I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Joe Brooks
Posted by: Bill Beall (---.always-online.wispnet.net)
Date: July 18, 2008 08:38AM

This is posted at the suggestion of Mr. Kirkman.  It contains the substance of an email exchange between us.  My apologies in advance for any errors introduced by my admittedly shaky memory.

Hi Tom, I've been thinking about sending this to you since the subject come up on  the RBO.  I've been a little troubled about the possibility that some in rodbuilding, presumably fishermen, don't know about Joe Brooks, one of the Twentieth Century's giants in our sport.  Your idea to contact Lefty Kreh for info on Joe is an excellent one.  I'd bet that Lefty will say that Joe made his career possible.  I doubt that anyone alive knows more about Joe Brooks than Lefty Kreh.  I started fly fishing in 1948 at the age of 10, so I grew up reading and learning from some of the greats in the sport, e.g. Wulff, Bergman, Fox, Marinaro, McClane, Schwiebert, et al. An argument could be made that Brooks towered over them all. Well known through his books and magazine work as an expert on trout and salmon, he was widely regarded as the father of saltwater fly fishing. He was probably the first to target and catch a bonefish on a fly. He was certainly the first to write of it and through his writings he almost single-handedly created the fly fishing industry of the Florida Keys (some Keys locals might disagree, but they would acknowledge Brooks' influence.)
A few of my recollections from Joe's and Lefty's writings:
Joe was Lefty's mentor. He took Lefty to Tochterman's Tackle in Baltimore to buy Lefty's first fly rod and taught him to flycast. He helped Lefty get started as an outdoor writer.
Joe was outdoor editor of the Miami Herald and director of the Metro Miami Fishing Tournament for many years. He was succeeded in this position by Lefty. Joe succeeded Ray Bergman as fishing editor of Outdoor Life magazine in 1967 and continued in that post until his death.
Joe was one of the founders of the Brotherhood of the Jungle Cock on Big Hunting Creek, Thurmont, MD. He generously donated his time as an instructor for this organization throughout his life, introducing inner city kids to the wonders of fly fishing for trout, casting, fly tying and streamcraft. Many have written about Brooks' warm and generous nature. He was a man I wish I had known.
Joe Brooks died of a heart attack in 1972 while wading the Big Hole River in Montana for trout. He was in his early sixties.

I feel a little sadness that such an important person in our sport should be poorly remembered only 36 years after his death. I doubt that in 1970 there was a fly fisher anywhere in the world who did not know who Joe Brooks was.

Regards, Bill Beall

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Joe Brooks
Posted by: Richard Hahn (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: July 18, 2008 10:24AM

Bill ..... Thanks for sharing this. I too grew up with the tales from Joe Brooks and I took my son to a couple of the Brotherhood of the Junglecock fishing weekends to learn about flyfishing. It's truly a great organizatiion for kids fishing. Joe Brooks was a God in the pioneer sport fishing days and is not well known today ............ Thanks for sharing

Posted by: Charlie Smoote (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: July 18, 2008 11:55AM

Thanks for remembering Joe Brooks'

I started fly fishing(my first love) as a kid of 12 in 1946 I grew up listening to Joe Brooks and his advice on fly fishing.

I still take the old flyrod off the shelf once in a while and go wade.. Every time that I do, I think of Joe Brooks and his influence on my fishing life.

Who remembers Jason Lucas? Or Homer Circle?

Again; thanks for the memories. C2

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 18, 2008 12:22PM

Homer followed Jason Lucas as the freshwater fishing editor of Sports Afield magazine. That was my favorite fishing publication growing up in the 1960's and early 1970's. Homer's articles taught me a lot.

Jason is gone now but I believe Homer Circle is still alive and kicking.

Now here's another one - Stan Fagerstrom. Ever seen him give a casting demo? Amazing. I'm not sure if he's still around or not.

Posted by: Chris Davis (216.186.210.---)
Date: July 18, 2008 05:05PM

Homer Circle still does some contributing work to Bassmaster Mag. and BASSTIMES

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: July 18, 2008 11:21PM

Stan Fagerstrom as far as I know is still living just south Florence, OR on Silcoos Lake. He dragged me out of the lilly pads on Silver Lake in WA when I was an 8-9 year old kid. I got hung up in the dollar pads near the public ramp when I went in after my first bass that was also hung up in the pads.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: July 19, 2008 02:17AM

I believe spencer is correct on Stan Fagerstrom. I believe he is still around. At least he was when I got hold of him 4 years ago to buy his vidio on casting. If you want to meet amaster caster, try and hook up with stan.
Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster