I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

problems with graphite arbors
Posted by: floyd cashmore (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: July 23, 2008 09:19PM

I purchased Fuji reel seat graphite arbors NSA 16, NSA 18, & Nsa 20. The 16's measure (on average) 14.98mm, the
18's (again average)17.78mm & the 20's 19.30mm. So the only ones that even come close to fitting are the 18's @ 17.78mm. The 16's & 20's easily slide right on though the reel seats. Is there something faulty with the arbors? If not what should I do to make up difference of size between the arbor and the reel seat? Any input would be most helpful.
thanks
floyd

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2008 09:22PM by floyd cashmore.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: problems with graphite arbors
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 23, 2008 09:39PM

I have the same problem with mine. If you instal directly to teh blank, then use the larger size, and sand so teh reel seat fits.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: July 23, 2008 10:05PM

My last few packages of 18s were very loose. I remember all the packages I bought last year were very tight. The 20s have always been too small in my world. I put a layer of drywall mesh on them. Total pain in the butt if you ask me.

Whoops! I should read more closely - I am talking about the Flex Coat white arbors.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2008 10:39PM by Chuck Mills.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 23, 2008 10:22PM

They're made a little small so that the user doesn't have to ream them perfectly in order for the seat to still fit over them. Remember, they're supplying these to wide audience, some who may not be as adept as others at getting a perfect center bore.

So, if you're really after perfection, use the next large size and then sand to fit.

Or... use the Flex Coat urethane type arbors - they're a much, much better fit.

Posted by: Scott Parsons (205.244.119.---)
Date: July 24, 2008 08:24AM

Y ou can also check out my website and I will make them to size to fit your reel seats. Scott Parsons www.scottscustomrods.com

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.phlapafg.covad.net)
Date: July 24, 2008 09:49AM

I'm embarassed that it took me so long to figure this out, but I just used the Flexcoat arbors for the first time, and found them a joy to work with. They fit perfectly, were a cinch to ream, and turned out beautifully. I actually glued up a handle that didn't have glue marks anywhere! Marvelous!

I'll never use anything else again. I think I might start a new thread, detailing my results, so that others might avoid the same kinds of rookie mistakes that I made.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 24, 2008 10:07AM

1. The best thing to do is to lose the graphite arbors.
2. Rather, go with the flex coat poly arbors. Evrerything about them is better. Longer, easier to ream, fit better etc.

However, if you do have arbors that are too small for a nice fit in the reel seat - use them on a project where you are using a smaller seat. Then, simply purchase larger arbors, and mill them down for a perfect fit on the reel seat.
Even with the poly arbors, I will now and then run into an arbor that is too small.

To mill the arbors to size for an odd reel seat or to change an arbort size, I simply do the following.

I put a tapered file in my drill to hold the arbor. Then, I put the drill to turn in a direction so that when spinning the arbor, it will be turning against the turning sandpaper. I use my 42 inch vertical belt sander as a milling device and simply hand hold the spinning arbor against the spinning sanding belt to shape and mill the arbor for a perfect fit into the reel seat.

-- The one thing that you have to be careful when using this method is to not make the arbor so tight that you can't get a good layer of glue between the arbor and reel seat. When shipped from the factory, the graphite reel seats have ridges and valleys molded into the arbor to hold glue and to make a better bond with the reel seat. The poly arbors have an open cell foam structure to hold glue to give a good bond to the reel seat. If you sand the surface of either of these arbors, you tend to smooth the ridges in the case of the graphite arobrs and fill the holes in the poly arbors. So, you need to allow for this when doing the fit of the arbors and allow a bit of space for glue.
The other thing that I do, is to use high pressure air on the arbors after milling to remove any loose graphite or poly that is lodged into the holes of the arbors. This allows the glue to fill the hole and provide a better bond of the arbor to the reel seat.

Take care
Roger

Date: July 24, 2008 10:09AM

Tom I'm not looking for perfection but I feel I'd have to do something with them just to be sure they are centered. Seems a lot of space to take up with epoxy. I do understand what you're saying though. Billy that was my thought exactly. Scott thanks for your offer I've checked out all our sponsors but will check your site again. For now I think I'll try the urethane type arbors. Chris can't argue with success not that I want to argue the point. I wish you continued success. Thanks for the input I know what direction to go now.
floyd

Date: July 24, 2008 10:42AM

Roger I believe I'll do as you say and lose the graphite arbors. I do like your method of sizing the ones I have. Thank you for your insight.
floyd

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 24, 2008 04:02PM

Back when the graphite arbors were fairly new, I got 300 cheap. 100 each of 12mm., 16mm., and 18mm. I still have a couple dozen of each. Apparently the older ones fit better than the current ones. I use both these and the Flex-Coat arbors and very much like them both. But, if the graphite arbors are as off size then as the current ones are, I'll be buying the Flex-Coat atbors in the future.

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster