to bother with it) They only give out my card/phone number and the customer contacts me direct. That is the best way. It gets the customer into my shop where, in most cases, he see's his/her first custom rod and gives you the perfect chance to acquaint them with what you do. I've never understood why so many builders simply pick up/drop off repairs to the shop and don't want to deal with the customer!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster