I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cutting a blank
Posted by: Chad Rivers (---.sip.clt.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 10, 2008 12:25PM

What is the best tool for cutting the tip on a blank with when you want to shorten it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cutting a blank
Posted by: Ken Bonneau (---.dalecarnegie.com)
Date: July 10, 2008 12:27PM

Chad:

I use a Dremel w/ cut-off wheel

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.fsepg.com)
Date: July 10, 2008 12:30PM

Dremel for me and I use tape at the point of cutting to help avoid and splintering of the blank.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: July 10, 2008 02:11PM

Dremel here too....I like the little THIN diamond cut off wheels for choping blanks....and like suggested use the tape.

DR

Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.colc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: July 10, 2008 03:03PM

very fine hacksaw in a straight mitre box with tape round blank

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 10, 2008 03:36PM

The best thing is a high speed tool with an abrasive cut off wheel mounted on the tool.
If you use thin abrasive wheels, you will need the least power and have the longest disk life.

For example:

[]

or

[]

I have picked up one of these orange mini chop saws, took off the 2 inch saw blade, and replaced the saw blade with a 3 inch thin abrasive wheel.

[www.northerntool.com]

--------
If you have air in your shop - you could use an air driven high speed cut off tool:

[www.northerntool.com]

-----------------
I have also modified an 8 inch miter saw to use an abrasive disk. Because an abrasive disk wears - not like a saw blade which does not have its diamter decrease; I elevated the cutting bed by 3 inches, so that as the abrasive blade wears, the saw will still chop with the smaller wheel. For disks, I use the very thin machine room cut off wheels:

[www.grainger.com]

p.s.
This miter saw, modified to be used as a chop saw also does a wonderful job of chopping pvc tubes for shipping.
I also use it to chop finished handles to a different length, or to chop the end of a rod butt to give a clean finished end after a glue up.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Chad Rivers (---.222.82.166.ip.windstream.net)
Date: July 10, 2008 05:10PM

Sounds like a dremel or similar is the best bet. Has anyone tried a small tubing/pipe cutter?

Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.colc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: July 10, 2008 05:31PM

yup shattered out way too many splinters its ok on thin wall at the butt end but no good on say a 20 wt fibreglass boat rod

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 11, 2008 01:16PM

Before I bought my Dremel (thin fiber cutoff wheel with masking tape). I put tape on the blank and used a triangle file to cut the blank. These are the two best methods I've found for cutting a blank.

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: July 11, 2008 02:41PM

Roger Wilson's solution (above) is what we did about a year ago. Harbor freight also has these kinds of auxiliary tools.

We use the not only for cutting tips but for cutting butt sections to shorten the rod, too. We also use this for cutting pre-formed cork, or anything else we want perfectly straight and squared-up (for example, when a customer asks us to modify the rear grip or butt on an OEM rod to shorten it, lengthen it, add a gimbal, etc.)

This tool eliminates the chance of splitting the fibers on the remaining blank.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Philip Marz (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: July 13, 2008 01:08PM

I'm going against the grain here but with good reason. The best or least damaging way to cut a rod is by using a fine file. The finer the better. Jewelers files would work best but aren't necessary. Simply turn the file on its edge and start slowly cutting while turning the blank until you get through. Allow the file to do the work by not cutting to deep on any one stroke. When using the right amount of pressure the rod material will turn to dust with no chips or splinters. If excess pressure is applied by trying to cut to deep the fibers will splinter weakening the blank. A weakened blank will egg shape under pressure and ultimately collapse and break. It takes no more time, just about as much effort and probably cheaper to use a file rather than some of the other tools available.

While it may seem normal to tape off a blank, use power tools, coarse or fine blades, hack saws, etc. its a mistake due to the fact that its impossible to protect the inside of your blank!

Protect your investment by using a file!

Phil

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 14, 2008 12:40AM

The graphite will soon ruin the edges of fine files. Initially they work quite well, just requiring a bit of elbow grease, but after a few blanks they will wear. Very right though to mention not pushing too hard, just let the file do the work. It is tedious.

Taping the blank gives an alignment edge to cut to, holds the outer fibres together to minimise outer edge splintering (damage and breaks occur from failure of outer fibres first!!), and although not as significant, protects the outer surface somewhat should you slip on starting the cut.

The dremel with the ceramic/diamond cutoff wheel is the best bet. It cuts by abrasion, and doesn't splinter the graphite, due to high speed. With a file, you will get some small splintering on the inside. Saws do the same. They basically cut in similar fashion, it's just that the smaller the tooth, the less damage it makes by gripping before cutting.

It is also very possible to protect the inside of the blank. It depends on where you are cutting, and you need a lot of sizes of disposable scrap pieces, plus something to push them out with afterwards.

Posted by: Chuck Ungs (---.dsl.iowatelecom.net)
Date: July 14, 2008 12:06PM

Take a look at any archery shop that cuts and adds nocks and points to carbon arrows and you will always find high speed abrasive cut-off saws. The diameter is larger than a dremel but they are very effective to cut things off square. The next best thing if you don't wish to spend the money on such a tool AND you don't have any other tools around eligible to holds such an abrasive wheel is a dremel with the cut-off disks. They work great - are useful for many other jobs with the variety of attachments available and are fairly inexpensive at the same time. They work great for me - but please use them outside - the graphite doesn't mix well with lung tissue. Good luck with whatever choice you make, Chuck Ungs

Posted by: Chad Rivers (---.sip.clt.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 14, 2008 12:22PM

Thanks for all of the information. I do have access to a dremel and plan to go that route.

Posted by: mike nash (---.rbbmt.net)
Date: August 26, 2008 07:54PM

Am I to understand that the use of a small "chop" saw from harbor freight with a very fine wheel is the best thing to use when making a one piece blank into a two piece. I also have a question as to where to cut the blank to fit the ferrule (American Tackle company brass ferrule)?

Posted by: mike nash (---.rbbmt.net)
Date: August 27, 2008 01:00AM

Sorry just needed to check the email box.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster