I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

First surf rod build - questions on guide placement
Posted by: Eddie Taylor (---.bcbsnc.com)
Date: July 21, 2008 09:13AM

Greetings,
My first post. Have been lurking for over a year now and have learned so much from this site. A tremendous resource.

I bought a kit to build a 9' surf rod thinking it would be easier to learn to build because it might have some basic directions for the setup. All I got (which is OK - no complaint) were the raw components - which is fine but has left me with some questions. I figured out how to size/place the grips/reel-seat for my arm length, but am now scratching my head trying to place the guides. It came with (6) guides (40, 30, 20, 16, 12 10) and a 10 tip-top. I did a very basic layout, deflection test, adjusted then went out and did some test casts. Went pretty well - need to learn how to throw a surf rod. Feels great throwing and I really like the blank.

I need to move the collector out. Started at 24" but the line coils were *really* slamming the guide - no line slap - so I moved out to 30" and adjusted the other guides. I still had the line coils slamming into the quide - great thing about this surf caster I can cast then hold the rod off to the side and see how line flows through the guides. Doing research last night looks like I can go anywhere from 36" to 50" out on the collector. With this in mind, and seeing how the line was slamming the ring I could probably go to 40", maybe?

I am just curious what others think on this and what the starting recommendations would be for guide placement. Looking back I should have taken the advice of a rod builder I met in Wilmington, NC, and just ordered my components insead of a kit - 'cuz then I would have order the fuji concept guides that I am use to, and followed Tom's method in his book for locating the choke guide and working back from there.

BTW, I am using a Cabela's Salt Striker 4000 reel.

Thanks,
Eddie

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First surf rod build - questions on guide placement
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 21, 2008 09:21AM

Right, you don't really have the right guides for using the New Guide Concept. Too many large guides.

You also don't want to move past about 30 to 33 inches beyond the face of the reel for your butt guide. But you can make this stuff work enough.

What size reel are you using and what size and type line?

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.coi.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 21, 2008 10:20AM

All my older surf rod builds for the largest Penn surf spinning reels have large size 50 hardloy guides placed at 32" from the forward edge of the reel seat. I wasn't able to make anything better or worse by moving them up or back from that point. I think with a very large reel and heavy line you are always going to just have some line slap on the guide ring face. The main thing is not to have any against the rod blank if you can help it.

Posted by: Eddie Taylor (---.bcbsnc.com)
Date: July 21, 2008 10:37AM

Thanks, guys.

I am using 20 LB saltwater mono. The reel is a spinning Salt Striker 4000 - assume a 40 mm reel face but will measure.

I am really considering going ahead and ordering/using the fuji guides. I finished the top wrap last night for a tiger wrap. Practicing, and my second, that really looks nice so I want to do this rod up right.

Thanks again,
Eddie

Posted by: Bruce Wetzel (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: July 21, 2008 11:31AM

I think your problem might be the 20lb mono. That's pretty heavy stuff for that size reel. I'd drop down to 15lb mono, or consider braid. I think this might solve your problem.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 21, 2008 12:01PM

Eddie,
Really no problem, except if you are going to use 20 lb mono, increase the size of the first guide from 40 to 50. The increased guide size will really help to eliminate the rod slap. Then, simply place it at about 30 inches, place the others at appropriate spots and you will be good to go. You might find that you actually want to use the 40 sized guide as well to help tame down the line coils up the rod.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.colc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: July 21, 2008 12:32PM

to learn to chuck have a look at one of my aquaintances barny talking to terry carrol(zziplex terry carrol) watch his little video gives you an adequate casting style for up to about 8 ounzes

[www.totalseamagazine.com]

Allen

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster