I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank recommendations please
Posted by: Herb Knowlton (---.dhcp.trcy.mi.charter.com)
Date: July 11, 2008 01:31PM

I have a friend that wants me to build a "level wind baitcasting rod". The rod will be used primarily for Northern Pike when he visits relatives in Canada. I build mostly fly rods and need suggestions.

I have trigger reel seats that I modify for casting rods. I would appreciate any recommendations on a blank and guides----probably 6' to 6'6".

Thanks,

Herb

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank recommendations please
Posted by: Obed Patty (164.144.248.---)
Date: July 11, 2008 02:52PM

Just an opinion, but depending on the height of the customer, I would be looking at least a ~7' blank.
If he is going to Canada and fishing for Northern Pike, I would suggest getting something like a Muskie rod.
Many sponsors to the left carry Muskie specific blanks in a range of power and action.
Personally, I would get a 7' -8' fast action, but many people like Mod fast action in their muskie rods.
Much will also depend on the technique that the customer will be using and the size and type of lures they will throw
Crankbaits and big inline spinners, I like Mod fast.
Rip baits and topwater, I like fast action.
For smaller baits, like those used in bass fishing, I would suggest a MH rod, but would never go below that.
Find out the preference for action as some people simply do not like fast/xfast actions.
As far as guides, anything that is aluminum oxide/halide/hardloy or better would suffice.
Might want to error on the strong side for the guides rather than weight as this rod may have to do some traveling.....
Also, if he is targeting larger fish, spiral wrapping has some key advantages, but that is another topic.
For me, 7'7" MH/fast spiral wrapped G-Loomis with alconite guides would be perfect for pike and muskie
Mudhole has some Lamiglas Muskie blanks on 50% liquidation right now you might want consider.

Seems like a lot of variables to factor in, but that is why it is a custom rod!
Just the opinion from a newbie builder and avid fisherman

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: July 11, 2008 05:25PM

You should probably find out how they are fishing and how big of fish. When I guided in AK the 7' MH would be the rod of choice fishing spinner baits and spoons in medium cover. The fish ranged from 20-35" so a serious stick was not necessary.

Rod Blank Model # IMB843 Spinner bait/Jig rod
Butt cap: evabc20
Front Cap:
Rear Grip: SG155a-300 and SG300-300 Cork Split grip system
Handle Arbor:
Reel Seat: GTBTG16C-13.5-TC Forecast Exposed spin seat with textured soft finish
Reel Seat Shim
Foregrip: fg25a-250 Cork fore grip
Winding Check: bwc11
Hookeeper: tchks
Tip Top XTCPPZT06R05.5 Alps "RRD" ( Recessed ring design) tip top with Zirconium ring
1st guide from tip top XPTCFZG06 Alps "RRD" SS316 Single foot with Zirconium ring
2nd guide from tip top XPTCFZG06
3rd guide from tip top XPTCFZG06
4th guide from tip top XPTCFZG06
5th guide from tip top: XPTCFZG07
6th guide from tip top: XPTCFZG08
7th guide from tip top: XTCLXNZG10 Alps Light XN ss316 RRD with polished zirconium ring
8th guide from tip top: XTCLXNZG10 Alps Light XN ss316 RRD with polished zirconium ring
9th guide from tip top: XTCLXNZG12 Alps Light XN ss316 RRD with polished zirconium ring
10th guide from tip top:
11th guide from tip top:
12th guide from tip top:
13th guide from tip top:
14th guide from tip top:
15th guide from tip top:
16th guide from tip top:
Guide spacing Specs(inches from tip, center ring over mark) 4-8-12-16.5-21.5-27.25-33.5-41.25-49.25

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 19, 2008 05:36PM

I agree with Karry that unless one goes to the trophy catch and release lakes out west, a serious stick is not needed, and in fact may be tiring to cast all day long. I go to a good pike lake in Ontario every year and have found that a 6 1/2 foot length is good when fishing two to a 14 foot boat, ( if both fishermen have 7 foot rods it can get a little crowed in the boat, too!) but if I were fishing from a longer boat I would also prefer a 7 foot rod, medium action. Heavies don't cast 1/2-3/4 lures as well as a medium, and mediums don't stress the arm as much. That is important if you are making many hours worth of casts a day.

I have a Loomis spinner bait rod, 7 foot, one piece, and it has an action that may be similar to what Karry is recommending. I think it would be an ideal pike casting rod. Lots of butt power, fast tip, not too stiff. I don't take my better rods to Canada because the rods really take a beating there, not so much from the fish but from being crowded into a 14 foot fishing boat. Two piece rods are easier to fly with, too.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster