I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Split Grip Question
Posted by: tolan furusho (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 04, 2008 12:07PM

Recently, I have seen more and more "split grips". Apparently these are relatively old and are making a comeback. What are the merits of a split grip? How does it improve rod performance? If it does in fact make a rod better, why did it fall from favor?

Thanks for all the input.
peace
t

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Split Grip Question
Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 04, 2008 12:49PM

Lighter weight, less "wasted" grip material. Allows for a bit more decorative space on a custom rod. Helps casting efficiency by effecting proper hand location for double handed casting.

Plus........THEY LOOK COOL!!

Quite right that split grips are actually an old design. They have been in use on surf and carp rods for as long as I know, well before they became all the rage. It never fell from favour, it just wasn't used and perceived to be necessary on lighter and shorter rods.

A downside to the split grip design is that it can affect rod balance. The lighter handle sometimes makes the rod a little tip heavy. Also, IMHO, to look appealing, the proportions have to be right, otherwise they just look funny. I like my split grips with the butt just longer than the bit behind the reel seat. Enough to grip with a full hand, not the really little end buttons you see on some rods. Behind the seat? Just enough to rest the heel of the hand on when holding the rod and reel as you would when fishing.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 04, 2008 09:02PM

One answer --- -
MONEY

Today, quality cork is getting expensive.

A full grip typically takes about 20 rings to complete.
A split grip takes about 9 rings to complete.

If you are paying $2 per ring for quality cork this cost is $40 compared to $18.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Denis Brown (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 04, 2008 09:06PM

Tolan
How did you get on with your line tangling problem in your prev post.

Split grips have a downside if the rod is used in a rodholder (boat etc )& the bare blank section sits at the top of the rodholder.
Its something to think about and plan dimensions of the location & size of your split grips if you use in a rodholder. for most short double handed rods its pretty easy to organise the grip sections so the top section of the split grip below the reel fits an inch or two into the top of your rodholder.
They do enable a bit more artistry with the rod building & can provide a very positive grip on the butt , you can wrap your hand around, when casting, particularly useful with longer rods.
Agree that rod balance can be affected a little...........but a lead plug under the butt cap can fix that in a flash
if the balance of the completed outfit with reel needs tickling up a bit.
DenisB

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: July 05, 2008 01:20AM

Tolan,
I am putting split grips on rods that I am building for my 4 and 5 year-old children, because the split grip allows me to "extend" the butt. This way, they can rest the butt of the rod on their laps or stomachs when fighting a fish, or even put the end of the rod under an arm pit. If you've ever watched a young child try to reel a rod with a load on it, you realize that they don't have much upper body strenght or coordination. The lakes that they will be fishing have BIG (up to 30") trout, and I want the kids to have a realistic chance of being able to land at least one of the smaller 20 inchers that are pretty common. I figured that the longer butt section would help them conrol the rod a bit more and get more leverage, plus I get to do an extra wrap this way.
George

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2008 01:24AM by George Forster.

Posted by: Ked Stanfield (---.dhcp.insightbb.com)
Date: July 05, 2008 08:43PM

I really think that cost effective is why some production companies are going to the split grip...they know every way to save a buck...thats the funny part they're saving money and charging more...But it for me ads a decorative appeal. I do a but wrap and then just trim the split and do my company name and the customers name in the blank space.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 05, 2008 10:59PM

Production companies are doing it to keep up with the times. Not sure about saving bucks for them, even if it's just the grip material savings. Twice the reaming (although a smaller piece each time), two winding checks or decorative wraps, and any other finishing work inside the split.

Posted by: Charlie Smoote (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: July 06, 2008 02:46PM

I go back to the days of cord winding and believe that split grips were originally caused by laziness. Time spent wrapping cord in the unused space consumed valuable fishing time. We didn't, and I still don't, apply, any finish to the cord which makes a very attractive and functional grip.

It was easier to wrap the cord just enough to act as grips. The space between really didn't matter.

I still cord wrap and use it on surf rods with sand spikes. It makes a very durable handle. I wrap the cord just enough to make the grips and use something else between the grips to do the fancy stuff. The little that I do. I'm of the 'old school' but believe that ribbon and tape are legitimate tools for doing the 'in between' zone. JMHO, C2

Posted by: Richard Forhan (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 06, 2008 06:36PM

Ted nailed it - both posts. The rest of the story is in my book "Powerhand Baitcasting" and article in RodMaker on split grips. Form follows function - bass rod manufacturers follow ideas laid down by those that actually bass fish at a high enough level to understand "function" and the custom rod building knowledge to affect "form".

Posted by: tolan furusho (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 06, 2008 07:58PM

Thanks guys! It appears that the split grip is used more for form than function. I did take Tom's advice and unkinked my line and things seem to be working well. It must have been all those imaginary fish I caught that was twisting up my braid.

Thanks again. Your insight and willingness to assist makes me proud to be a ROD BUILDER.

Peace
t

Posted by: Richard Forhan (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 07, 2008 03:50AM

tolan - "It appears that the split grip is used more for form than function." - not true. Split grips are on Bass rods because I put them there - then wrote about why in a book, article, and many posts on the web. I put the split grip on Bass rods for FUNCTION only. They enhance two-handed casting from all angles plus sensitivity (lighter weight).

The entire development of my Revolver Rod was about function first - with form given consideration ONLY if it did not take the angler's eyes off the bass fishing technique being used. A Revolver Rod is just a tool I designed for top level bass anglers. it features a spiral wrap (stability), no fore-grip (sensitivity), split grip (casting efficiency and sensitivity), modified reel seat (sensitivity), with the Forhan locking wrap(durability) on Fuji J-ring guides. Each of these elements is likely to be cussed and discussed for some time to come. All of these elements have been an EASY sell to top level bass anglers (hence the copies you see out there now) - except for the spiral wrap. It is best appreciated if it's fished hard for numbers of Bass (especially Flippin' and Swim Baits) - or ONE time for any large ocean fish.

If you don't build freshwater bass rods - the split grip may or may not apply. However, those that do and ignore the split grip as a fad - are just being left farther behind. Tom Kirkman has published the future of bass rods in the pages of RodMaker. His role as a catalyst for advancement may never be fully appreciated.

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.north-highland.com)
Date: July 07, 2008 08:47AM

"If you don't build freshwater bass rods - the split grip may or may not apply."

Rich - I think the function of your innovations, including split grips, work as well on inshore rods. Also, I would include your Equal Distance spacing as a functional innovation - simple, works, less time in the shop and more time fishing - pretty functional imo.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster