I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tips on finishing
Posted by: Chad Rivers (---.sip.clt.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 21, 2008 12:44PM

I am getting close to appling finish to my first rod. With all of the questions, information, problems (fisheyes, waviness, bubbles, hand-turning vs drying motor, spatula vs brush, man this list could go on forever) regarding finishing is just about enough scare a feller.

So, what is the best tip I need to know before I start doing my finishing. The finish I have is Flex Coat High Build. All of the thread I used on the rod is Madiera.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tips on finishing
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 21, 2008 01:45PM

Buy a copy of RodMaker, Volume 9 #1. No less than 2 of the largest epoxy suppliers have personally thanked me for writing and publishing that information. They feel it addresses the most common user problems with epoxy wrap finish. I could not possibly condense that information and the photos into a simple message board post.

In the meantime, follow the measuring and mixing instructions. Mix no less than 3ccs of each part and mix slowly for a full 3 minutes. Limit your "brushing" to application and move along briskly - you can come back and fill in dry or sparse areas later. You do not want to spend 5 minutes of your limited working pot life on trying to perfect a single guide wrap. The epoxy will do that for you. Move along, get them all coated and them come back and take your time dealing with any small imperfections.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 21, 2008 02:00PM

Make sure that the center line of the rod is as level as possible. With Madiera, you need to use a couple coats of CP to ensure no fisheyes/epoxy rejection. Don't put finish on to heavy. There is a good article in the library above

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Joe Douglas (---.static.vsat-systems.net)
Date: July 21, 2008 02:14PM

All of the above is great advice. The easist thing to do is to follow all the directions and the voices of experience. The hardest thing to do is to leave it alone. Once you get it in your head that the epoxy will work for you and you can walk away and leave it alone, your finish work will improve. Pretty much anything you do beyond following the directions for mixing and applying and drying will cause you problems.

Joe Douglas

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: July 21, 2008 03:25PM

My way:

mix equal amounts SLOWLY WITH A FLAT INSTRUMENT that folds the finish together without creating bubbles: I go 60 turns to the left, 60 to the right and 25 back to the left -works everytime

pour out mixed finish onto aluminum foil before using

use a stiff bristle brush

I like to use 2 coats, and I put the 1st coat on THIN, most of the time you can see the thread still. 2nd coat covers the thread completely.

DR

Posted by: Scott Kelly (---.west.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 21, 2008 08:32PM

I mix my epoxy in a small cup and transfer it to the bottom of a full soda can. I first warm the can in warm tap water for a few minutes, to a temperature that I approximate to be around 75-80'F. I then thoroughly dry the can and wipe the bottom well with alcohol.

Beer cans should NOT be used for this. Seeing an upside down beer can will only cause you to want to upright it and drink it. In that case you will have only spilt your epoxy and drank a warm beer.

Posted by: Harold Krause (---.satx.res.rr.com)
Date: July 21, 2008 08:57PM

I being somewhat new (as you sound) to this hobby, I would like to answer everyones responses without being rude...just go for it!!! You already have had the best responses and place to find info. you need. Each to thier own at a cetain point. I'm working on my 8th rod in less than a year since my first one. I laugh at, yet love to fish my first build. It looks like CRAP!!! At least I have somthing to compare too.

Posted by: Harold Dean (207.194.36.---)
Date: July 21, 2008 10:19PM

A little tip I picked up along the way.

If you have a few bubbles in your mix when you pour it onto the foil. Take a regular soda straw, and just blow air onto the top of your mix. The bubbles immediately disappear. I also do this on the blank if I notice a small bubble.

Also, use the least amount of epoxy you can to get everything covered. Less is better.

Posted by: Bill Giokas (---.bfd-dynamic.gis.net)
Date: July 22, 2008 06:07AM

Invest in the Pac Bay mixer. It will solve your mixing problems. Warming the epoxy and correct measurements are the key to success. I used to hand mix until I got the mixer. The mixer is a wonderful tool. Bill

Date: July 22, 2008 09:03AM

Thanks for the tips guys and keep them coming. Ya'll are definitely a wealth of information and I greatly appreciate your help. You all amaze me with the work you do.

Tom, I do plan on purchasing the volume of Rodmaker magizine that you mentioned. I am also going to subscribe after work picks up a little. Kinda trying to stretch a dollar right now.

Also, Is there a guideline as to how much finish I should mix up for a certain amount of work? Does that even make sense? I know you should mix at least 3cc of each part but how far will 6cc of finish get me.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 22, 2008 09:43AM

6cc's of epoxy will easily coat all the wraps on just about any normal freshwater rod and most lighter, 9' and under saltwater rods.

If you have a lot of buttwrapping or additional thread work to coat, I'd recommend doing it in 2 stages. Mix up a batch for all the guide wraps and then once you have that set, mix up a batch for your butt wrap and inscription area. You'll find it much easier to work from 2 batches in this manner than trying to rush too much and get a truly large amount of varied wraps and areas covered with the same batch.

Date: July 22, 2008 12:11PM

Thanks Tom.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: July 22, 2008 10:27PM

Hint when using a measuring cup measure your hardener first, add resin. Reason being to much hardener and the stuff well never set up, a little extra resin, the mix well cure and set up. Too much resin well speed up cure time. You well notice that when it is hot 85 to 90 you have a shorter working time . I like my temp. to be around 70 to 80. To feel comfortable put some wraps on a old rod or dowel and practice.
Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster