I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Thread puller loops
Posted by: Deke Rivers (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: July 06, 2008 05:53PM

What do you guys use for your thread pullers ?
I've heard loops made from mono fishing line to unwaxed dental floss and everything
in between........your help please !

D.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread puller loops
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 06, 2008 05:56PM

Size D thread

Posted by: Peter Bunting (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: July 06, 2008 06:03PM

Power Pro Braided Line. Make a loop and fasten some masking tape on to the opposite end of the loop so you can find it on your workbench.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: July 06, 2008 06:08PM

I use a piece of Spider Wire with each end tied to a little barrel swivel. Keep another one handy in case I inadvertently put the first one in backward. Yes I've done it a few times. I like Spider Wire because it's small , slick and strong. Actually I like to use any of the braided lines.

Date: July 06, 2008 06:11PM

In response to Jay's spiderwire - what #pound test do you find to work best for you ?

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: July 06, 2008 07:50PM

I use a piece of mono with a flourescant bead tied to the end

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Pat Helton (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: July 06, 2008 08:27PM

I use unwaxed dental floss and a small bead. The floss seems to glide under the thread much easier than thread or mono.
Pat

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 06, 2008 09:17PM

I use 30# braid and just toss a few knots into it - about a 3" loop and a 2" tag.

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.20.29.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: July 06, 2008 09:19PM

Floss threaders. There have been several posts here about them in the past, and a picture, I think. They work fantastically well.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 06, 2008 09:24PM

Deending on what size thread I'm using, I use 6# Fireline for size A, and for size B with a lot of tensionI use 15# Fireline. I make sure to clean the line with Denatured and I do a sample wrap where I pull the loop back and forth several times to remove the coating. I tie yarn on my loop this way it doesn't flop all over the place like the barrel swivels and plastic beads.

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 06, 2008 10:01PM

10 lb spiderwire with a small bead tied to it.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 06, 2008 10:06PM

10 lb FINS braid, with a fluoro red bead tied on the end.

Posted by: Chris Davis (216.186.210.---)
Date: July 06, 2008 10:15PM

I use the smallest braid possible that won't break-I'm with with Billy on cleaning it-all synthetic fibers have a finish of some kind applied to them in the winding process so that they will move smoothly through the machines. Probably prevent problems with your finish. Used to work in a Dupont Dacron plant-finish applied had formaldehyde in it. I put a bead on the end-so I can FIND IT on the table. Little piece of blue tape keeps it from flopping around.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: July 06, 2008 10:47PM

10# powerpro with a yarn flag (so I can find it)

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: July 06, 2008 11:13PM

Deke; I use 10 to 30 lb I think. It doesn't really matter, 10 lb is strong enough. I use the barrel swivel because it is easy for me to pick up off the bench. I have never had a finish problem from using the braid, of course I always use CP.

Posted by: Scott Kelly (---.west.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 06, 2008 11:29PM

Does anyone know of any method to tie off metallic thread without it breaking while pulling it through?

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 07, 2008 12:05AM

I also use the Dental Floss Threaders. They're cheap and readily available at any drug store or Wally World. They last a long time and will pull any thread without breaking.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 07, 2008 12:31AM

Scott Kelly Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does anyone know of any method to tie off metallic
> thread without it breaking while pulling it
> through?

Yes, reduce thread tension. Also, (and I do this with all thread) pinch down the end where the thread will tuck back under when you pull through. This ensures only the tag gets pulled underneath, and prevents it from twisting too much.

Date: July 07, 2008 01:50AM

I would like to take this time to thank all of those who responded to my question on thread puller loops........
I see there are many and various methods used accross the board - everyone has their own take on it.
With what I have learned, I'll be trying several that have been discussed here, and see what works best
for me.

Again, THANK YOU ALL !!

D.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: July 07, 2008 08:02AM

To piggyback Teds metallic thread trick, make less turns over the tie off - teh more turns the more tension that builds up. Another thing I don't think people think about, is the length of teh tag end. Teh longer the tag end is, teh more that has to get pulled through. With metallix, this will result in the thread twisting and kinking up as it is pulled through.

The other think I like about Fireline is that it is stiff. My loop is 5", and what I try to do if make the loop round and open so that when I cut the tag end it falls right into the loop so I dont' have to fiddle with grabbing the tag and manually putting it through.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster