I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Graphite Rings
Posted by: Richard Fleming (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: July 14, 2008 05:29PM

a friend of mine says these dark rings on his custom built rod are made of graphite? have any of you guys ever used this type of ring ? he said its for added sensitivity.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2008 06:10PM by Tom Kirkman.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Graphite Rings
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: July 14, 2008 05:32PM

Looks like Fuji brick arbor material to me. More sensitive than cork? I'd wouldn't bet on it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2008 05:34PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 14, 2008 05:53PM

One supplier sells 4" graphite like the FC arbors in larger OD's, up to 30mm. Tht whole sensitive thing....................................... argh!!

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 14, 2008 06:11PM

They're rigid foam, not graphite. Lighter and more rigid than cork so should be more sensitive, but in the end with everything said and done in that handle there, if you had all cork, or all foam, I doubt the human hand could difference in sensitivity between the two.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: July 14, 2008 08:04PM

Sorry Flex Coat, I have Fuji on the brain, getting quite a few rebuilds lately on some of the old Fuji hardware, so I've been grubbing around for parts, not one of my favorite things. It surprises me how many ones and twos of things I still have around when I have to look.

Date: July 14, 2008 08:09PM

You were right the first time around, Fuji, also Pac Bay and others, sell the dark colored brick-foam like what you saw in that grip.

Date: July 14, 2008 08:15PM

that was a blank a friend had bought . he was under the impression it was a cork/graphite grip......gosh..........i hate to break the news to him???? should i or should i mind my own business. he just kept telling me it was graphite.

Date: July 14, 2008 09:41PM

It's not graphite, but in that situation you wouldn't want it to be. Solid graphite bushings there would be very heavy. The brick foam is superior in that particular application. There's nothing wrong with his rod, or the grip.

Date: July 14, 2008 10:03PM

thanks guy's and i believe i will just leave it alone. i agree it's a good looking grip. sorry bout the photo...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2008 10:17PM by Richard Fleming.

Date: July 15, 2008 08:23AM

No problem on the photo, just put it/them on the photo page next time. The forum doesn't serve up photos very quickly.

Posted by: Brad Young (75.136.193.---)
Date: July 15, 2008 08:43AM

Richard, Could you post the picture on the photo page so I can see it? I know of alot of rods in my area that have what you are describing. Just wanted to see if it is the same thing.

Date: July 15, 2008 03:55PM

i will try to see if i can figure it out.

Date: July 15, 2008 07:31PM

i guess i may sound stupid but i was hoping it was graphite because i wanted to try some on my next project............sorry guys. thought i was on to something for more sensitivity

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2008 08:19PM by Richard Fleming.

Date: July 15, 2008 08:03PM

Richard,

The weight of solid, large diameter graphite rings in your grip is not going to enhance sensitivity. Nothing wrong with trying it, but I don't think you're going to like it.

I'd much rather experiment with foam core, carbon skinned grips. Lighter and more rigid than cork.

Date: July 15, 2008 08:31PM

thanks Tom. i will certainly take your advise........i am running out of excuses to tell my wife why i need to build a new rod....lol .i thought i had one with thee graphite ring.......... thanks to all you guys for the help and sorry for any confusion about the Graphite....you guys are the best of the best

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster