I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

balanceing a split grip
Posted by: Richard Fleming (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: July 22, 2008 11:10PM

i read that a split grip wasn't a well balanced rod and one builder suggested to take some tungsten powder and mix it with epoxy and pour it inside the rod blank before you put the butt cap on. that would help the balance..................It said that it would make an overall heavier rod, but it would be like using a balancer ...........it adds weight but makes it more balanced and makes it feel lighter..
what do you guys think of doing this to a split grip................

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: balanceing a split grip
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 22, 2008 11:24PM

I build a lot of split grip rods. Some of them I balance with weight in the butt end, and many of them are balanced by reducing as much weight a possible on the other end of the rod. But the Statement that “a split grip wasn't a well balanced rod" is nonsense.

Posted by: Chris Davis (216.186.210.---)
Date: July 23, 2008 12:05AM

Richard-Lots of different views on the subject. I wouldn't recommend adding weight except as a last resort. Before you glue anything up permanently-figure a way to test it with and without added weight after everything else is assembled and go with whichever way you like best. Rods used for different techniques may work better for you built differently. Use the search feature and you'll see lots of discussion on the subject.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: July 23, 2008 12:05AM

Check out RodMaker Vol 6 #6 - lead headline is "Rod Balancing Basics"

It reviews basic balancing, and then specific articles on fly rods and reels and bass rods.

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: July 23, 2008 09:33AM

Some of my split grip rods may not balance perfectly but while using the lightest and least amount of guides help, I also position the front grip/reelseat so that the end of the rear grip fits into the underside of my forearm just in front of my elbow. This helps to eliminate wrist fatigue.

Posted by: Anthony Robertson (146.229.128.---)
Date: July 23, 2008 11:00AM

I builId almost all bass rods and almost never purposely balance a casting rod. I find that most all of them balance right in front of the reel regardless.

I think the only rods that need any kind of balance are those used for still baits like soft plastics and jigs. It doesn't make sense to balance moving bait rods.

I like spinning rods to be a bit tip heavy, but most of the ones I build are used for shakeyheads and the like.

Anthony
AKRods

Posted by: Lance Lapeyrouse (70.151.77.---)
Date: July 23, 2008 11:01AM

it is my belief that the placement of the reel seat is what determines balance. adding weights to a butt end is just silly. your making a rod so much heavier when you just spent so much time trying to make it lighter. kind of defeats the purpose. my rods may not be perfectly balanced, but to the average fisherman they are. it all has to do with how far up (or down) i place the reel seat.

Date: July 23, 2008 11:22AM

Anthony;
Just curious; Why do you prefer your spinning rods to be a bit tip heavy?

Date: July 23, 2008 11:23AM

I think the length of grip is more important than balance, and I will usually only move a reel seat maybe 1/2" either way if I need to change point of balance.

Anthony
AKRods

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 23, 2008 01:18PM

Richard.
A very good way to balance a blank is to use lead tape on the "outside of the butt.
You can use 1/2 inch wide tape which will nicely fit under a butt cap.
By wrapping the tape on the Outside of the blank, you can get the required balance weight in the very extreme end of the butt; where the minimum weight will give you the maximum balancing leverage effect.
In many cases, 1/4 - 1/2 oz of weight is plenty to achieve the required balance.

If you do some before and after testing, you can generally get experience on the amount of weight required on a "bare" blank, before adding any components. That way, you can balance the "blank" add components and finish as desired and end up with a perfectly balanced rod/reel, with no unsightly butt caps or unneeded weight stuffed up the blank where it does noting for balance except to add wieight to the rod.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 23, 2008 01:21PM

p.s.
Here is an example of the lead tape of which I speak:

[]

Note: This tape is also commonly used to balance golf clubs and other equipment as well.
It is adhesive backed so it is simply wrapped on like masking tape and then the rod is finished.

Take care
Roger

Date: July 23, 2008 01:25PM

I think they make for more accurate casts. It is only a little forward of neutral though. I also like a bit tip heavy with still lure rods to keep the rod slightly below neutral to make for better hooksets.

It is all up to the customer though. I try to get as much information out of them to get what they want.

Anthony
AKRods

Date: July 23, 2008 02:05PM

Anthony;
Thank you for the response. Gives me something to think about, not sure if I agree or disagree, actually never considered a rods slight - or + balance effecting hook sets.

I've always tried to build my slack line technique rods tip light to increase bite detection.

Date: July 23, 2008 03:18PM

It just keeps the rod tip down. The effect in the hands is so slight I doubt it makes real difference either way. I am only talking about a couple of inches in front of the reel seat at most.

AKRods

Posted by: Perrie Thomas (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 23, 2008 09:42PM

yeah im with Anthony on this one..my ultra light spin rods are all balanced with no alterations or JUST slighly weight forward with a split grip design..as the majority of work done with them in tip down and twitch pull drag or whatever position, the balance to weight forward make for a much more comfortable rod in the hand..

HOTRODS - Perrie Thomas Custom Rods
[www.perrieshotrods.com]

Posted by: Richard Fleming (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: July 24, 2008 06:12PM

i want to thank all you guys for all the helpful information and tips on how i can do my rod. i really appreciate it............i will post a few photo's of the rod or rod's i build....thanks to Mark for the tutorial on posting photo's.
Richard

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2008 06:17PM by Richard Fleming.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster