I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Lathe Warning
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 09, 2008 09:26PM

Just want to relay something that happened to me a few hours ago so that you will be careful when turning!

I was turning a wood grip on a 3/8" steel mandrel when the tail stock end came off of the live center (only thing that I can think of is that the mandrel bowed enough for the end to come off of the live center). Centrifugal force made the mandrel bend almost 90 degrees and was spinning like a 2,000 rpm windmill in the chuck. By the time that I was able to hit the ground, it had caught the back of my hand (all swollen) and put a nasty gash in my big stomach. I hit the ground but couldn't reach the lathe power switch because of the windmilling mandrel but was able to crawl and pull the plug. I

I think that I may start using a "Live" Jacobs chuck in the tail stock so that both ends of the mandrel ar secured. Penn State know offers an MT2 "live" drill chuck that would prevent that happening [www.pennstateind.com]
That was a close call that I don't ever want to see again!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lathe Warning
Posted by: shawn storey (---.satx.res.rr.com)
Date: July 09, 2008 09:54PM

strange same thing happened to me today while i was turning some cork.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 09, 2008 09:59PM

The idea of using the live tailstock is a good one.
However, the use of the live tailstock cuts down your milling length. so, if your lathe is just long enough to turn the handle you want witt the normal tailstock - you won't be able to use the chuck style live tail stock.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 09, 2008 10:03PM

Glad to hear you're ok Mike. Sounds like you hadn't tightened up to the mandrel with the tailstock enough, and the cutting pressure bowed it enough for it to push free of the live centre. The end whipping round and bending is frightening. A live chuck in the tailstock would work: you'd just have to make sure the centres are aligned, but you already know that.

When I dabbled with a bit of wood turning for inserts and grips I used a metal lathe at the workshop at my university's engineering department. The tailstocks have 2 locks: one for the base of the tailstock and one for the screw feed. Using mandrels or when turning pieces that needed end support, after drilling the pilot hole with the centre drill, we set the piece fairly firmly in the headstock chuck, then pushed the tailstock right up to the workpiece, with the screw feed locked. We then locked the tailstock, and tightened the chuck. Then slacken the screw feed in the tailstock, retighten and lock that in place. I would think the tailstock on a wood lathe would have that second locking for the feed screw as well.

Hope the hand and stomach wound heal quickly.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: July 09, 2008 10:25PM

I have almost had the same accident with a live center by failing to lock down the tail stock or not having it tight enough when I locked it down. I only turn cork and EVA at a little under 1000 rpm. But thats enough rpm to make your wife a widow.

Mike , you may have cracked one of the little bones in your hand, better have it looked at. Wouldn't worry too much about breaking your belly, but the hand,,,, you really need those. I mean,,, who would I get to make me a pretty set of grips......???

Seems like you just can't be too careful with rotating equipment. I have seen some bad , bad accidents with lathes and drills over the years.

Shawn, hope you didn't get hit also.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: July 09, 2008 11:44PM

Mike,

Glad you're ok.......scary!.

DR

Re: Lathe Warning...and shop safety
Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: July 10, 2008 12:00AM

"Seems like you just can't be too careful with rotating equipment. I have seen some bad, bad accidents with lathes and drills over the years"............. me too Jay, one a fatality with larger spinning equipment...really horrible results forever stuck in a brain cell I cant destroy

...thanks for the warning Mike, hope your okay. Posted warnings are a good thing. You never know when something will happen working with high speed, cuttting tools and torque. Triple check your equipment, set ups, and tooling folks. Wear safety glasses and hand protection.....no loose clothing (or long hair Billy)

My occupation has me repeatedly involved in OSHA training and other affliated safety seminars and courses.

"Complacency" was last weeks issue in a safety training class.....doing something like spinning a grip " done it a million times". " I dont need to wear gloves or safety glasses".." wearing protective equiptment is for pussy cats"..."the equipments fine, worked yesterday"

Things to think about.

NERB that types with a bar of Ivory soap in his mouth.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: July 10, 2008 12:51AM

Michael Joyce; you've got mail !

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.fsepg.com)
Date: July 10, 2008 07:48AM

One thing I have seen when I have turned parts but was lucky enough to catch it before anything happened, I was using a 3-jaw chuck on my lathe and while turning, the mandrel had slipped into the chuck just a bit. I could tell something was wrong because I could hear a noise coming from the tailstock. So now I only use a Jacobs chuck instead of a 3-jaw chuck to drive my mandrel. I can put the mandrel all the way into the chuck and then tighten up the tailstock and it is not going anywhere.

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: July 10, 2008 07:56AM

Another thing to make sure is that you have the chuck tight on the mandrel, if it loosens up it will slip in the chuck and allow the center to slip out of the mandrel. I worked in a machine shop for 10 years and I really don't think a 3/8" shaft would flex enough to allow a thoroughly snugged up and tightened down center to slip out of the mandrel. I would take a good look at your center for the tail stock to be sure it isn't damaged and not fitting all the way in the center hole of the mandrel. Also you should have noticed it start to wobble before it completely let loose.

Glad to hear you only had minor injuries, spinning metal especially at 2000 rpm can be very dangerous. I hope everyone takes a minute to check their tools to be sure they are in working order and being used in a safe manner. I too have had a couple minor incidents with lathes and other machine tools and in every case I messed up on something setting it up for use.

I don't want to talk down to anyone just sharing some experience with machine tools.

Posted by: John Britt (---.97-97.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 10, 2008 08:09AM

Mike I have had that happen to me twice must be a little faster then you as no damage except to nerves. Both times it was due to the mandrel slipping into the head stock. Warnings like you have given is a great reminder to us all thanks.
John

Posted by: Scott Parsons (205.244.119.---)
Date: July 10, 2008 08:25AM

Wow, Mikeglad to hear you wern't hurt too badly. Hope you are alright. Scott

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: July 10, 2008 08:50AM

glad your ok mike. those power tools can really get. i always check and recheck the mandrels as i turn. the use of a live chuck on the tail stock should help prevent this

Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.colc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: July 10, 2008 09:03AM

Safety is often overlooked for instance how many people use handcream after using alchohol or epoxy.????????
An incedent like this often kick starts the saftey switch in all of us to check everything recheck then continually check during the process
you only get one life (althouth body parts can be made and billy would probably wrap it for you) its not like a computer game where you just restart. when it goes belly up
You can drown in as little as two inches of water and what seems a "minor" incendent can prove fatal so let this be all of our warnings as to checking AND Using our power tools and safety equipment .
It may only be cork or eva that you turn but its the same machine and tooling AND mandrels livestocks that you can turn a five inch diameter table leg with. and you wouldnt turn one of those without your goggles and stuff would you ???. if you would then frankly you should not be using power tools at all

I to have seen many very bad so called "accidents" in a very heavy engineering / foundry enviroment.M ost of which were caused by operator error and to memory only one that i can recall that was machine failiure
dont wish to appear unconcerned or nasty in any way shape or form but glad to hear you are OK AND glad that you had the balls to post you incedent here so others can take heed

Allen

Posted by: Chris Davis (216.186.210.---)
Date: July 10, 2008 09:05AM

You're lucky, Mike. The price paid for lessons learned is often much higher. Your near-serious accident will probably prevent many others. Everyone that reads about your experience will treat their tools with renewed respect.

Solution
Posted by: Ken Finch (---.coi.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 10, 2008 09:54AM

Here is what happened. When you chuck up the mandrel and then push and tighten the tailstock center against the mandrel you end up pushing the mandrel back into the chuck. As you turn the mandrel will tend to continue slipping back into the chuck. It didn't bend, it just kept moving back and further away from the tailstock. At some point it just came off the tailstock center cone. Don't ask me how I know!

Do this- Get a drill stop collar. It is a metal ring with a set screw on it. Slip it on your mandrel and bring it down to the face of your chuck and tighten it down. Then slide up the tailstock center and tighten that in place. Now the mandrel can't slip back into the chuck even a tiny bit and the tailstock will never lose it's "bite" on the machined end of the mandrel. This little trick, which I think was in Rodmaker a while ago, or some wood turner showed me, has never failed me.

Posted by: Robert Moffat (---.253.205.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: July 10, 2008 10:31AM

Glad to read that you are ok. I am just getting over the brused big belly thing myself. had a piece fly off the drill press while working and hit my belly. Be careful out there and don't do what we do but heed our advise.

Posted by: Ked Stanfield (---.dhcp.insightbb.com)
Date: July 10, 2008 11:16AM

I was turning a piece of walnut down for a fly reel seat. It bound up and shot the gouge across the room...scared me a little bit!

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dotnet.com)
Date: July 10, 2008 12:01PM

Geez Mike, glad you are OK. Do you think you can give us a demonstration at next year's EXPO of how you crawled under the bench to pull the plug? We could do it in the seminar room or the bar later in the evening :)

Buzz

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.airproducts.com)
Date: July 10, 2008 12:08PM

Thanks for posting the tip Ken, I have a couple of 3/8" drill stop collars setting around and will try what you suggest. I've been using essentially the same setup as Mike is.

Jeff

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster