I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Decal Prep-Finish or bare rod?
Posted by: John Repaci (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: July 24, 2008 03:13PM

I've run a search but can't find an answer for this. Do I apply a Testors waterslide or any other decal to a bare clean blank, or do I need a coat of finish on the blank first? The blank is a nicely finished Rainshadow SW967F. Thanks for your help.

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
John in Wethersfield, CT

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Decal Prep-Finish or bare rod?
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 24, 2008 03:16PM

I always apply a coat of finish BEFORE the decal and one more after.

Posted by: Lance Lapeyrouse (70.151.77.---)
Date: July 24, 2008 03:39PM

im the opposite........ive never applied an undercoat. i try to minimize my coats so it doesnt have the "bubble" effect

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 24, 2008 04:12PM

Not sure if it makes a difference but I always apply over a coat of lite finish

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2008 04:13PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 24, 2008 04:54PM

Your words decal may not be complete enough for people to give you consistant answers - the problem may be in the question which will give answers that may seem to conflict.

Please let everyone know if you are talking about a waterslide decal transfer (metallic silver or gold), waterslide decal full color, vinyl peel and stick, homemade paper transfer or fish holographic decal.

If you limit your question to a specific "decal" type you will probably get more consistant answers.

Gon Fishn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2008 05:45PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: John Repaci (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: July 24, 2008 05:17PM

For the present application, waterslide color; for the future, all other

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
John in Wethersfield, CT

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 24, 2008 05:44PM

Waterslide full color will have to be placed on a totally white background. One easy way to do this is underwrap with metallic silver, coat of CP and then wrap over top with white nylon A NCP plus two coats of CP. Then apply one coat of finish, waterslide and top coat of finish.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2008 05:46PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: July 25, 2008 09:38AM

Well, I'll disagree with Bill a little bit. We use the Testor's kit, which comes with clear and white papers. When we use white, we don't nead a background; when we use clear, we do.

We usually apply the decal straight away onto the rod, using the Micro Set stuff as the initial coating. The adhesive on the deal is suffient to hold onto the rod finish., We let the whole thing dry fot 24hrs, and then we coat it with a bit of CP and then our epoxy (TM, usually).

BTW, we've found that LS and TM are the only two products that won't melt a decal if you don't use the CP.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: July 25, 2008 10:14AM

Bills way of applying water slide color decals looks and works great . Remember that if you apply a decal to a matte colored blank you will have a cloudy look show through. On a matte blank you should always put a thin coat of finish before placing the decal then one or two coats after the decal has dried.

I never use color preserver over my decals and have used just about all of the different types of finishes out there with the exception of Permagloss and have never had a decal "melt "by putting the finish over the bare decal. By the way, I never wait 24 hours after applying my decal before finishing. Usually 30 minutes is all I wait before finishing up with my epoxy. It has always worked for me but I'm not saying that is the correct way, but it the way that I do it.

Posted by: David Rogers (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: July 25, 2008 11:57AM

White paper waterslide on bare blank. If its clear waterslide paper, you will need to paint the blank white, or wrap with silver or white thread before application. I always just use one layer of thread and then coat with one coat of CP. I don't use any finish before the decal. Now, you can use a layer of finish before application and the decal will "float" a little (look suspended under the final topcoat of finish) but I just never have time for that. Also like Mr. Dupre, I only wait about 30-60 minutes before applying my final topcoat of epoxy. I use Flexcoat and have never had it harm any decal in any way. I also never use any CP on top of the decal but I do sometimes coat the decal with Krylon Krystal Clear acrylic paint before I put it in the water to remove the backing. You can see a tutorial on how I make 99% of my decals here:

[cabochonrods.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster