I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

confused also
Posted by: james gregory (---.propel.com)
Date: July 11, 2008 03:04PM

i have been using a diamond wrap on all my bass rods.was taught after the first initial cross was made you go up on the left and go down on the left,go up on the right and go down on the right,so on and so on.i see some rod builders take 4up and 4 down.does it matter that these 4 do not interlock.please help clarify or direct me to some educational info.as always,am greatful for your proffesional advice.jim.
ps got my first copy of RODMAKER.read it cover to cover 4 times.wish it was 1000 pages long.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: confused also
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 11, 2008 03:29PM

As long as all the threads are of the same color, you can lay more than 1 at a time. The end result is usually a much tighter, neater wrap.

If working with a combination of threads that are different colors, you can't put them all down at the same time or the crossings won't be straight.

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.fsepg.com)
Date: July 11, 2008 03:33PM

It all depends on the effect you want with the wrap. You do not have to do one thread at a time up and down on each side. There are some that will pull up to 8 threads at one time up and down on the pattern. The diamond and chevron are the basic patterns used to do most any other pattern out there. There is no need to have each individual thread cross over itself to lock it in place.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: July 11, 2008 04:35PM

If using multiple threads, be careful not to let them twist around each other. Say 4 threads up - all four should lay parallel to each other and not cross/twist. It's very easy to do if your holding four seperate pieces of thread in one hand. VERY EASY.

That doesn't look so neat and tight. I learned that the hard way.

I'll leave the explanation of how to not let that happen for some of folks here with more expertise in wrapping. I think most have tools they use to wrap multiple threads.

I don't do but a few wraps here and there, so I'm very inexperienced with wraps.

Bill Stevens - I am not wrapping fancy wraps with CP on customer's bass rods (beat him to the punch on this one) - only occasionally to attract attention for a purpose.

Posted by: Mel Shimizu (---.lsanca.btas.verizon.net)
Date: July 11, 2008 04:54PM

Ok, I'll bite. Anyone care to elaborate further on how they manage more than one thread at a time. What tools are used to make the wrapping easier?

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 11, 2008 05:22PM

Mel you will be quite surprised how easy it is to pull multiple bands of thread with fingers only. Try it and you will see how you can easily speed up your work and actually get better results. Cut two pieces of thread and let them hang while cutting to get out the twist. Tape one end of both threads in the same spot at the start of the wrap - now let your hands slide to the far end of the pair of threads and pull slight amount of tension. You will see that the threads will be laying next to each other and really not twisted - just a pair of parrallel threads - continue to hold the constant tension in the pair and rotate the blank with your off hand and guide the pair of threads over the measured crossings. Do this for a few days and then you can easily move to four or six at a time. Then you decide you really want to get big time and make a thread box that can easily hold 12 or more threads and to a whole "fancy wrap ala Jesse Buky" in five minutes. One of the real advantages of pulling multiples is that there are fewer crossings and the packing of bands is a lot easier than packing singles.

AMan that is why I love "Big Bubba Bassers" - no fancy wraps - to them black stealth is the creme de la creme!

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 11, 2008 05:31PM

Double and cut, double and cut. Right there you have 4 threads ready to go. Stroke lightly a few times to remove twist and wrap away.

I've owned various tools designed to help you wrap multiple threads but nearly all had enough shortcomings that I just chose to forego them and use fingers only. I can generally wrap about 8 threads at the same time.

Posted by: james gregory (---.propel.com)
Date: July 11, 2008 05:43PM

Tom,i used the method of 4 threads at once with my hands and it worked.all threads going the same way inside the diamond.looks classy,even if i did it myself.the wraps are tighter,straighter and more uniform.just got through reading your book again.thanks again,jim.

Posted by: Mel Shimizu (---.lsanca.btas.verizon.net)
Date: July 11, 2008 05:44PM

Thanks all. I'll give it a try on the next rod.

Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.colc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: July 11, 2008 06:24PM

two spools of thread on the wrapper use the thumb and forefinger to tension it and if you lay them at a backwards angle (that is the thread comes from the start of the wrap side not the end side then they nine out of ten times lay themselves flat.
doing crosswraps I still only use one thread at a time
practice is all it is

Posted by: James Hicks (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: July 11, 2008 08:02PM

I've only done a few crosswraps but I've been able to pull eight at a time using my fingers; like Bill said, slide your hand out toward the ends of the threads and turn the blank with the free hand while guiding the threads with the other; with constant tension the threads will fall into place. I've posted a pic that demonstrates some mistakes mentioned above including an example of Tom's reference to combination of threads with different colors. I also wrapped in the same direction each pass so the increasing thread count being pulled created a zig zag pattern that made the wrap look like it was rotated counter-clockwise. [www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: July 12, 2008 10:56AM

Another approach altogether involves using narrow ribbon, which is the equivalent of about 8 "A" threads. Just wrap as though it was a strip of multiple threads.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster