I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Weaving
Posted by: Drew Lampe (64.139.98.---)
Date: July 16, 2008 05:10AM

Hello,

I am new to weaving. I am building a "protractor style loom" with drop weights. I would like to do color changing weaves, If anyone could point me to any good books or article on weaving, or color changing weaves. And what is the "invisible thread" technique.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Weaving
Posted by: Owen Dare (---.static.dsl.dodo.com.au)
Date: July 16, 2008 07:31AM

G'day Drew,
There's a bunch of reference material available from Acid Rod in the weaving section
[]
You'd be hard pressed to go past Doc Ski's video and/or Jim's book.
Sandy & I both love weaving and would be happy to help if we can.
I've only seen pictures of a protractor style loom.
Maybe some of the "old timers" will chime in on that one.

cheers
Owen Dare
www.@#$%&.com

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: July 16, 2008 07:49AM

Drew, here is my page which contains Jim Upton's book. [northeastrodbuilders.com] This is the only book dedicated to the art of weaving, and it covers it all from start to finish.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (209.96.211.---)
Date: July 16, 2008 04:43PM

There's also the @#$%& software, as well as the Visual Weave software. A bit more than the book but suoper tools once you get the basics down to where you're comfortable with them.

And most of the folks on this BBS will help if we can. Direct email is a good way to get direct answers, and sometimes even arrange a phone call. Don't be shy - we all started from scratch at one time or another.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: joyce (---.static.dsl.dodo.com.au)
Date: July 16, 2008 05:38PM

Hi Drew

As Owen said we are both hooked with weaving and if you need any help just drop us a line or one of the many other people on this forum who weave.

We have both Doc Ski's video and Jim Upton's book and both are great places to start. What got both of us hooked was in fact Doc's Video, we sat and watch and next thing I am on the internet ordering all this stuff to do my first weave, now the sewing room is no more and we now have a rod building room set up for two.

There is an article in the library here which is one reference that will come in handy.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

And if you go to our web sit you will find a few tutorials and we will be adding more at a later date.

[]

Good luck Drew

Posted by: Richard Hahn (199.173.225.---)
Date: July 17, 2008 01:28PM

Drew ....... you may want to not hide your email address in your profile.

I have a hanging weight loom that you speak of and I have information you might want and I know of several people that are using it.

You can email me if you want or if you open your email I will contact you

Any way ....... have fun using it ...... there are some beautiflu weaves that were made on that type loom ........

Thanks
Rick

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster