I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly rod for bream
Posted by: Greg Marshall (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: July 03, 2008 08:41PM

I normally make bass rods but I'm looking for suggestions on a fly rod blank for bream fishing. May occasionally get a small largemouth on the line. Am vaguely familiar with the technique of fly fishing as far as making the cast but i'm completely illiterate on weights and lengths. Recently found an old walmart fly rod in my shed, slapped on some pretty line and took it out to see how it worked. Something was very out of sync. Line just did not want to stretch out there right. Probably wrong line purchased by uneducated angler. Just something I'd like to try here on the gulf coast rivers.
Any suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly rod for bream
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 03, 2008 08:55PM

If you want the maximum fight and feel from these fish, go long. At least 8 feet to 8 and a half feet in a 3 or 4-weight rod. You'll have a blast.

Posted by: Joshua Turner (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: July 04, 2008 12:35AM

I agree with tom, i'd also look for something a more moderate action

Posted by: Ked Stanfield (---.dhcp.insightbb.com)
Date: July 04, 2008 01:09AM

As far as fly rods goes, theres a lot to feel. I would suggest going to a fly shop and picking some up in the 3-5 wt class in different lengths and fiddling with them. Get an Idea for what kind of rod you want and then go from there. Some companies offer blanks as well as production rods so you can pick up a rod you like then get the blank and build it custom.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.dsl.frs2ca.pacbell.net)
Date: July 04, 2008 01:11AM

could have been the wrong weight of line on the rod, could have been a lackluster rod (from walmart), could have been your technique since you're new to it. or a combincation. there IS a specific timing involved with fly casting which really takes instruction from someone who knows what they're doing though there are videos online and DVDs you can buy which willl teach you the basics.

tom's suggestion on length and weight of line/rod sounds like a lot of fun. batson offers an RX6 in an 8 foot or 9 foot 4 wt which would work fine on the low end of the price scale.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.13.89.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: July 04, 2008 10:33PM

I've never flyfished, and wanted to learn. Built an 8 1/2 foot 2 pc. 5 wt. for myself recently. Used a Batson IM6 blank, not much money at all. The first time I tried, with absolutely no instructions, I about gave up. Couldn't cast it 10 feet!
A fellow I work with took it, and was able to cast the entire line, so I figured it was made ok! He gave me some tips, and I can get the fly out far enough now.
The first time I used it, caught 15 bream. It is a ball! I still have trouble with line control. Until I get that under control, it is going to be a mess if I catch a big fish. The line will probably get tangled all around me.

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 06, 2008 12:56AM

Steve, get some basic flycasting lessons and go from there. Learn a few basic techniques and flyfishing will be even more fun. Line control is part of it, for sure. Try your local fly shop. Most give free or inexpensive lessons.

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 08, 2008 02:10PM

Forecast F864-4 looks pretty sweet, is priced right and packs small.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster