I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

carbon grip need some advice
Posted by: Terry LaValle (---.ips.paulbunyan.net)
Date: July 13, 2008 12:30PM

For those of you who have done some grips, please poke your heads into the photo area and let me know if I am on track. IS this what I shoudl be seeing? What is my next step(s)?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: carbon grip need some advice
Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.hlrn.qwest.net)
Date: July 13, 2008 12:39PM

Terry,
Keep in mind that I have NOT done any grips with the foam and skins. I did read the article several time through however. As I recall,the skin gets tucked BEFORE applying any covering finish. Thats what the picture you posted tells me as well. But what do I know? I just read the article and haven't made any,as I previously mentioned.
Chuck

Posted by: Bill Lane (---.san.res.rr.com)
Date: July 13, 2008 01:17PM

Terry, That looks great. The reason you tuck the ends in is to get the end reliefs to look good and tight. you achieved that with the shrink wrap! There is no need to tuck anything now. You would just ream it out later anyhow. To cut the ends, I have been turning on the lathe and laying a fine toothed Exacto saw against it. Still turning, sanding the whole thing just into the carbon and then applying finish.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 13, 2008 02:15PM

Terry is working from instructions in the Volume 11 #2 issue - he's using a different technique than the "tuck" method.

All that needs to be done at this point is to part off the ends just beyond the edge of the core. That leaves you with a rounded edge, covered with the carbon skin. The foam will show in the center of the grip but will be covered by a winding check, butt cap or reel seat.

Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.colc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: July 13, 2008 03:01PM

what is the "Skin made from" may i ask as I cant find any info on them

also tom can that spray foam in a can (the stuff used to seal gaps in windows etc) be used for foam cores

Cheers
allen

Date: July 13, 2008 05:02PM

The skin in question here is carbon sleeving.

The stuff in the cans is rather soft and in my opinion does not make a suitable grip core material.

Volume 10 #6 RodMaker has all the details.

Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.colc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: July 13, 2008 05:21PM

kk thanks tom

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 13, 2008 06:24PM

Terry if that grip is used in your demo in August be sure to mount it up on one of the St Croix blue blanks. They should all drool at the appearance and feel of the new grip surfaces you are doing. Thanks for giving all of us a preview - looking good!

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: July 14, 2008 11:04AM

Terry I like idea of a shrink wrap to form the handles. What are you using for a shrink wrap? Is it easy to take off after the epoxy sets? I'm looking forward to seeing you this August, I'd like to see some of the new handles up close. Mark

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 14, 2008 12:12PM

Whats happening in August?

Date: July 14, 2008 02:40PM

RodMaker Volume 11 #1 has the instructions Terry is working from. It's in the Q&A column.

Date: July 14, 2008 02:43PM

Terry is presenting a seminar on foam core, carbon skinned grips. I'm working with him so he can learn the process and how to actually do them.

Posted by: Terry LaValle (---.ips.paulbunyan.net)
Date: July 15, 2008 09:28AM

Mark, the shrink wrap doesn't "form" the handles per say. The forming part is already done pre. What the shring tubing does is "suck" the carbon up against the handle in a fashion such as wearing a sock. Very easy to take off. Very. Simply sear it with a blade and peel like and orange. To filet a fish is harder than removing the shrink tubing sleeve!!!! Isn't that right Tom!

Date: July 15, 2008 09:55AM

Yes, the tubing comes off very easily. You just have to be careful not to cut into the skin when scoring the tubing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster