I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NEW Grizzly Lathes
Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.)
Date: July 22, 2008 05:52PM

I see that Grizzly has four new small mini lathes listed. The least expensive one is a 10x18 that looks IDENTICAL to the JET mini lathe. Has anyone here seen one or better yet, does anyone here own one? At just $169 if it's the same or as good as the Jet it seems hard to beat and I have a card to get free shipping on it. Anyone have idea if this is a good machine? Thanks for any responses.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NEW Grizzly Lathes
Posted by: John Britt (---.97-97.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 23, 2008 08:45AM

Peter check and see if the head stock has a morse taper or a fixed drive live rolling center, i noticed the next model up it says MT2 while the one you mentioned doesn't
John

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: July 23, 2008 10:10AM

Peter, your email is hidden.

The lathe your looking at will more than suffice for doing the smaller and simpler wood turnings you think your going to do now, but as many here can tell you wood turning becomes as much of a addiction as rod building.

You'll start out and say this is cool then you'll say if I can do this, but I can't because my lathe can't.

The lathe your looking at, has MT2 both ends and the head stock is 1X8 TPI shaft. I didn't see any bed extensions or any other "GOODIES" to go along with the lathe.

I have a Jet mini with bed extension and some times I wish I had even a bigger lathe.

For versatility I just bought a metal lathe and have all ready wish I had bought a bigger one, but will make do with this one for now.

Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.)
Date: July 23, 2008 10:56AM

I called and they said MT#2.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 23, 2008 11:21AM

For me the main drawback would be the availability of an extension bed. I have a Turncrafter Pro (Penn State) and I couldn't do most of the things that I like to do without it. If I have a 10" piece of stock, I bore it out and place on mandrel to turn. A chuck in the headstock and a drill chuck in the tail stock, the 10" piece of stock and a drill bit won't fit without an extension bed. I realize that it's NOT absolutely necessary but it makes life a LOT easier for me. Like you, I just wanted to turn some grips but soon found that turning is very addictive and a lot of fun. Another thing is that (again, not absolutely necessary) I was able to add a Variable speed conversion kit (made to fit, Turncrafter, Jet, Delta, etc) later to my lathe.

Considering that the cost of the lathe itself is just a small part of the things that you will need (tools, mandrels,chucks, sharpening system, etc) you might want to spend a little more and avoid future disappointment. . Not trying to talk you out of anything, just pointing out some things that you might want to consider

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 23, 2008 11:47AM

I would suspect that the Jet bed extension will fit it. But you should do your homework and check carefully to make sure.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 23, 2008 01:56PM

I didn't even think of that! Good idea, Tom.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.client.stsn.net)
Date: July 24, 2008 02:19AM

Get the Jet. That way there's no question about bed extensions, and other goodies when you get ready for them. Yes, it's more money, especially if you get one with VS. But trust me, it's worth every penny.

Grizzly makes good stuff at the higher end of their line. If you like the Grizzly over the Jet for price along, comparing mode-to-model, then don;t be afraid to get the Grizzly. But go for at least one or two mdels up from the one you're looking for, and make really sure you identify a supplier who can get you the goodies later, without a hassle.

You will be amazed - and super pleased - with the things you can do once you get one.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster