I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

stuck ferrel
Posted by: shawn storey (---.satx.res.rr.com)
Date: July 13, 2008 01:52PM

i built a 9' 7 wt flyrod and apparently when i was putting the finish coat on it got into the ferrel and now the tip section of the 4 piece rod is stuck fast and i've already ripped 1 of the guides out when i was using it to get a better grip on the rod. anybody know how to get the 2 sections apart without doing more damage to the rod?

oh and the finish coat i was using was threadmaster lite if that helps at all

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: stuck ferrel
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 13, 2008 02:19PM

The ferrule disassembly tool in a recent RodMaker might easily get it apart.

You need to increase your purchase on the blank so you need to fabricate something to grip the blank that is larger in diameter - something that your hand can more easily grasp and apply force to.

Since the blank is slick, and if you didn't get too much epoxy in there. You might be able to "pop" it apart provided you can apply good hand pressure to the blank. That means using something larger so you can grasp it. A slit piece of cork, EVA, band of wide tape, etc.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: July 13, 2008 02:53PM

"Rubber" dish-washing gloves are great to open jars and separate fly rod pieces. Good purchase.
Herb

Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.colc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: July 13, 2008 02:56PM

try one of those jar opening straps OVER a cork band whilst gripping the butt
Hold it as near to the ferrule as possible to prevent shear twist snapping of the tip

Posted by: stan lothamer (---.aubnin.btas.verizon.net)
Date: July 13, 2008 03:40PM

maybe you could apply a little heat to soften the finish since its new .

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: July 13, 2008 05:12PM

I doubt if you applied an epoxy finish that it is very deep in the ferrule. I have had rods brought to me that were jammed together so tight that all of the above mentioned remedies failed until I put them in the deep freeze for 15 to 30 minutes or so. Once they were removed from it gripping and pulling with the help of one of the suggested gripping aids has been successful for me. If you can see the epoxy covering both sections of rod at the ferrule joint I would attempt to remove it or sever it from the male section of the joint to free any bond there.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: fred schoenduby (---.dsl.chic01.pacbell.net)
Date: July 13, 2008 07:16PM

A strange way of doing it but it has worked for me in the past.....I take the rod into the hot tub with me and use a pair of nobby type rubber gloves the carpenters use. "BINGO" Has not failed me yet.

Tight Lines
Tight Wraps
Fishin'Stix by Fred

Posted by: shawn storey (---.satx.res.rr.com)
Date: July 13, 2008 07:55PM

thanks for all the advice guys i managed to get it apart. now i just need to rwrap the guide and ripped of trying to seperate the 2 pieces and it'll be good to go

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster