I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Threadmaster drying time soooooooooo long..
Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: July 23, 2008 08:54PM

Does anyone know why in God's name why Threadmaster takes a month of Sunday's to dry? I know, humidity and all that...But it's only 60% humidity here in Anchorage. And I did mix it correctly too!

Paul

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Threadmaster drying time soooooooooo long..
Posted by: Joey Yeager (---.twinvalley.oct.net)
Date: July 23, 2008 08:58PM

Never had the problem with ThreadMaster taking to long to dry. Dries faster than Flexcoat for me. I live in a very humid area, Wamego KS. Didn't seem to change much when I moved from Dodge City to here. Dodge is close to desert type weather. I don't know if it would be humidity being the factor, what about the temp?

Gone Fishin

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: July 23, 2008 09:40PM

What did you use to mix it with? Tell me something flat and not round, if it's round you have your answer: not mixed well. TM regular build is the fastest setting hardest 2 part finish I've tried, one thing it doesn't do is take long to dry....something is wrong:

poorly mixed
wrong ratio
same part used twice = missing hardner or missing finish

DR

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: July 23, 2008 10:07PM

Hi Duane,

You have me confused. What do you "something flat and not round"?

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: Joe Douglas (---.static.vsat-systems.net)
Date: July 23, 2008 10:08PM

Defintely something else is wrong. TM sets up much faster than other finishes I have tried. It does do better in a warm room. I don't think humidity has any effect on TM or most other epoxies.

If it has not dried in a reasonable amount of time, you probably need to re-coat with another carefully mixed batch in a warm setting. That should do it.

Joe Douglas

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.btas.verizon.net)
Date: July 23, 2008 10:22PM

If you are using TM lite. it will take longer to set up and dry.

Posted by: Bruce Robb (---.fai.dsl.dynamic.acsalaska.net)
Date: July 23, 2008 10:22PM

Maybe it is a cool weather thing- here in North Pole, Alaska, it takes forever during the winter but is only taking about 1/2 as long this summer. About the same length of time as Flexcoat. The thin stuff takes even longer than the thicker build.

Pesco Ergo Sum

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 23, 2008 10:35PM

Humidity will have no effect on your epoxy, drying time or otherwise.

For every 20F reduction in temperature from about 70F you double the required set and cure time. So if you're working at around room temperature, you can toss that one out too.

If you are experiencing tacky or non "dry" finish after several days, you've measured or mixed the finish improperly - count on it.

Posted by: kevin knox (---.direcpc.com)
Date: July 23, 2008 11:25PM

Duane Richards (DR) Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What did you use to mix it with? Tell me something
> flat and not round, if it's round you have your
> answer: not mixed well. TM regular build is the
> fastest setting hardest 2 part finish I've tried,
> one thing it doesn't do is take long to
> dry....something is wrong:
>
> poorly mixed
> wrong ratio
> same part used twice = missing hardner or missing
> finish
>
> DR

Hank,
It has to do with how molicules from part A and B are introduced to each other. When a round instrument is used, the molicules travel around the mixing instrument and do not properly collide and interact. When a flat instrument is used, the molicules are "mashed" against each other and interact correctly. Its not easy to explain, but most of the epoxy companies recommend flat spatula mixing.

Hope this helps. Im not a molecular engineer so I don't have all the confusing lingo for you!!!

Kevin

Posted by: Fran Park (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: July 24, 2008 12:06AM

I'm going to chime in on Threadmaster. I have never tried the Lite, but I have used several bottles of regular TM, and have had zero failures of any kind. A dozen guys have told you the same thing. What I really wanted to add is that I am not a proponent of putting a new coat of finish over the mushy one. I believe you still will have mush underneath. I built a SCIII crankbait rod (with a different product) and the wraps never set up properly, even with a second coat. I ended up taking the guides off and rewrapping the whole rod (with TM).

Maybe some other builders have had good success applying finish over the uncured first coat, but I'll never do it again. Fortunately, up to this point it has never been an issue again. Thank you, Andy.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 24, 2008 12:49AM

I've never had TM regular take a long time to dry although TM Lite does take a long time. Don't know about the flat/round thing but if it has to be flat, why do the electric epoxy mixers work so well when they use round ball bearings in a round cup???

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Chris Beverley (218.185.73.---)
Date: July 24, 2008 12:51AM

Here is Australia, I have used Threadmaster on 40 degree days and on 10 degree days all with various humidities. I have had varying cure times but never longer than 3 hours for the initial set up and it is always cured within 24 hours.

Date: July 24, 2008 01:45AM

I used the TM lite, and did use a round device. I didn't hink the humidity had anyhting to do with it-I would think ambient temp would have n effect.

Don't get me wrong guys, I love the stuff and the clarity is second to none. I also may have exagerated a bit on drying time-it was a bit tacky after about 12 hours.

Thanks for the great input you guys, and I learn something everytime I visit you guys. Time for me to get a subscription to RB!

Paul

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.client.stsn.net)
Date: July 24, 2008 01:49AM

TM Lite takes about twice as long to dry (and cure) as TM regular, but not unduly so. Several hours, or so. It is temperature sensitive, i.e., if it's colder it'll take longer to dry. But not moreso than any other brands.

I bet you mixed it incorrectly, is all i.e., too much of one half vs the other.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.prtel.com)
Date: July 24, 2008 07:18AM

I use regular TM. My drying box is usually at a minimum of 90°. Epoxy is firm enough to apply decals over in just over 3 hours. I have NEVER had a problem with TM. Hot and humid summer or cold and dry winter. And MN has the extremes of both.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Mark Ganrude (---.odec.com)
Date: July 24, 2008 08:28AM

Fran Park Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm going to chime in on Threadmaster. I have
> never tried the Lite, but I have used several
> bottles of regular TM, and have had zero failures
> of any kind. A dozen guys have told you the same
> thing. What I really wanted to add is that I am
> not a proponent of putting a new coat of finish
> over the mushy one. I believe you still will have
> mush underneath. I built a SCIII crankbait rod
> (with a different product) and the wraps never set
> up properly, even with a second coat. I ended up
> taking the guides off and rewrapping the whole rod
> (with TM).
>
> Maybe some other builders have had good success
> applying finish over the uncured first coat, but
> I'll never do it again. Fortunately, up to this
> point it has never been an issue again. Thank you,
> Andy.

Andy, I suspect in your case perhaps the first batch the mix ratio may have been way off. Typically I have had on or two occassions where the first coat didn't quite set up as fast as normal, if it's almost "right" applying a second coat over the top shouldn't be an issue, but of course that takes an educated guess. If the first coat won;t set up at all- there is alikelihood that someone doubled up on one of the ingredients and left one out (either part A or B) and of course this will never harden and should not be coated over, it would have to be removed in that case.

My typical drying times for TM regular are about three hours, and up to six hours for TM lite, tho in both cases the finish may remain a bit tacky for 12 hrs. or so, maybe up to 24 with the TM lite.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2008 08:31AM by Mark Ganrude.

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.nt.interNORTH.net)
Date: July 24, 2008 01:21PM

Paul
I'm at the same latitude as you and TM lite takes a lot longer to cure for me also. I will usually put 1 coat of lite on and follow 24 hours later with a coat of regular.
On another note, I have almost finished my 15' Raven (just have the weave to finish and epoxy to apply)

P.S. I'll see you in 38 days :)
I'll be in town on the 1st of September, staying at the Ramada on E 3rd and then heading south on the 2nd.

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Date: July 24, 2008 09:52PM

Sounds good Dave, LETS GO FISHING!!!

PAUL

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster