I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reel Seat Placement - Conventional Surf Plugging Rod
Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.phlapafg.covad.net)
Date: July 07, 2008 10:09AM

Sorry for the Newbie question, but I'm in the process of building a 9-foot conventional surf plugging rod, rated 2-5 ounces, that will be used with an Abu Garcia baitcasting reel, and set up as a spiral.

I'm relatively new to conventional surfcasting, and in monkeying around with this thing I've been driving myself crazy over where to put the reel seat. The easy thing would be to put it where it feels best, but my problem is that I don't have enough on-the-water conventional surfcasting experience to be able to ascertain exactly where that is. I'm afraid that if and when I get more proficient with conventional casting, I'll wish I had put the reel seat in a different place.

I may end up using a temporary fix -- using cork tape for the grip, and taping or clamping the reel in place until I find a configuration I like the best -- but I'm wondering if we have any diehard convench pluggers out there who might like to chime in. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reel Seat Placement - Conventional Surf Plugging Rod
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: July 07, 2008 10:58AM

This is kind of hard to explain, but take the rod blank, put the butt where you are going to put it for reeling in the fish, IE middle or lower stomach, then put the tip on the back of a chair or something higher than your butt placement, let it rest there, then for four or five times close your eyes and grab the blank, make a small mark each time you grab it, average out where you grabbed it, thats where you want your reel seat. Hope this helps.

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 07, 2008 12:55PM

Hi Chris,

Here is how I measure a customer for conventional reel seat location.

While holding the blank parallel to the floor place the butt end into your arm pit as far as it will go. Now run your hand up the blank, where it stops is where the reel seat will go. I set the reel seat so that when you cast your thumb sits on the spool. This will give you maximum extension of your arms while casting. Just like a HOME RUN hitter in baseball.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.colc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: July 07, 2008 01:27PM

thats the way i do mine too stick it in your armpit and "ccock"the thumb where your thumb sits is where the reel CENTRE will be its give or take a couple of inches, then when you cast you push with the reel hand and pull hard with the butt hand . This gives maximum "pull bend" to the rod. Saying that though others like a reel "down the butt" configuration that is about 1.5 times the width of the hand but if your not into casting haeavily then the up butt config is the safest easiest bet

Allen

Date: July 07, 2008 03:16PM

Thanks for the tips, guys. I think I'll try the armpit method, and go from there. I appreciate taking the time to reply to my stupid question.

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 07, 2008 06:52PM

Hi Chris,

An honest question in quest of knowledge is never stupid. Keep asking. Remember we had to ask questions many years ago but the availability of answers was not great. Thanks to the Internet a newbie can get up to speed so much faster, especially if he gets good answers.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 07, 2008 07:56PM

I use Allen's method, with the reel spool sitting where the thumb is cocked. When I used Abu 6500's with the CT frame, this allowed you to really lock the thumb down and over the spool when power casting. The butt in the armpit is what gives maximum push/pull, because it uses maximum reach (push) for the upper arm, and maximum leverage (pull) for the lower arm to pull the butt right into the armpit. Any longer and you smack your rod butt into your chest, shorter and you cramp your pull stroke.

Date: July 08, 2008 09:47AM

One of the things that I like about rodbuilding is that it keeps you humble. You build a bunch of rods, think you've figured out all (or most) of what you need to know... and then something like this pops up, something that's so simple that it drives you nuts because you think you should know it, but you don't. Thanks, guys.

Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 08, 2008 02:30PM

Do you use plugs that weigh 5oz? On my 1226, which I sometimes use to throw 4, I use all of that length in order to get leverage. But I also have a 10' Lami rated 2 to 5 which really likes three, and I notice that I usually don't need all the leverage and move my left hand up some on the butt. I would test it some but I think I could get plenty of leverage on a 9' rod w/o needing the butt all the way to my armpit. Then again, you can always choke up is the butt is longer than you need, but you can't move your hand farther down if the butt is too short.

Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.colc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: July 08, 2008 02:44PM

Or build it short and use a british thing called a reducer. a length of butt that slips in extending the butt for casting removed while fishing

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster