I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Split Grip
Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: July 22, 2008 02:57PM

Duane,
I do not think that the important issue is whether or not the fisherman can feel the weight difference. In fact, I think that I would probably agree with you that most fishermen could not feel the difference between your epoxy ramp and a fore cork. But I think that less weight (mass) is always better because of the affect on rod sensitivity and I think that this the fisherman will sense.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: July 22, 2008 04:46PM

Well Emory, I agree with one point, and that one is the fact that no fisherman will ever feel any weight difference between the epoxy and the cork forgrip.

This thread is long enough already and I'm leaving that "S" word you have stuck in TWO posts alone! :-)

DR

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 22, 2008 05:38PM

Emory;
Your comment about “Epoxy is no more comfortable than many other materials”
Is just your subjective opinion and has no basis of truth.

My subjective opinion is that Epoxy is much more comfortable then some other materials. It is the sole reason I use it to secure my reels to Tenn. Style handles.

I don’t want to feel the metal parts and raise parts the sharp edges, and seam or thread molds from reel seats. Nor do I want to feel the stickiness of taping them on.

And so far anyone who has tried one of my epoxied on reels has yet to disagree with my subjective opinion.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: July 22, 2008 05:59PM

Steve,
This discussion is getting ridiculous.
I said that epoxy is no more comfortable than MANY other MATERIALS and I will stand by that.
Yes, comfort or comfortable is subjective but your comfort is no less subjective than my comfort. And sharp edges, seams, and thread molds are not properties of materials. They are properties of the forms that the materials are in.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 22, 2008 09:09PM

Personally, I think that the split grip is just an "in-thing".

I have built a lot of split grip rods and have fished with them as well.
Generally speaking, I don't like them.

I much prefer the feel of a great cork grip that is correctly shaped to fit your hand.

Many times, when you are just kicking back, it is nice to be able to grab the rod near the butt - rather than the reel seat. With a full grip - no problem. With a split grip - not so good.
As far as no fore grip - In general, it is simply not as attractive as a nice shaped fore grip. If you want to feel the blank, simply make the shaped grip short.

If you like the split grip - go for it - you will certainly save money on cork.
With respect to saving weight - I really don't think so - if you want a balanced rod.
Sure you can go with a split grip and have a rod that is lighter. But then many fisherman like to have a balanced rod, so they add a weighted butt cap and put the weight back on the rod.

The customer is always right. So, if a split grip is desired - I will build it and the customer will be happy.
However, if the customer wants a full grip - I certainly won't try to talk him out of it.

Also, if there is any likelihood that the rod will be used in a rod holder, the split grips in general really don't work well at all. Simply too many ways for most rod holders to be banging against the bare blank, and marking up the blank, and finish.

Take care
REW

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: July 22, 2008 09:32PM

I'd agree with this: "any likelihood that the rod will be used in a rod holder, the split grips in general really don't work well at all. " - look at Bill's latest repair job! (granted, there were some more factors at work there) BUt they don't sit as well in MOST rod holders. I have a rod holder I use for static testing that the split grips sit pretty nicely in.

I also agree it's an "in thing". It's cool. It's different. Some guys like that. But it also has some real advantages. I too have customers who insist still on a full grip and they pay more for that grip. Their choice.

I shape my split grips to conform to the palm of the hand, so that can be achieved as well with a split. One feature I like to include is a palm swell on a split grip. This is widely popular in custom and competition shotguns (granted, different grip style) do to comfort and control, but I did a little research on handle ergonomics and one key part is that the handle should conform to the palm of the hand.

There are several advantages split grips have over a traditional grip. Those have been hashed over time and again. One thing I haven't seen said, borrowing from Emory's epoxy stance, is there is less epoxy used in the handle construction so you are not saving weight in grip material alone. Another advantage is the butt of a split grip. I believe Rich Forhan talks about the value the split grip butt gives in proper casting (forgive and correct me if I'm wrong about this Rich - trying to go off memory).

Posted by: Joey Yeager (---.twinvalley.oct.net)
Date: July 22, 2008 10:25PM

Ditto to Roger and Alex. I like the split grip, my tourny rods have smaller ones than most. Some fellow tourny anglers I build for hate them! So I build them they way they like them. Said they don't like the way they look and they don't feel right. I like the way they look and the way they feel. All in the angler. Oh, and back to the original post, they epoxy ramp is very nice, and just using a rubber or vinyl winding check that fits right is simple and slick.

Gone Fishin

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 23, 2008 09:31AM

The split grip/no foregrip design is turning up on many rod types, but it was originally aimed at the bass tournament fishing crowd and they really don't use rod holders nor foregrips. Within that context the design makes perfect sense. Outside of it, you just have to determine if it's going to work for your type of rod and your type of fishing.

Posted by: Anthony Robertson (146.229.128.---)
Date: July 23, 2008 10:04AM

The only bass anglers I see using foregrips for anything are the old skool round reel users that hold the foregrip and the line with their left hand while reeling with their right. Like Tuberville. He does that.

Anthony
AKRods

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.physics.kent.edu)
Date: July 23, 2008 10:46AM

I have been using the Batson exposed blank reel seat. I use a rubber o ring (snug fitting) stuck just inside the reel seat. Then I apply the decal and thread wrap just in front of the seat. The first few threads get tucked in the gap between the ring and the blank, the way Steve describes doing a thread wrap in front of one of his bushings. When I apply the epoxy to the wrap, it climbs up the o ring just up to the ID of the reel seat. It makes for a mini epoxy ramp, giving the front end a nice finished look, in my opinion.

Joe

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 23, 2008 12:55PM

Alex,
I did a few split grips with a "different" shape to the back grip.
If you look at most of the split grips, you find that the grip starts at the back of the reel, and then it may or may not have a palm bulge, then tapers down toward the blank.
You might consider this:
Rather than tapering the back of the split grip down toward the blank, increase the size of the grip toward the back of the butt.

The difference by shaping the grip like this is to cradle your hand in the grip. Give it a try on a test rod and let us know what you think.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 23, 2008 01:59PM

Roger, I like that idea!!! Do you have a pic you could post??

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: July 23, 2008 03:04PM

Roger -

I've done just that. The expandable foam is a huge money saver for experimenting with turning grip styles!

My favorite yet has the handle portion taper evenly with the reel seat, a palm swell that goes into a taper with a flare back out. Very solid, comfortable grip. I also found even going to 3.5" or 4" compared to 3" gave a much more comfortable grip as well.

It think it resembles a miniature full wells grip with the end cut off where the reel seat joins.

Posted by: Anthony Robertson (146.229.128.---)
Date: July 23, 2008 03:21PM

I have made some frog rods with a reverse taper front grip. I did it as another way to not throw the rod in the water on those hurling casts. I'll post a pic.

Anthony
AKRods

Posted by: justin keithley (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: July 23, 2008 06:57PM

i stretch a 7/16" or 1/2" vinyl winding check right up to the face of the reel seat (Fuji ACSM). the checks are the exact size of the front of the reel seat. clean, cheap and easy.

Regards,
-Justin

Posted by: Richard Fleming (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: July 24, 2008 06:14PM

gosh..........i didn't mean to ruffle any feathers.....lol. i really do appreciate all the helpful information along with the pros and cons concerning this topic. you guys are the best.
Thank You
Richard

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 24, 2008 09:28PM

Richard - feathers are used as ornaments on custom rods, stuffing for pillows and certainly have a tendency to fly on internet boards. I am really curious at this point. Was your initial post on this thread made concerning the building of bass rods or rods generally for six sixteen casting reel seats? If so you are headed in the correct direction. Build them like the customer wants, light, sensitive, functional and comfortable Many times the feathers flying are no worse than the crowing of the rooster!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster