I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need tips for slick butt/gimbal/reel seat fitting
Posted by: Phil Richmond (124.40.47.---)
Date: July 10, 2008 04:20AM

Putting together a G-USA blank from Billy with Merrick painted slick butt, EZ tight reel seat, and gimbal. I got both sizes of Batson's gimbal just to ensure I got one that fit best.

The last slick but I put together, looked like it fit OK, but leaches salt from the cracks after fishing trips, which tells me the space is too big and water is getting inside. Piecing everything to the butt, I can't seem to get that quite seemless connection. Am I missing something? Are there pieces to go on the ends of the slick butt to make life easier?

Thanks,
Phil

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2008 04:20AM by Phil Richmond.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need tips for slick butt/gimbal/reel seat fitting
Posted by: Scott Parsons (205.244.119.---)
Date: July 10, 2008 08:20AM

Phil, I have built a few rods with slick butts. I have a few questions. What are you using for bushings and what size gimbal are you using 2,3,or 4. I always use a 4 and I use a full bushing made from the urethane foam and I make it complete from the butt where the gimbal goes on all the way to the tip side of the reel seat. I usually do it in 2 pieces 1 for the slick butt and 1 for the reel seat. I don't know how long your slick butt is. Mine are usually 8 inches. But doing it this way I have no water issuses, cause water can't go anywhere. Email me if you need further details. Thanks Scott

Posted by: Phil Richmond (124.40.47.---)
Date: July 10, 2008 08:43AM

I was thinking the same thing, ordered some foam today from Mudhole. Also thought about a solid bushing made from 8lb foam.

Gimbal? Batson only has two sizes, I picked them both up. Before when I used the Aftco parts, I used a smaller one, not a four for sure.

Phil

Posted by: Ernie Johnson (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: July 10, 2008 09:59AM

Phil

I have found the Aftco fits a little better with the Merri!k sleeve. After I have the slick butt in place, (I use drywall tape), I put rod bond at the ends of the slick butt with my finger so no water can go up(I also do that to the reel seet )...After I wrap the rod, I install the gimbal and have never had water seepage issues..

I have not tried the long arbor method, but is sounds good...I just don't like reaming out that much on an arbor...takes forever and usually I am a hair off center..

Posted by: Michael A Taylor (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: July 10, 2008 03:46PM

Phil,
The correct size gimbal is a 4. If you want a nice edge where the gimbal and the slick butt join together that does not have any gaps where water can seep into the joint all you have to do is after careful shimming of the gimbal and slick butt is bond the gimbal and the butt on at the same time and use a cork clamp to force the two pieces together. After that sets up then install the reel seat and the foregrip. Just did one this week and the bond line is invisable and all the parts are in perfect alingment.

Michael A Taylor
Bluewater Fly Tackle

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster