I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Should ThreadMaster smell exactly like FlexCoat?
Posted by: Jason Alvarado (---.osis.gov)
Date: July 24, 2008 11:17AM

Tried TM for the first time and I'll be darned if it smells just like FC, also levels and sets like FC. I used dark threads so I cant really comment on the clarity. No bubbles at all though.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Should ThreadMaster smell exactly like FlexCoat?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 24, 2008 11:20AM

In many regards, all epoxies are similar. Resins often smell the same. Hardeners are rarely the same from formula to formula, however.

If you are thinking that these might be the exact same products, well... you'd be way off base. They're both excellent finishes but not even close to being the same formulations.

Date: July 24, 2008 11:25AM

I've been way off base before, always made it back in time for muster though...........

Posted by: Rob Hale (---.225.237.216.in-addr.arpa)
Date: July 24, 2008 11:45AM

Right, it's sort of like assuming that two different blanks from two different companies must be one and the same because they are the same color.

But even still, I think there are a few things that probably are the same product and just repackaged by smaller vendors. Not in the case of this epoxy, but a few other things probably.

Date: July 24, 2008 12:46PM

I think I might have come off the wrong way. I wasnt implying that I was given FC in a TM bottle, or any accusation of the sort. I guess that I had a un-Godly expectation of the TM since it has been talked about and built up so much (no pun intended). I'm happy with it, I just thought the similarities were farther apart.

Re: Should Thread Master smell exactly like Flex Coat?
Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: July 24, 2008 02:35PM

Jason, I thought the same thing as you. I thought there would be a drastic difference.There is not much difference in the two as far as how they mix and how each one handles. Chemical makeup I have no idea. I just started using Threadmaster and was applying like I would Flexcoat. I found out I needed to be faster and use less Threadmaster than I did Flexcoat because HB Threadmaster sets up a little faster ( creating wavy areas ) than HB Flexcoat. I always had to use 2 coats of either one to get an even coverage and of course I usually had a couple little "nubs" I had to trim off anyway. Robert ,at Fish Stix 4 You suggested I use Threadmaster Light for the first coat then use Threadmaster HB for the finish coat since I felt I needed two coats anyway. Over the long haul I should be using less finish material and have a flatter finished wrap than I have in the past. Also, I love the clarity of Threadmaster.

I think for the most part, we need practice ( with each product) and don't be afraid to do some experimenting to develop your own application procedures. And pay particular attention to detail in order to learn each products personality.

Date: July 24, 2008 02:53PM

Oh absolutely, I'm going to go that route. I might have been a little generous with the brush the first time. I also didnt have any CP in the wraps and relied on the TM for saturating the threads so I think I will go CP and very thin coats of TM and will probably be very pleased.

Posted by: Joey Yeager (---.twinvalley.oct.net)
Date: July 24, 2008 10:41PM

I think, like Tom said, that the resins are probably very similar. I have done some projects with my business that needed the pour on clear coat. I did the finish carpentry in a sports bar that had old football cards in the finish. This finish smells just the same as FC or TM. The same properties and finishing techniques as far as getting bubbles out and dry time. Looked the same to me, and they may be close to the same. But, I'm sure there is a difference in the material for each application.

Gone Fishin

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 25, 2008 03:32PM

I THINK that all of the finishes are basically casting resins that have had the formulation tweaked to adapt to rodbuilding needs

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster