I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bubble Appearing Late in Cure of Finish
Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 05, 2008 08:14AM

I used LS Supreme Hi Build to cover a label yesterday and it worked great; however, a large "pock" appeared late in the cure. There is only one and it happened over exposed blank surface, not as a result of air under a thread. My questions are:

If it's an air bubble, do I just shave it off and apply another coat of epoxy?

Is it possibly a silicone issue (never had one before), and if so, what do I need to do to clean it up. Can I scrub the area well with alcohol or acetone and apply a second coat of finish?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bubble Appearing Late in Cure of Finish
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 05, 2008 08:48AM

Unlikely to be silicone or you'd have had a lot more of them.

Most likely it was a bubble that was trapped in the finish at the time you mixed or applied it. This is one reason you need to babysit the finish for at least an hour or until the finish is set pretty well instead of applying it and just walking away.

Shave it off and apply another coat. You should be fine.

Clean the razor blade with alcohol, first. Some are treated with a lubricant or rust preventative.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 05, 2008 09:31AM

If the "thing" appeared over a blank surface there may have been a slight difference in the "water break" surface that the finish was adhering too. If this is what you are observing it will be more like a void than a stick up which could be airborne contamination. If you applied the finish immediately after mixing you MAY have encountered the "fresh finish phenomena" that Roger Seiders describes in his talks on finish application. He advises to wait at least five minutes after mixing a finish to apply to long flat butt sections to insure that the internal molecular forces that are created by catalization of the components do not cause unwanted movement of the finish.

This also could be the answer to the Gregory thread which is two below this one.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2008 09:35AM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Adam S. Hoelper (---.15.54.51.res-cmts.mtp.ptd.net)
Date: July 05, 2008 11:40AM

Its very likely that it was oil residue left from you handling the rod pre finish. The oil on your nose, ears and other parts of your body will repel paint, epoxy and other finishes that are in capable of dissolving the oil it is applied over.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: July 05, 2008 12:32PM

I would do exactly as Tom stated. But I would also coat the bad area with a dab of CP just in case it was caused by some sort of contaminate. This may prevent it from happening again, assuming it's still there. I do this just for insurance purposes.

Posted by: Bill Lane (---.san.res.rr.com)
Date: July 05, 2008 06:06PM

Bill... I'll bet you can't say that three times. lol

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster