I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Any pink surf blanks out there?
Posted by: Mark Ganrude (---.odec.com)
Date: July 23, 2008 09:40AM

I know I have seen some on the lighter side, but I have a customer requesting a build on a pink blank for his wife.

Looking for something in the 9' 1-3 oz. rating range for some light surf fishing.

Thanks,

Mark

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2008 09:41AM by Mark Ganrude.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Any pink surf blanks out there?
Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.phlapafg.covad.net)
Date: July 23, 2008 10:16AM

There's a company near me (they're not a sponsor, so I don't want to give a link, but if you want it, email me at christophergarrity-at-hotmail.com) that sells custom rods targeted at women (I suspect they're "semi-custom," but that's just my hunch, and is off-topic anyway). I have no idea where they get their blanks, but they have a wide variety of pink blanks for the ladies. I don't know whether they'll sell you a blank, but it's worth a shot.

Other than that, I have no idea. Mudhole sells some pink blanks, but none, as far as I can tell, in a 9-foot length. Maybe someone else here will be able to help you out.

Posted by: Scott Parsons (205.244.119.---)
Date: July 23, 2008 10:46AM

I'm sure if you want to wait alittle while that CTS will paint one that color. They have a very pretty pink rod. I have build a few of them and they look great. Get the blank from Fishsticks4u

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: July 23, 2008 11:16AM

I have a 9 ft Perigee rod my 5 ft 2 in wife uses quite a bit, the PSB1081M. It's a G 1000 30 lb blank and can be had from Lamiglas in pink or any other color at little or no extra charge.

Posted by: Larry Grimm (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 23, 2008 11:42AM

Pink paint works for me, I've done a few pink rods, and all I did was paint them, surf , conventional whatever. There are many pinks to choose from to! Or you can do like my friend did he went to a body shop and had the blank shot profesionaly, it was not cheap either, but it came out real nice, with clear coat and all! I also use a UV protectant clear coat on most all my paint jobs. Its not to hard just start at the top and work down, about two ,three thin coats you're good to go.
GOOD LUCK & GOOD FISHING Larry

Date: July 23, 2008 12:13PM

Thanks for the replies.

Chris- email sent.

I will be going by FS4U soon and will see what Robert or Ray have to say on the issue. This customer is looking for a budget blank, so CTS may be out of their range, but I'll have to check to be sure.

Thanks again.

Mark

Posted by: Denis Brown (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 24, 2008 03:16AM

If you don't find a blank in pink to your ( or your customer's ) liking and decide to paint or have a blank of your choice painted ............. get it flash coated white first and then the pink to lift the pink colour, otherwise it can end up rather dull pink and a lot of overcoats are required to get a nice "ladies" pink.
Life is full of compromises but rod length & action for the duty required is the first priority, colour is an optional extra.
if painting is a one-off exercise for you - a professional job by an auto spray shop in base colour & 2-pack urethane is a good investment
As has been said in the forum many times before ................nothing beats urethane finishes in the durability stakes, for both impact & abrasion resistance.
DenisB

Date: July 24, 2008 08:52AM

Thanks Dennis, I had considered that if I can't find one pink it would be easier to get a good pink by starting out with a white base coat, may go the route you suggest (auto spray shop) as I don't wnat to attempt a paint job at this point, (not set up for it) , and not about to pick up a can of spray paint at the the hardware store -LOL..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster