I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Single Foot Fly Guides on Muskie Rods - which are the tuffest?
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: July 03, 2008 07:30PM

I want to use SF fly guides for running guides on some muskie rods. I know most styles will hold up to the fish, I am more concerned about the fisherman.

Any thoughts on which styles are the tuffest (abuse resistant)?

Thanks,
Marc

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Single Foot Fly Guides on Muskie Rods - which are the tuffest?
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 03, 2008 07:35PM

Spiral wrap or conventional on top and what sizes?

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: July 03, 2008 07:43PM

Marc,

I've had good luck with Batsons on Musky rods, I use sz6 running fly guides and depending on the reel size, I like an 8 for the stripper, 10 if it's a high profile reel. Spiral wrapped 100%. The Zirconium ring Batsons, they're nice and quite with the braided 100lb lines most use.

DR

Date: July 03, 2008 08:02PM

Almost all conventional wrapped - only was able to get one guy to go spiral this year!!

Usually size 8's.

Thanks,
Marc

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 03, 2008 08:49PM

Batson Polished 316 Framne Recessed Zirconium Ring -

Do you have printed material showing benefits of spiral in shop?

Are you convinced yourself that the spiral is a superior system?

Date: July 03, 2008 09:06PM

I do have printed info on spiral wraps, and do prefer them when. Up here in northern Wisconsin selling a spiral wrap is up there with trying to get a walleye guy to buy a 2 pc. rod!!!

Thanks for the guide choice - Bill, do you have any heavy Castaway blanks, like an MBC846, that can handle 2 oz. baits? I have built some MBC846's as medium muskie rods and the guys love them.

Thanks,
Marc

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 04, 2008 09:06PM

Bill,
No question about it - spiral wraps are superior.
You only have to fish with a well done spiral wrapped rod for a while and see for yourself.

Lighter weight, fewer guides, less stress on the guides and rod.

However, each to his own.

Take care
Roger

p.s.
In particular - for those rods like down rigging or trolling rods - the idea that the line is coming off the bottom of the rod - rather than the top - really helps with the idea of keeping the rod from twisting.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 04, 2008 09:21PM

BY FAR the toughest single foot guides are FUji T-LDBSG's - these are a round version of teh Power Ovals. TEhy are NOT teh lightest guide on teh market, but without a doubt are much stronger than any size 4-6 guide.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster